Six Feet Under

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yes, this is very true. I dont know why but characters in english programmes are usually upper middle class. I could understand if it was average middle class, but people in Television must have bought into the concept of if a characters house has less than three bedrooms, the audience will not be able to sympathise with them.

As for 6 feet, i've said it before, but I suspect the UK didnt get the last series. It's hard to explain this without spoilers, but the last one on Channel 4 ended happily ever after. I read in a paper that the Americans got another series after that. Cant find anything on the net to confirm this though.

Only five series, I'm sure.

First paragraph: unless it's Shameless.

littlebird

Wild Horses
ending and seasons

As for 6 feet, i've said it before, but I suspect the UK didnt get the last series. It's hard to explain this without spoilers, but the last one on Channel 4 ended happily ever after. I read in a paper that the Americans got another series after that. Cant find anything on the net to confirm this though.

suppose it would depend on what you consider a "happy ending".

the show aired five episodes, the final season in 2005. i found the ending to be powerful, emotional, and well-fitting for the overall theme of the show. also, the use of the song in the collage of scenes was quite moving, as well.

but i know i've read reactions that found it contrived, or crticized that the closing "eyes" we see things through was mis-cast since Nate's pov we started the show with.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It might help to explain a couple of things about the middle class in the U.S.

As of when I last heard the numbers a few years ago, you're not considered "impoverished" by the State unless you make less than $20,000 a year for a family of four. You can basically forget about foodstamps or any kind of help if you make at least this much.

Middle class means everyone who is not on public assistance to everyone who makes less than a million a year, more or less, in the U.S. But the Fishers in SFU are a very solidly middle class family. They don't have a whole bunch of financial problems, they have a successful family business going. That's leagues ahead of the "average" family in the U.S. There's even a part where one of them uses an "inheritance" to move away. Most Americans do not have large inheritances, or even small ones.

Compared to most of the world, the American middle class has it great. (apparently)

P.S. The only character I actually like in that series is Keith. At a certain point I think the drama isn't interesting if the characters seem like teenagers to me.

Last edited:

littlebird

Wild Horses
Middle class means everyone who is not on public assistance to everyone who makes less than a million a year, more or less, in the U.S. But the Fishers in SFU are a very solidly middle class family. They don't have a whole bunch of financial problems, they have a successful family business going. That's leagues ahead of the "average" family in the U.S. There's even a part where one of them uses an "inheritance" to move away. Most Americans do not have large inheritances, or even small ones.

Compared to most of the world, the American middle class has it great. (apparently)

P.S. The only character I actually like in that series is Keith. At a certain point I think the drama isn't interesting if the characters seem like teenagers to me.

the fisher's are definitely middle class. the area they live in, where the funeral home resides, is a very middle class suburbon neighborhood. no one in the family experiences money issues, not even when the patriarch of the family passes away, and there are significant threats of a larger corporation taking over the family business (and discussions that they have lost business).

your description of the middle class in the US is spot on, i'd say, as is the varying degree of what is considered "middle class" (i'd almost say that the fisher's are closer to upper middle class in comparison to the US as a whole, but more moderate middle class in the context of California, where they fictionally reside).

Littlebird, I have sent you a PM. I want to resolve whether I have seen all 5 series or merely 4. If you wish to help me, could you send the answer by PM so as to not spoil it for Baboon who hasnt seen it all.

I'm desperate to know:eek: I havent seen the show in years but the curiosity still eats away at me

Nomad: If my guestimate of the pound-dollar exchange rate is correct, America's idea of the bottom end of Middle Class is what the UK would see as pretty poor. 20 grand $$ for a family of 4 is fuck all.

littlebird

Wild Horses
Littlebird, I have sent you a PM. I want to resolve whether I have seen all 5 series or merely 4. If you wish to help me, could you send the answer by PM so as to not spoil it for Baboon who hasnt seen it all.

I'm desperate to know:eek: I havent seen the show in years but the curiosity still eats away at me.

have PM'ed you back.

Cheers Littlebird! You're a lifesaver. Seems Channel 4 didnt show the final series after all. It seems to be availiable on DVD though. Exciting to think I've got another 10 hours of show ahead of me, I havent seen it in years now.

littlebird

Wild Horses
Cheers Littlebird! You're a lifesaver. Seems Channel 4 didnt show the final series after all. It seems to be availiable on DVD though. Exciting to think I've got another 10 hours of show ahead of me, I havent seen it in years now.

cheers. glad to help.

would love to know what you think of it once you watch. it is a very different feel from season 4.

littlebird

Wild Horses
I do not relate to the characters on Six Feet Under at all (although I like it ok, some seasons much better than others). I don't find any of them likable or relatable. Nate is especially awful. I hate that guy. I would rather die than spend a minute with that self-absorbed, adolescent douchebag. As for the way they all relate, I think they're a bunch of whiny, passive-aggressive middle class white people, just like any others.
this was my reaction to Salinger's Glass family, almost exactly. though would they be better classified as upper/upper middle class?