Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tim Westwood

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama
    You seem to have skewed the entireity of my post.

Your options if you do not like someone who is a huge success are to sit down and criticise them all you want without it ever making a blind bit of difference, or to promote something which you personally feel is better.

If enough people agree with you then eventually that which you deem to be inferior to your personal favourite will be superceded with that which you champion.

Music is an Art and a Business. You can be successful in either and/or both. They are not mutually exclusive.
    wow, you sound kinda corporate.

but point taken. theres no one else who can compete with westwood though really, not on that level. i used to rate 279 on choice, but hes boring now, and plays nothing thats really exciting. so yeah, westwood probably does do the job overall, the best. 1xtra has some good hip hop shows between them, but it doesnt have the exposure as its only digital.

The only avenue if you want to listen to good new UK music from a variety of genres would probably be one of Ras Kwame's shows

Semtex plays much the same as the big corporate US hip hop stations with some grime interspersed and I'm not very familiar with Excalibah.

Xcalibah represents the more underground style (mixed in with the odd big name) - UK and US... mixture of experimental stuff and bread and butter boom bap tracks.

heartless mix it up a fair bit

aren't Roll Deep are due on Westwood this friday? lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown
    aren't Roll Deep are due on Westwood this friday? lol...
    yep, that should be brilliant.

mind, i wish R1 would halve his explosion quota

No way man, the explosions are mint. Ain't listened for a while, but does he say "baby boy" all the time still? I'm LURRIN' dat...

fairly unrelated(ish): he used to cane that "Left Right Left" tune by Drama. anyone remember that? heavy Dirty South soldier shit. ace.

Grooverider is getting more Westwood by the day. it's pure pantomime. brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by bo!ne
    However, in the job I do at the moment, involved with running the Love Music Hate Racism campaign (www.lmhr.org.uk) I've seen a different side to him too.
    Hi Lee. Top post. Deffo another side I didn't know about.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

hi paul. also - when we met him about doing something for LMHR we gave him a few options (easy ones like Uni gigs in london etc included) and he was very keen to go up to Burnley.

still aint a big fan of his show tho

Tim Westwood on his life in hip-hop: 'Thereís no alter ego, no Clark Kent to the Superman'

Once a glass collector at a London nightclub, the DJ became rapís most famous UK cheerleader. As he approaches 60, he talks about his childhood struggle with dyslexia, surviving being shot, and the catering requirements of Biggie Smalls

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-biggie-smalls

The GOAT. I wish we had Westwood instead of Flex growing up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

I'm going to be ugly and unnuanced here but since most of the RINSE employees have left this board a long time ago anyway and won't cry...

So like, 4-5 years ago when Rinse hadn't yet gone legit and they were still in that in between phase, they had that hack DJ Alexander Nut doing his thing. I don't know, clearly the world needed the poor man's Benji B to help keep that one two hour shift running and its not like people flirting with post-Flying Lotus or Madlib/Dilla music wasn't occurring at other points on Rinse so why not get a guy who has that as a specialty. Except he kept talking about how he used to listen to Flex live-mixes to learn how to DJ for years... Flex is a notoriously BAD DJ, live or otherwise. I love him as a totem of NYC but in the regard to his actual technique or whatever, he's incredibly amateurish at his job. Westwood is MILES beyond him at mixing. And its not like there's an argument to be made that "Oh Westwood might be more proficient but does he have the feel/soul..." Westwood is fine, Funk Flex just fucking sucks. So the fact that there was a guy who said I learned to DJ from studying a notoriously inept DJ do his job badly is funny to me.

But we all know why Westwood comes off as a clown to people and some of that's valid and some of it is 'the lady doth protest' or w/e.

Coincidentally I discovered this blog today (no doubt familiar to some of you) which is an absolute goldmine for old Westwood shows (and various radio shows from the 90s/early 00s) http://djstepone.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Just wish I had kept my own casettes of Radio 1 rap shows from 1997/8. The NORE, Pun, DMX, Cameron, Canibus, No Limit and Eminem era.