Midi controllers

seeing that it doesn't have the keys...

so, i want a midi controller for my comp that has:

a)piano keyboard
b) mpc style drum pads
c) X/Y pad (a la Chaos Pad)

is there in fact one thing that has all three?

i haven't found one, and am thus leaning towards this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPADKONTROL

you may have to skip it

you could for almost the same amount of money get the NanoKontrol's from Korg. one of them has the keyboard and the other has the X-Y pad and the drum pads. plus they're both tiny...apparently

hint

party record with a siren
It's unlikely that you'll find one thing that will cover all the bases well.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head with pads and an XY is the Novation Remote 25SL, but the pads aren't really MPC-like.
http://www.dv247.com/invt/30943/

Confusingly though, they have another model, also called the Remote 25SL, which has a different pad layout and no XY controller and is about £80 cheaper.

The M-Audio Axioms are nice keyboards, with decent pads. No XY controller though.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
been looking at the Nano's...

may get the Padkontrol and the Nano keyboard,.... two things, best of all worlds (hopefully)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
from my own investigations into this, i think it's cheaper and more versatile to get two different things, as you say. MPDs are meant to be pretty good for a fraction of the price of an MPC - my ex-flatmate traded in his MPC for one (and a lot of left-over cash), and said there was no real difference other than cultural cachet.

hint

been looking at the Nano's...

may get the Padkontrol and the Nano keyboard,.... two things, best of all worlds (hopefully)

Be aware that the nano keyboard is closer to a laptop keyboard than a piano keyboard. Not sure how much "playing" you're planning to do.

hint

from my own investigations into this, i think it's cheaper and more versatile to get two different things, as you say. MPDs are meant to be pretty good for a fraction of the price of an MPC - my ex-flatmate traded in his MPC for one (and a lot of left-over cash), and said there was no real difference other than cultural cachet.

Come on now... there's more to an MPC than just pads for controlling software!

gyto

nice m-audio

MM-AXIOM25.jpg

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~M-Audio---Axiom-25~ID~4871.asp

this is surprisingly nice for the price, keys feel not too bad comparatively:slanted:

petergunn

plywood violin
so i bought the Padkontrol, got a really good deal on one w/ the software as well...

so, X/Y and pads, no keyboard...

connect_icut

I'm in the market for a new MIDI controller. Basically, I don't want to lug my big, flimsy Behringer BCR2000 over to the UK for two gigs. So, I need as many knobs and buttons as possible in a small footprint. I don't need pads or a keyboard.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

connect_icut

Just found out that Littlebits is adding new modules to its Synth Kit that will make it simple to build your own MIDI controller. Kind of a dream come true for me but apparently it won't be available until around Christmas.

connect_icut

For what it's worth, I ended up buying a used Livid Code on eBay. The Code is exactly what I'm looking for but it's pricey. In the long term, I might actually invest in one of Livid's massive modular MIDI customizations - that shit is a dream come true for me but, again, pricey.