Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90s - the decade of MUSIC DELUSION

Melbourne, Orstraylya, I love Orstraylyia, it's mai favourite place in the world besides California!

Default 90s - the decade of MUSIC DELUSION

..was just watching some clips from the 90s, notably the TEENAGE FANCLUB..now don't get me wrong, I think their first album was probably one of the best of the 90s, but this video just shows how AMERICAN English bands were trying to be back then.

The whole long hair, shaggy jeans and windcheater shtick, just looks so fucken forced, the irony is that it looks so 'un natural' like a strange inversion of glam...

I mean they were perfectly fine as a pack of Scottish nerds, but in retrospect the whole stance of 'grunge' looks so forced and phony, which is bitterly ironic since, 'grunge' prided itself on this sort of working-class-lumberjack type 'authenticity' - these days all these bloke think they are in 'the band' or something...grunge/indie fashion is a fucked-up animal at the best/worst of times!

Still the FANCLUB were way more influential than most, I mean the whole live 'ROCK' shtick and crowd pogo reaction would be ably synthesized and BRITISH-ised back into Oasis...If anything the Fanclub still has a better RHYTHM SECTION.
    Last edited by Buick6; 18-03-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    All I do now is dick around Sparks, 2006

Stuff to read on the toilet :linky

I reckon most people here weren't listening to Teenage Fanclub, so the 90s were probably ok for them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

TF did one great song about Kylie having a crush them, perhaps it was in a John Peel session.

Surely the 90s delusion is the formation of the mainstream story of grunge vs britpop, like nothing else interesting happened

I think of decades like

70s - warmth

80s - cold

90s - warmth revivalism

00s - cold revivalism

I know, it barely makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    I think of decades like

70s - warmth

80s - cold

90s - warmth revivalism

00s - cold revivalism

Interesting but I guess I shouldnt ask Always have been interested if anyones ever managed to come up with a feasable circular framework for the progression of music/music fashions though.

Quote Originally Posted by wonk_vitesse View Post
    TF did one great song about Kylie having a crush them, perhaps it was in a John Peel session.

Surely the 90s delusion is the formation of the mainstream story of grunge vs britpop, like nothing else interesting happened
    What You Do To Me is a good song, or songette.

Oi vei, the warthm/coldness distinction in music has to be right up there in my binary opposition hit-list. Wish I could explain this better.
    TF were crap anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wonk_vitesse View Post

Obviously noone around here would make a similar error regarding a certain model of UK dance music...

Melbourne, Orstraylya, I love Orstraylyia, it's mai favourite place in the world besides California!

Really expect for only drum n bass and derivatives, all Engerlisch dance music was shit,
    someone should write up an article about how dreadfully shithouse English dance music is/was..
    All I do now is dick around Sparks, 2006

Stuff to read on the toilet :linky

don't feed the troll people.

Quote Originally Posted by woops View Post
    don't feed the troll people.
    lol

I think of decades like

70s - warmth

80s - cold

90s - warmth revivalism

00s - cold revivalism

actually it makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
    actually it makes sense...
    I think it's something to do with the early digital equipment (mixing desks, effects like reverb) even 80s guitar bands like The Smiths sound sort of thin, cold and tinny sometimes. By the 90s, people had figured how to get a warmer sound out of the gear, and that having really loud gated snares on everything didn't sound so good.

Maybe "bright" or "sharp" is a better word than "cold".

I think of decades like

70s - warmth

80s - cold

90s - warmth revivalism

00s - cold revivalism

this is correct.

decades are irrelevant and unhelpful, you all need to start thinking in eras, I imagine you'd get more headway. That analogy has got a nice feel to it though