Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mythical creatures bestiary

Default Giants

Cool links! The Ceiling Cat made me laugh and the Mongolian Death Worm is definitely one for future boredom killing "research".

I have just been doing some of the latter and stumbled on this guy's nutty but fascinating site promoting his book about Giants

Unfortunately the first chapter provided doesn't say much about his thesis (I skimmed it) but he does include samples of quotes that he seems to have used and a page of sample illustrations he's used such as his own rendering of a Special Forces soldier's encounter with a troll.

There must be a story behind that last picture because the blog post that put me on this guy included this picture which has to be related:

If anyone else knows or can find anything about this story please let me know because my brain is about to explode...

There's also a page of articles including one by a Boyd Rice which gives a list of all the mythical giants and their stories noting their similarities as well as a list of archaelogical evidence of giants taken from this book..

ah on my coffee table there is Albertus Seba's The Cabinet of Natural Curiosities----ostensibly a science book undertaking the taxonomy of earth's fauna but somehow most of the animals are strangely anthropomorphized, as if drawn from memory or based on verbal description only. and yeah, some creatures of lore managed to scuttle their way into the pages, such as the hydra:

"The hydra is of a bay colour, which seems to have an ash-grey shading. The back is uneven and bumpy, and one can see on each side six thick welts, oblong and hard as horn, under which are set seven other tubercules of the same nature but round… There is not a single scale on the skin of the main trunk, nor on the seven heads, but it has a marbled colour approaching chestnut. The seven heads are banded in the front section, like transverse rings. All the seven mouths are open equally wide and lined with lion’s teeth. The long tail is completely covered in rhomboid scales. Each foot terminates in toes that are armed with long, sharp claws."

whatever made that bloop sound needs to just swallow up the CCP in one go and we'll be like "well thats that."

Haha, videos of guys walking taken from above with really old shitty cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by nomadthethird View Post
    Haha, videos of guys walking taken from above with really old shitty cameras...
    Videos of guy walking taken from above by flying humanoids, you mean

shitty cameras seem to be better suited for documenting otherworldly phenomena

see:
    loch ness
    sasquatch
    ufo

I was talking to an Aussie once who told me they love to frighten the Euro visitors heading for the Bush by talking about the 'hoop snake' - which inserts its tail into its mouth and speed-wheels across the ground towards its prey at 45mph.

Default ouroboro

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I was talking to an Aussie once who told me they love to frighten the Euro visitors heading for the Bush by talking about the 'hoop snake' - which inserts its tail into its mouth and speed-wheels across the ground towards its prey at 45mph.
    As if they don't have enough weird animals they have to go and make a load more up.

Like the notorious Drop Bear.

The Kraken will fuck your shit up hard.