London pubs

luka

strictly speaking i didnt get chucked out although i was covered in paint. billy got kicked out for falling asleep. then he fell in the duck pond.

luka

thank you you. you can buy me one in july when i come to stratford to see the olymipic fascist project.

viktorvaughn

Been going to Old Fountain as after-work local - just off City Rd. It's had a refit inside ad looks a bit boring but wicked beer selection and they have salt beef sarnies that look absolutely massive...not had one yet but proper huge, with mustard and gherkin on soft white bread for 4 quid or so.

http://www.oldfountain.co.uk/

viktorvaughn

Found a good place on Hoxton that i'd cycle passed many a time but not realised was pretty great inside - Howl at the Moon.

A bit of a hidden gem I reckon. We easily got seating at 9 on A Saturday night, it’s not too busy. Awesome choice: 3 kernels, Gueuze and lots of other stuff in the fridge, 3 or 4 ales, 3 real ciders, and another 3 or 4 options covering interesting things like Black IPA and a Thornbridge beer.

Standard prices, nice chap behind the bar, music not too loud, all good. Chilled atmosphere that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's a few pubs behind Kingsland Road in that direction that are quite good, not very 'Hoxtony' - will give that one a go if it stocks gueuze, thanks

http://www.improvathon.co.uk/ (on the same street) - once went to this on a date, was very good in fact, genuinely funny. Went better than the date itself, sadly...

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

There's a few pubs behind Kingsland Road in that direction that are quite good, not very 'Hoxtony' - will give that one a go if it stocks gueuze, thanks

http://www.improvathon.co.uk/ (on the same street) - once went to this on a date, was very good in fact, genuinely funny. Went better than the date itself, sadly...

Yeah it wasn't very trendy hoxton at all (it was mainly young-medium age people but very chilled and not show-offy).

The Improv things sounds pretty fun (and epic).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sounds great - anywhere reliably good to go around there is worth knowing about.

We went along for an hour or two, on the first or second day - my date knew some of the people taking part, seemed to be an exclusively actor-y kind of thing, not well publicised. By the Sunday I think it would be getting quite surreal. Good thing to know about for cold days in January, anyways

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Had a nice pint with Edmund on Saturday in the big 'Spoons in Stoke Newington. There was this little girl of about four who kept trying to play Edmund's keyboard while her dad chatted to us. I counted at least four games of chess going on around us. Cheap tasty beer.

But I'm not resident in London these days so I can't offer much beyond that. The Ivy House round Brockley/Nunhead way is excellent.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I drink in that spoons sometimes. Its not bad is it

I like it. There's always at least one fairly soused old West Indian guy in a smart suit, or at least that's how it is in my head. Old London Irish guys, too. Families with small kids. It's kind of how I imagine pubs used to be generations ago - the mix of ages, all human life and all that.

luka

The Bree Louise - very nice beer (a lot of it on gravity) camra and student discounts, and handy for Euston. Food looked alright, too.

Smells of piss a bit where we were sitting, though - making it a kind of Wenlock Arms for the north west of the centre.

always stinks of piss fucking gross. euston tap stinks of piss too. euston stinks of piss. never drink in euston.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
are pubs in england for posh people? i just saw a video on youtube that suggested something like that. i always thought pubs would be working class kinda things?

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Had a nice pint with Edmund on Saturday in the big 'Spoons in Stoke Newington. There was this little girl of about four who kept trying to play Edmund's keyboard while her dad chatted to us. I counted at least four games of chess going on around us. Cheap tasty beer.

But I'm not resident in London these days so I can't offer much beyond that. The Ivy House round Brockley/Nunhead way is excellent.
well. does sound a bit posh.