UK Urban Exploration Forums

Karl Kraft

Thanks, am sorry to hear the guy died.
what Im really hoping will turn up is something like this for Hong Kong. Found up a few bits n bobs on the (now tragicly demolished) Walled City on Youtube:

hucks

Your Message Here
Did anyone see Requiem for Detroit last night on BBC 2? On iplayer here, for the licence payers ONLY, OK?

Anyhow, it was a pretty amazing doc, the first part in particular, talking about the "economic Katrina" that has hit Detroit in the last three decades or so. One of the main interviewees was an urban explorer, going into the old factories and what have you.

The largest abandoned building in the world is in Detroit. The original Ford factory, the first ever assembly line, is now just overgrown with weeds. This is pretty amazing stuff. The stereotype of Americans cf Europeans regarding history is that Americans are really protective of stuff that has even a little bit of history attached to it, whereas in Europe we don't care (cos we've got so much of it, goes the argument). This didn't seem to be true at all.

Anyway, it was stunning stuff. Detroit lost 60% of its population since the 60s, from 2m down to 800k. Buildings have just collapsed there, others are still standing, like this hotel where Black entertainers used to stay when they were in town. It's now totally gutted, but still has a piano.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Sounds ace hucks. I'm geographically disabled vis the iplayer but if anyone comes across alternate sources I'd be interested ;) My cousin was doing some film work down there recently. Came back with some amazing footage.

grizzleb

Yeah just watched this. Excellent video, many interesting people. Detroit looks like an amazing place.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That looks fascinating....

There was a thread up here, I think, a while back, where an American Dissensian was talking about his memories of UR (?) parties in dilapidated Detroit warehouses in the 90s....not sure where it is though now.

Anyone interested in Detroit shuld also check out that great Stooges/MC5 documentary that was on BBC4, with amazing quotes from John Sinclair ("we all genuinely thought that we were involved in a revolution. We were taking a lot of acid.")

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

Did anyone see Requiem for Detroit last night on BBC 2? On iplayer here, for the licence payers ONLY, OK?

Anyhow, it was a pretty amazing doc, the first part in particular, talking about the "economic Katrina" that has hit Detroit in the last three decades or so. One of the main interviewees was an urban explorer, going into the old factories and what have you.

The largest abandoned building in the world is in Detroit. The original Ford factory, the first ever assembly line, is now just overgrown with weeds. This is pretty amazing stuff. The stereotype of Americans cf Europeans regarding history is that Americans are really protective of stuff that has even a little bit of history attached to it, whereas in Europe we don't care (cos we've got so much of it, goes the argument). This didn't seem to be true at all.

Anyway, it was stunning stuff. Detroit lost 60% of its population since the 60s, from 2m down to 800k. Buildings have just collapsed there, others are still standing, like this hotel where Black entertainers used to stay when they were in town. It's now totally gutted, but still has a piano.

Im still playing catchup with loads of stuff. This included, might be worth a read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/mar/10/detroit-motor-city-urban-decline

matt b

Indexing all opinion
yeah wicked site, had a good thread on a place near us a while back (an ex asylum, now upmarket housing).

here's the mortuary:

DSC_5984.jpg

grizzleb

After watching this last night I watched the Moodymann RBMA interview thing, which was enough to end up giving me a night of intense detroit-fllavoured dreams when I went to bed. Sweet.

sufi

lala
http://triggur.org/silo/

the original - the 90's web design does not detract from the genuinely atmospheric trip ... or that's how i remember it anyway - somehow interwebbery & urban exploration work together really well

nomos

Administrator
^^ I've been looking for this! It was one of my favourite internet home pages circa 1996 :cool:

Iirc, the term "hacking" actually came from MIT tunnel explorers.

Last edited: