cavemen in space TM

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
is there a precedent for a cavemen in space story?
i think this could be a fantastic film.

i hereby copyright the idea.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
that movie came up when i brought this idea to a colleague. kubrick was so close to paydirt. i feel a moral obligation to bring this idea to the masses.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that movie came up when i brought this idea to a colleague. kubrick was so close to paydirt. i feel a moral obligation to bring this idea to the masses.

How about a vast, like city-sized spaceship that's been on this Star Trek-style mission "to boldly go...and seek out..." for so long (like, however many thousands of years), and is fully automated so that no-one actually needs to do anything to keep the ship running, that the human crew (or rather, the distant descendants of the original crew) have lost all their knowledge and technology and reverted to a primitive culture? Like they just regard the functioning of the spaceship as natural phenomena or acts of god(s)...but they retain vestigial forms of some of their ancient technological know-how, which has degenerated into a cargo-cultish collection of rituals and superstitions? For instance, there's a strong taboo against going near the reactor components because the nuclear radiation has become 'evil spirits' that 'haunt' that part of the ship. Oh, and there are several distinct tribes, formed from the descendants of the different parts of the crew (navigation, maintenance, security, research etc.) and they worship the computer or on-board robots or something. (Edit: bugger, I've basically nicked this from the Cat's background in Red Dwarf, haven't I? Only his ancestors were, well, cats...)

If it's not too corny you could have a 'messiah' who actually starts to figure out what's happened, maybe learns how access some secret files on the central computer that were written in case of such an eventuality. Or there's a civil war because the food supplies start to run out or the water recycler breaks down. Or they encounter some aliens who are impressed by the external sophistication of the ship but puzzled by the primitives they find on board. Or the ship eventually brings them back to earth and everyone is astonished at what's happened to the crew - or maybe earth is totally depopulated by this time? Or people there have degenerated as low, or lower than, the dudes on the ship? I don't think they should be originally from another planet and then find a prehistoric earth and settle it to become *our* ancestors though, A. C. Clarke did that one already in a short story.

Howzat?

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
How about a vast, like city-sized spaceship that's been on this Star Trek-style mission "to boldly go...and seek out..." for so long (like, however many thousands of years), and is fully automated so that no-one actually needs to do anything to keep the ship running, that the human crew (or rather, the distant descendants of the original crew) have lost all their knowledge and technology and reverted to a primitive culture? Like they just regard the functioning of the spaceship as natural phenomena or acts of god(s)...but they retain vestigial forms of some of their ancient technological know-how, which has degenerated into a cargo-cultish collection of rituals and superstitions? For instance, there's a strong taboo against going near the reactor components because the nuclear radiation has become 'evil spirits' that 'haunt' that part of the ship. Oh, and there are several distinct tribes, formed from the descendants of the different parts of the crew (navigation, maintenance, security, research etc.) and they worship the computer or on-board robots or something. (Edit: bugger, I've basically nicked this from the Cat's background in Red Dwarf, haven't I? Only his ancestors were, well, cats...)

If it's not too corny you could have a 'messiah' who actually starts to figure out what's happened, maybe learns how access some secret files on the central computer that were written in case of such an eventuality. Or there's a civil war because the food supplies start to run out or the water recycler breaks down. Or they encounter some aliens who are impressed by the external sophistication of the ship but puzzled by the primitives they find on board. Or the ship eventually brings them back to earth and everyone is astonished at what's happened to the crew - or maybe earth is totally depopulated by this time? Or people there have degenerated as low, or lower than, the dudes on the ship? I don't think they should be originally from another planet and then find a prehistoric earth and settle it to become *our* ancestors though, A. C. Clarke did that one already in a short story.

Howzat?

will there be tity?

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
interesting. i had a more low-tech space-exploration thing in mind----like Flintstones meet the Jetsons. Cavemen build a wooden rocketship----use pteradactyl to fly them into space. Stone space helmets.

Oh shit. This is the Herculoids isn't it?!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There will be a wise-cracking pelican used as an cement mixer called "tity".

Breasts will not exist in the future because babies will be fed astro-snax by robo-mums.

As long as they're SEXY robo-mums, with robo-boobs, I'm cool with that.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
If breasts didn't exist, how would they get people to watch films or buy things?

Best to keep the breasts in I think.

swears

preppy-kei
These space cavemen won't feel the need to watch films or buy things, because they'll be enlightened, chilled out, vegetarian "gatherer-hunters" who are free of our consumerist hang ups.

swears

preppy-kei
Seriously though, the protagonist Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination" is a hairy, grunting savage (not exactly a caveman, though) at the start of the story. He's trapped in an abandoned spaceship at one point, grunting and cursing, it's quite funny. He gets smarter as the book goes on.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
In one of my art history seminars that was very boring we used to pass off a laptop and take turns writing a screenplay that ended up being awesome.

We should probably do a Dissensus screen play. I see some potential there.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
How about a vast, like city-sized spaceship that's been on this Star Trek-style mission "to boldly go...and seek out..." for so long (like, however many thousands of years), and is fully automated so that no-one actually needs to do anything to keep the ship running, that the human crew (or rather, the distant descendants of the original crew) have lost all their knowledge and technology and reverted to a primitive culture? Like they just regard the functioning of the spaceship as natural phenomena or acts of god(s)...but they retain vestigial forms of some of their ancient technological know-how, which has degenerated into a cargo-cultish collection of rituals and superstitions? For instance, there's a strong taboo against going near the reactor components because the nuclear radiation has become 'evil spirits' that 'haunt' that part of the ship. Oh, and there are several distinct tribes, formed from the descendants of the different parts of the crew (navigation, maintenance, security, research etc.) and they worship the computer or on-board robots or something.

this is actually exactly, like to a tee, the plot of the old Sega Genesis game Phantasy Star III. well plus some stuff about heroes fighting a Supreme Evil cause it's an RPG.

perhaps it's a fairly common trope in science fiction. I dunno really.

petergunn

plywood violin
COMIC%20kamandi%201.jpg