Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 112

Thread: Fellow Drexciyans!

  1. #1

    Default Fellow Drexciyans!

    I'm addicted to Drexciya like I'm addicted to Todd E. Only the 90s stuff when James Stinson was alive and well, obviously. The recent stuff is a bit dull and, well, not Drexciyan!

    Love the early sound, concept, art work, titles, everything. Maybe it appeals to me because I grew up in a coastal city. Hmm. I got the 'Journey Home' EP when it came out (after hearing Annie Nightingale play 'Hydro Theory' at 4 in the morning on Radio 1). I'm very pleased I did this because it's now worth a lot of money. Not that I will ever sell it, but I could never buy it now. I also have that Neptune's Lair album. But I wish I'd brought all their stuff when it first came out, because it's all so bloody rare, and so bloody good. The other day, I thought, I must get a copy of The Quest, so I went to discogs and...ha ha ha. Oh well.

    Enough about me. Drexciyans, declare yourselves!









    (Brilliant title!)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Colin Dale schooled me, c.1994.

    was a favourite of mine.


  3. #3

    Default

    , of course!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    133

    Default

    neon falls

    such a beautiful track.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    58

    Default

    neon falls

    such a beautiful track.
    Yes! Totally majestic. Glad to see some Drexciya love on the boards!

    Absolutely love Drexciya. They achieved a totally unique sound... I can't even really imagine which synths they used. And yes, the aesthetic vision and surrounding mythology certainly doesn't hurt either.

    craner - I actually have The Quest... but missed out on The Journey Home That Black Sea track is ace. Do you have any of those early eps that contribute tracks to The Quest? I think a couple are still in print... maybe you could snatch those up without too much trouble.

    Here's some favorites, off the top of my head:

    Bubble Metropolis (obvious, I know), - inescapable, motorik electro.

    - gotta love that playful bassline.

    Sea Quake - straight up acid meltdown.

    Also, off Neptune's Lair is one of my all-time favorite tunes ever. Undersea vistas spread out as far as the eye can see, a bracing blast of Detroit futurism and all in under two minutes!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Yeah Neptunes lair was huge for me, the tracks werent even that long but listening to that LP as a whole was like watching an awesome movie with many twists. And you could watch that movie over and over again oh. The intro is scary shit too.

    Harnessed the storm is quite special to me though. Its a totally dense surreal experiance, full of secrets. Soul of the sea is another emotional masterpiece.

  7. #7
    droid Guest

    Default



    This is the version with the pianos from the 'true people' compilation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    berlin
    Posts
    8,477

    Default

    more than just their sound, which is of course amazing, i find interesting the pseudo-political afro-centric dark futurism. don't remember exactly but the sleeve notes of Quest was some comic book sci-fi pan-africanism. can someone who knows more about this side expand, perhaps with anecdotes and music industry myths? i would love it, for instance, if they were connected with the 5 per centers or the panthers. they would have been totally into this thread.

    also worth noting is the "Afro-Electro" currently popping off in South Africa. of which this can certainly be seen as pre-cursor...

    and what happened to one of the duo? how did he die?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    more than just their sound, which is of course amazing, i find interesting the pseudo-political afro-centric dark futurism. don't remember exactly but the sleeve notes of Quest was some comic book sci-fi pan-africanism. can someone who knows more about this side expand, perhaps with anecdotes and music industry myths? i would love it, for instance, if they were connected with the 5 per centers or the panthers. they would have been totally into this thread.

    also worth noting is the "Afro-Electro" currently popping off in South Africa. of which this can certainly be seen as pre-cursor...

    and what happened to one of the duo? how did he die?
    he died during a heart operation, he had problems with his heart you see and it was touch and go, he died just before he released the transllusion record life or life is fast ending, aware of his possible fate.
    Drexciyan story is a race of militant human mutants who were descendants of the women and children who had been thrown off slave ships, had created their own civilisation and were ready to attack ours. nothing to do with 5 percenters or anything, just stuff from james stinsons head.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    berlin
    Posts
    8,477

    Default

    thanks... yes i suppose the entire vision is pretty singular and has that "outsider"/savant quality about it. if Sun Ra made electro?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    thanks... yes i suppose the entire vision is pretty singular and has that "outsider"/savant quality about it. if Sun Ra made electro?
    i dunno for me it's just powerful science fiction/ fantasy, don't think it's outsider or savant, it's quite a complete vision, music, story, plot, images , it's not like sun ra it's not cosmic and outer space, and not occult or mystical in anyway, and they didn't claim to be drexciyan, it's just characters.

    this is a good site for this kind of information, mr mueller is a fascinating character as well, his interviews are very interesting too, esp on the subjects of science and race.
    http://www.drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    283

    Default

    I adore certain Drexciyan releases, I've got most but on CD which is far easier/cheaper than it is for you poor vinyl junkies. For me it is all about Grava 4, The Journey Home, The Cosmic Memoirs Of The Late Great Rupert J. Rosinthrope and Lab Rat XL.

    I always thought that the Two Lone Swordsmen album 'Stay Down' was a worthy tribute to the Drexciyan underwater theme.

  13. #13

    Default

    I'm addicted to Drexciya like I'm addicted to Todd E. Only the 90s stuff when James Stinson was alive and well, obviously. The recent stuff is a bit dull and, well, not Drexciyan!
    as far as i'm aware there wasn't a single drexciya record produced without stinson's involvement. the project stopped when he died in the early 2000s.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by childrentalking View Post
    as far as i'm aware there wasn't a single drexciya record produced without stinson's involvement. the project stopped when he died in the early 2000s.
    I'm guessing he's talking about Gerald Donald's projects: Arpanet, Dopplereffekt, Glass Domain, Japanese Telecom, Der Zyklus, etc

    it's all good as far as I'm concerned

    but equally, it's not really Drexciyan

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I adore certain Drexciyan releases, I've got most but on CD which is far easier/cheaper than it is for you poor vinyl junkies. For me it is all about Grava 4, The Journey Home, The Cosmic Memoirs Of The Late Great Rupert J. Rosinthrope and Lab Rat XL.

    I always thought that the Two Lone Swordsmen album 'Stay Down' was a worthy tribute to the Drexciyan underwater theme.
    What CDs are there for a Jonny come lately like myself?

    Edit: Just went over to discogs. Riiiiight
    Last edited by hucks; 04-02-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •