90s - the decade of MUSIC DELUSION

Buick6

too punk to drunk
..was just watching some clips from the 90s, notably the TEENAGE FANCLUB..now don't get me wrong, I think their first album was probably one of the best of the 90s, but this video just shows how AMERICAN English bands were trying to be back then.

The whole long hair, shaggy jeans and windcheater shtick, just looks so fucken forced, the irony is that it looks so 'un natural' like a strange inversion of glam...

I mean they were perfectly fine as a pack of Scottish nerds, but in retrospect the whole stance of 'grunge' looks so forced and phony, which is bitterly ironic since, 'grunge' prided itself on this sort of working-class-lumberjack type 'authenticity' - these days all these bloke think they are in 'the band' or something...grunge/indie fashion is a fucked-up animal at the best/worst of times!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still the FANCLUB were way more influential than most, I mean the whole live 'ROCK' shtick and crowd pogo reaction would be ably synthesized and BRITISH-ised back into Oasis...If anything the Fanclub still has a better RHYTHM SECTION.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I reckon most people here weren't listening to Teenage Fanclub, so the 90s were probably ok for them.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
TF did one great song about Kylie having a crush them, perhaps it was in a John Peel session.

Surely the 90s delusion is the formation of the mainstream story of grunge vs britpop, like nothing else interesting happened :slanted:

swears

preppy-kei
I think of decades like

70s - warmth

80s - cold

90s - warmth revivalism

00s - cold revivalism

I know, it barely makes sense to me.

muser

I think of decades like

70s - warmth

80s - cold

90s - warmth revivalism

00s - cold revivalism

I know, it barely makes sense to me.

Interesting but I guess I shouldnt ask :confused: :rolleyes: Always have been interested if anyones ever managed to come up with a feasable circular framework for the progression of music/music fashions though.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
TF did one great song about Kylie having a crush them, perhaps it was in a John Peel session.

Surely the 90s delusion is the formation of the mainstream story of grunge vs britpop, like nothing else interesting happened :slanted:

What You Do To Me is a good song, or songette.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Oi vei, the warthm/coldness distinction in music has to be right up there in my binary opposition hit-list. Wish I could explain this better.
TF were crap anyway.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite

Obviously noone around here would make a similar error regarding a certain model of UK dance music...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Really expect for only drum n bass and derivatives, all Engerlisch dance music was shit,
someone should write up an article about how dreadfully shithouse English dance music is/was..

swears

preppy-kei
actually it makes sense...

I think it's something to do with the early digital equipment (mixing desks, effects like reverb) even 80s guitar bands like The Smiths sound sort of thin, cold and tinny sometimes. By the 90s, people had figured how to get a warmer sound out of the gear, and that having really loud gated snares on everything didn't sound so good.

Maybe "bright" or "sharp" is a better word than "cold".

muser

decades are irrelevant and unhelpful, you all need to start thinking in eras, I imagine you'd get more headway. That analogy has got a nice feel to it though

blissblogger

that warm / cold, warm revival, cold revival is genius

but what are the Sixties? where are they on the temperature scale? and in the Eighties, yes you got 'cold' (synthpop, electro, Eurythmics, industrial, Goth, acid house etc) but you also got Sixties-revivalism big time (whatever temperature that is)

yeah in the Nineties everyone wanted Seventies-style 'warm' valve sounds...