Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

for the record i thought V for Vendetta was a *great* adaptation. i thought the scope of the story was just (perhaps barely) small enough for 2 hours. and although the film felt cramped with no breathing space, and with a lot of omissions of great scenes and details, it made no major compromises (even with unnecessary fight scene and ending being possibly problematic), and as good as was probably possible in all respects. (and this coming from someone who read the original books roughly 200 times between age 14 and 17)

but i fear the worst with watchmen.

the intricate plots within plots within plots like those russian dolls
    the complex interlocking systems of visual puns and symbolism
    the moral ambiguity, existential quagmire, and pervasive Orwellian dystopian dread
    the dimensionality and depth of each of the numerous archetypal characters and their transformations taking place in the duration of many decades...

only format that might have done any kind of justice would be a HBO or BBC 5 season series.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    for the record i thought V for Vendetta was a *great* adaptation.
    nah. I mean your reaction is just as valid is mine, but for me, no. tho I will admit that aesthetically it was pretty good - I thought they nailed the look/feel of it pretty well. what sunk it for me was how much they toned down all the anti-authoritarian elements - in other words how they made the individual villains the problem rather than the system itself. which one may or may not agree with but certainly the original books were much more radical in tone.

not that it was particularly suprising. frankly I was amazed it got made at all in a post-9/11 world - a film about a "terrorist" who topples the govt.

I thought V for Vendetta was the most cornball film I'd ever seen. Watchmen is ten times better. Still a bit corny, tho...

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    nah. I mean your reaction is just as valid is mine, but for me, no. tho I will admit that aesthetically it was pretty good - I thought they nailed the look/feel of it pretty well. what sunk it for me was how much they toned down all the anti-authoritarian elements - in other words how they made the individual villains the problem rather than the system itself. which one may or may not agree with but certainly the original books were much more radical in tone.

not that it was particularly suprising. frankly I was amazed it got made at all in a post-9/11 world - a film about a "terrorist" who topples the govt.
    Yeah. Having read the comics again recently, I was also struck how 'glossy' the film looked in comparison. It lost the 1984 style British grimness in translation.

Thats also my fear about Watchmen. im not expecting much, but it just looks wrong to me. IMO a proper visual analog to Gibbons' art would be something more along the lines of the look of the French Connection rather than the Matrix...

Also 'From Hell' - worst Moore adaption? Not because it was worse than the league of extraordinary gentelmen, but because the book was just so good. Probably the best things Moores' ever done.

Would love to see a good Marvelman adaptation.

I just like the fact that at Surrey Quays Odeo about half the audience walked out, presumably cos they were expecting a comic adaptation like Iron man or something, whereas they've made a pretty faithful, long, dogged adaptation of the Watchmen. It's not bad, it just highlights how definitive the book was really.

Echo swears on Dr Manhattan being good, the Mars scenes are 70s fab.

I can understand Moore wanting nothing to do with Hollywood but why give the go ahead for adaptations. I'm assuming he must do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I can understand Moore wanting nothing to do with Hollywood but why give the go ahead for adaptations. I'm assuming he must do.
    I'm not certain but the impression I get is that he actually doesn't have control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I'm not certain but the impression I get is that he actually doesn't have control over it.
    Right. Well the release of the film has piqued my interest in the man and I'll be ordering my first graphic novel in Watchmen.

From what I've read on Wikipedia he sounds like a decent bloke. He apparently stopped a strip for a local newspaper early in his career after a homphobic editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Creator ownership is a relatively new thing in comics, at least for the major american publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Yeah. Having read the comics again recently, I was also struck how 'glossy' the film looked in comparison. It lost the 1984 style British grimness in translation.
    Exactly right. There's a bit at the beginning where Evey nips out for a cappuncio.

WRONG

I thought V for Vendetta was absolutely appalling. The ending was the worst kind of "we, the people" cheesefest imaginable.

Saw Watchmen yesterday - it's about a million times better, but it'd be hard not to be. Aesthetically it's pretty great, the opening credits are killer. However, it's a very literal adaption... and what works on the page doesn't work on the big screen. I found Dr Manhattan's epihany cornball and hoky watching it, while I didn't at all when reading. It's okay but that's about it.. (and my intention is to damn with faint praise).

I rather enjoyed V for Vendetta, but then I'm not a comic book nerd, and haven't read the original. or Watchmen for that matter.

Watchmen sounds interesting for its flaws. I suspect it may be too close to the original to be a good film... vaguely interested in reading the comic though. Apparently they've printed a vast amount of new copies.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

droid Guest

Read them both you goon.

I have just this second ordered Watchmen.

I hope it's better than the Invisibles, that really didn't live up to the billing.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

droid Guest

Its on a completely different level.

Cant recommend V enough either. Probably the most articulate and poetic political comic ever written.

yes from hell is pretty amazing. def the best thing he's done.
    the film was a joke though.