Acid Westerns

nochexxx

harco pronting
Well that's certainly the obvious interpretation but part of what I love about the film is the way that you really can't say anything with any certainty. Almost everything is up for grabs.
Another thing, I love the way that the scenes in the desert convey this feeling of their having been travelling for ages despite the fact that the film is relatively short and these scenes are only a small part of it.

yep your quite right.

i'm totally tripping here but i'd love it if one of the big three (herzog, lynch, jodorowsky) continued from the shooting's narrative and made a film from the perspective of gashade's brother or the little alien. :cool:

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm slightly vexed that this thread is more popular than my all-encomposing Eurocult thread. I don' think we can be friends now, Rich. I'm keeping your DVDs. Ha!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I'm slightly vexed that this thread is more popular than my all-encomposing Eurocult thread. I don' think we can be friends now, Rich. I'm keeping your DVDs. Ha!"
So... I open the art and literature section and I'm pleased to see that Craner has contributed to the acid western thread, I head there looking forward to some of his skewed and penetrating critique but when I actually open it all that I get is insults. What a shame.

craner

Beast of Burden
Oooh, I didn't mean it Rich! The only reason you haven't got your dvds is because I'm usually too lazy and depressed and hungover to get to the post office. I wish I did have some good recommendations for this thread. On another topic Santa Sangre is a great acid giallo (it's the kind of film Argento would've made post-Phenomenon, was he as good as people claim). But I suppose most gialli are "acid" to a large extent. Hmm...

"Skewed and penetrating." I like that. I shall put it on my CV.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Craner's been jukebox bombing Sparks all night in a Lambeth pub, i imagine the only thing he'll be critiquing at the moment is a kebab.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Oooh, I didn't mean it Rich! The only reason you haven't got your dvds is because I'm usually too lazy and depressed and hungover to get to the post office. I wish I did have some good recommendations for this thread. On another topic Santa Sangre is a great acid giallo (it's the kind of film Argento would've made post-Phenomenon, was he as good as people claim). But I suppose most gialli are "acid" to a large extent. Hmm..."
No worries on the dvds, I don't really need them back right now.
Sante Sangre - the Jodorowsky thing with the arms? Would you call that a giallo? Quite an interesting film I think but not as good as his other ones.

I watched another Hellman film yesterday called Backdoor To Hell but it wasn't really that good. I mean, it was a perfectly adequate war film but didn't really have many of the touches that distinguish his work; if The Shooting and Two Lane Blacktop are the, ahem, full Monte and Cockfighter is just below this was clearly a low fat Hellmans.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Deadlock

118279819657848100.jpg

I watched (most of) this yesterday. No real plot as such and what there is doesn't make any sense but it's still very cool. Apparently it was shot in Israel and it certainly doesn't look anything like the wild west - more like a quarry or something - but it's all the better for being so grimey. Everyone looks good, the soundtrack works even better than I would have expected and it's nicely weird. I might try and watch it more sober tonight and try and describe it with a little more eloquence and detail.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I forgot to mention the giant wanking statue/advert on the roof of the bar.
It's an odd film, it feels as though they are the only people in the world, stuck in some bizarre and dirty no-man's land which is separated from the world as we know it - all that's there are several deserted buildings and one truck.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
there is this doc i watched last night called... something... about spaghetti westerns; it explored how the genre mutated, though it did not mention ACID, per se, though i think it did touch on a few films that fit this thread. django kills! (though i haven't seen it) seems to hit all the right notes. i made a list but i don't have it on me.

ha not a very substantive post i know!