red riding films

don_quixote

Trent End
for some reason they're not doing 1977, but i haven't figured out why. it's the jack whitehead one isn't it? i imagine whitehead is almost cut out of it all together then??

STN

sou'wester
Yes, it's the Whitehead Frazer one, which I'm halfway through now. 1980 deals with the Yorkshire Ripper too, doesn't it? So maybe they're absorbing aspects of 1977 into 1980 for the TV version.

viktorvaughn

Saw these at the bfi. 77 and 80 are good, 83 less so - they are made by three different directors.

They didn't do 77 due to insufficient money. Whitehead is still in 74 .

hucks

Your Message Here
So i thought this was pretty good, but not quite the revelation I had been led to expect by mates who'd seen it. The first hour was great , tight and tense, but the last half hour just span out of control.

Still good, tho, on balance and that

don_quixote

Trent End
not watched it yet because i don't have a telly, downloading it now... but your description of the plot does sound like that of the book

ether

absolutely gutted about not having a t.v so i can watch this (also the new series of madmen) been working my way through the books after reading about them over on kpunks blog.

I'd have gone to southbank to see them if i'd have known, I sort of dont really like watching stuff like that so spaced out on t.v, would have made more sense to drop it first as a box set, seems how most people watch decent t.v these days.

looks like there making the damb united into a film also.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Enjoyable, but not great. First two thirds attempted to capture the disorientating, claustrophobic nature of the book, but in doing so stripped out loads of sub-plots, meaning that Eddie became a traditional crime maverick central character and the randomness of the violence which pervades Peace's book is missing.

The ending (last 1/2 hour) was shit, some little bits stolen from 1977, otherwise predictable 'driving into the lights'? ffs.

It looked stunning and it was good to hear broad Yorkshire accents on telly. Had to turn the sound RIGHT UP though. Adverts made the house shake.

I'm looking forward to the next 2, particularly as I haven't read the last one yet, so won't be influenced by the book.

hucks

Your Message Here
I haven't read the books, but I now understand that Sean Bean's charcter is an amalgamation of two different characters in the book. Which is why the TV ending made no sense at all.

jenks

thread death
It looked stunning and it was good to hear broad Yorkshire accents on telly. Had to turn the sound RIGHT UP though. Adverts made the house shake.

Thank God, it wasn't just me - I wondered if my hearing was shot - I had to really strain at times.

Pretty much in concurrence with the view that the final section was the weakest.

Still, though, looking forward to the other two - in comparision with most TV drama it was in a different league for huge chunks of time. Some of those great character actors turning top performances - even Sean Bean managed to convey a degree of menace I wouldn't have expected

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Still, though, looking forward to the other two - in comparision with most TV drama it was in a different league for huge chunks of time. Some of those great character actors turning top performances - even Sean Bean managed to convey a degree of menace I wouldn't have expected

Definately. Made particularly stark if you compare it to Whitechapel, which my better half watched. That was truly shit.

All the technical aspects were wicked. I loved that Bean put on a super strong accent- fairly tricky to catch everything he said

An aside: I work near where this series is set and was talking to a colleague about it and the Ripper- he highlighted that sense of fear and dread; and that while being different, Yorkshire is exactly the same.

Overall a big thumbs up