red riding films

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I'm in agreement with emerging consensus here: overall it was excellent, very stylish and atmospheric, great acting from all involved, but the main negative point was the way the plot developed. You did get the impression that towards the end it was if they'd realised 'shit, we've used up 3/4s of our time, but wrap everything up pronto' and without wishing to enter into spoiler territory, the ending felt far too neat to be really convincing. But still, enjoyed it a lot and very much looking forward to the next two installments.

crackerjack

I'm in agreement with emerging consensus here: overall it was excellent, very stylish and atmospheric, great acting from all involved, but the main negative point was the way the plot developed. You did get the impression that towards the end it was if they'd realised 'shit, we've used up 3/4s of our time, but wrap everything up pronto' and without wishing to enter into spoiler territory, the ending felt far too neat to be really convincing. But still, enjoyed it a lot and very much looking forward to the next two installments.

Yeah, the idea that here's this corrupt property developer with the police and the press and the council in his pocket, and

SPOILER

oh yeah, he's responsible for all these kiddy murders going back years too, was a biiiiiiiiiiit of a stretch.

hucks

Your Message Here
Exactly, and it made some of the previous hour and three quarters utterly unbelievable, like,

SPOILER

f'rinstance, he was sleeping with one of the dead girls' mums. Really?

don_quixote

Trent End
absolutely gutted about not having a t.v so i can watch this (also the new series of madmen) been working my way through the books after reading about them over on kpunks blog.

I'd have gone to southbank to see them if i'd have known, I sort of dont really like watching stuff like that so spaced out on t.v, would have made more sense to drop it first as a box set, seems how most people watch decent t.v these days.

looks like there making the damb united into a film also.

you not got 4od?

it was great but... ur, was the last bit meant to be the shootings at that pub? if so where was bj? really confused about that.

don_quixote

Trent End
or has dunford become merged with bj as well?

i sense theyre trying to make 'this is the north where we do what we want' into some kind of catchphrase even though it's from 1983.

this all said i have high high hopes from it for the next two.

don_quixote

Trent End
i have really really low expectations for damned united. just because of all the condemnation of the book from the people involved.

don_quixote

Trent End
ALARM BELLS ALARM BELLS

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/mar/07/2

He said the film-makers had taken a conscious decision to lighten the book's tone. "We didn't dwell on his alcoholism or his decline. That wasn't the story we wanted to tell. In quite tough times, we wanted to make a film with an upbeat ending - you come out of the cinema thinking it was an enjoyable experience and that Clough was a good guy."

YOU FUCKING WHAT?!!!

if you take out the alcoholism and decline from the book THERE'S FUCKING NOTHING LEFT???

crackerjack

ALARM BELLS ALARM BELLS

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/mar/07/2

YOU FUCKING WHAT?!!!

if you take out the alcoholism and decline from the book THERE'S FUCKING NOTHING LEFT???

I've just read one very favourable review in Word (not online), but he goes on about the performances (Spall, Sheen, bound to be good) and the how-times-changeness of it all (footballers on £300-a-week!) and none of Clough's inner demons.

Convinced this film won't really be an adaptation at all, except in that it covers the same events - it's gonna be Cloughie:70s Icon. Boooooooo.

It looked stunning and it was good to hear broad Yorkshire accents on telly. Had to turn the sound RIGHT UP though. Adverts made the house shake.

Yeah, I learnt after the first advert break that its easier to turn the sound off during them instead of fiddling with the volume. I really dislike when television voices are inaudible. Seems to me that there are a lot of sound engineers in the business who dont know what the fuck theyre doing. With red riding I ended up turning on subtitles.

Incidentally did anyone watch Moses Jones when it was on a few weeks ago. I've not watched the final episode yet but I was happy with the series. Seems like the kind of thing Dissensus would like, what with the africans in London themes, though I may be wrong here

STN

sou'wester
in the book 1980, why has the Yorkshire Ripper's real name been changed? I thought he was called Peter Sutcliffe, was Peter Williams an alibi that he used or something?

1980 best one thus far. I actually thought 1977 the weakest.

STN

sou'wester
or has dunford become merged with bj as well?

i sense theyre trying to make 'this is the north where we do what we want' into some kind of catchphrase even though it's from 1983.

this all said i have high high hopes from it for the next two.

No, doesn't BJ appear, as a sort of glam-rock type, and Dunford threatens him round the back of the pub? Or maybe the curry house, I can't bloody remember.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
big up everybody on thread!

quite agree re atmosphere, ending, quality performances, etc.

very good point from Matt about Bean's accent, i really enjoyed listening to him. the actor playing the Post boss (sorry, his name escapes me) sort of did OK with his accent, though you could tell he was from the other side of the Pennines perhaps ;) (not read any of the books so don't know if that is even something mentioned, there are only so many well-regarded middle-aged northern English actors available after all..)

Incidentally did anyone watch Moses Jones when it was on a few weeks ago. I've not watched the final episode yet but I was happy with the series. Seems like the kind of thing Dissensus would like, what with the africans in London themes, though I may be wrong here

saw some of it, and what i saw i really enjoyed, pretty damn atmospheric show, saw a bit with a main character caught up in handing out a bat-enhanced beat down of two guys on the street, that was pretty 'whoa'.
(only reason i haven't caught up is i am a thick Luddite re watching over on the web etc.)

really liked seeing Matt Smith who i first dug in Party Animals (i would recommend the final two repeated episodes next Tuesday for British viewers on BBC4, but fear my crush on Shelley Conn might be blinding critical faculties), and Eamonn Walker is a legend.

moses-jones_1251395c.jpg

crackerjack

Yeah, I saw the whole thing. Like a lot of thrillers, it got steadily less interesting as the demands of the plot overtook the set-up, but it's worth sticking with

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
really liked seeing Matt Smith who i first dug in Party Animals (i would recommend the final two repeated episodes next Tuesday for British viewers on BBC4, but fear my crush on Shelley Conn might be blinding critical faculties)

Hahaha I've been watching it for precisely the same reason. It's a bit of a rubbish program though, like an unholy mix of This Life and an incredibly rubbish episode of The Thick of It.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The part where he's waiting in the car for the woman to come home - she looks out the window - he walks right in...made no sense to me.

By TV drama standards it was good...but that isn't saying much. At times, style prevailed over clarity.