Moving to Berlin

4linehaiku

Repetitive
There's a few threads knocking around about Berlin, this http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=2130 leaps to mind for example, but they mainly deal with clubs, going out for a weekend etc. I know a few people have made a move over there though, so I'm hoping to tap your knowledge.
I've got an internship there this summer, going to be over for June, July and August. Working at Auguststraße 5a, 10117 in Berlin, Germany so I'm hoping to live in Friedrichshain, as it's apparently pretty good + close to office, Berghain, Hardwax, etc.
I'm told http://www.wg-gesucht.de/ is the place to find a flat, though my lack of German is complicating matters.
Don't speak any German, I know this is a typical bullshit British stunt to pull, but I simply haven't had time to learn any. Hopefully will pick it up as I go along.

For anyone who moved there from another country sans German speaking ability, how did you sort out a flat, how tricky was it, etc?
I hear rent is 'cheap'. How cheap is cheap?
Basically any tips / advice / dos and don'ts at all I guess.

Thanks!

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
You can get a whole flat in some parts of Neukoelln for 200 Euros a month, or even less... Large rooms in F-Hain, P-Berg, and K-Berg go for similar prices, though the market is variable.

Craigslist advertises rooms, though they are often marked-up from the WG gesucht prices. But there are some deals to be found there. But you have to move fast.

German is hard to pick-up as you go along, as everyone speaks English. I recommend a course at the Volkshochschule, the Prenzlauerberg branch, which resembles the hotel from the Shining, being the nicest architecturally. But then, they are closed for some part of the summer.

If you want more precise advice, PM-me.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It seems like everyone I know is moving to Berlin now. Germany has never really held much interest for me. I think it might be words like Volkschochschule.

Kate Mossad

I lived there for about two years in 2006 and has a great time all in all. To make the best of it you will need a least some German. Although most people you'll meet socially will speak some English a lot of the people you'll deal with day to day like shop assistants, cab drivers etc. will speak little or no English. The fact you've made an effort to learn some of the language will actually get you some respect, good manners go a long way. Reasnoble rents are not too hard to find but accomodation is not as cheap as it was due to the fall in the value of Sterling against the Euro, try Craigslist or Gumtree. Be prepared for stifling levels of beauraucracy and the fact that the majority of flats come unfurnished. You may need to open a German bank account which is a nightmare.

Oh yeah and be prepared for the winter, it's a bastard.

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Ok cheers for the replies.
I'll look into Neukolln, it definately sounds good.
Luckily I avoid the winter this time, but if it goes well I'll ceratinly be considering moving there properly after I graduate next year.

I'm planning to hit up Rosetta Stone before I go, as I hear it's a pretty good way to learn the basics of a language. Don't have the time or money to do a proper language course unfortunately.

German bank account does sound like it could be a problem, hopefully I should be able to get some advice on that one from the company I'm working for.

Any other good advice?

zhao

there are no accidents
For anyone who moved there from another country sans German speaking ability, how did you sort out a flat, how tricky was it, etc?
I hear rent is 'cheap'. How cheap is cheap?
Basically any tips / advice / dos and don'ts at all I guess.

Thanks!

i've used craigslist and the http://www.wg-gesucht.de/ and another for student sharing type site the first year i was here, moving from sublet to sublet (3 altogether).

my second one was in Friedrichshain, top unit with big roof studio on one of those huge complexes, it was 450 a month with a flatmate, but i had the big studio in the second pic:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_ar2Zn8ZtzaY/RyZreta26CI/AAAAAAAAAGw/D7Y8ycc_HPc/s1600-h/downstairs.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ar2Zn8ZtzaY/RyZrwNa26DI/AAAAAAAAAG4/vOFt12hTflA/s1600-h/studio.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_ar2Zn8ZtzaY/RyZs19a26FI/AAAAAAAAAHI/BmTZYtIw-bM/s1600-h/view.jpg

shouldn't be hard to sort something out.

zhao

there are no accidents
and the anarchists in Friedrichshain have been acting up lately... vandalized and dropped stink bombs on some new yuppie restaurants recently in an (insert appropriate adjective here) effort to stop gentrification and displacement of old skool residents... and just this past weekend something like 50 were arrested in Alex during a protest against some financial policy or other in a protest which turned violent.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think received wisdom from here in London - not my opinion, but people are saying it - is that Berlin kinda 'had its day'. It's quite a London thing I think to even think like that - in terms of zeitgeist - and equally it could be that Berlin has had its day for people from the UK, simply to do with the pound/euro equality, it's no longer cheap for brits to be there.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah the Pound/Euro thing is a bit of a shame, but surely it can be easily sidestepped by earning Euros rather than just spending them?

I'm not sure I really care about it 'having had its day', for British people or otherwise. I'm only there for 3 months, so I reckon I'll get a resonable taster for it one way or the other.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm not sure I really care about it 'having had its day', for British people or otherwise. I'm only there for 3 months, so I reckon I'll get a resonable taster for it one way or the other.

Yeah I don't think it's something to be taken seriously, it's just I've heard a few people say it.
I was there last month for the first time properly and loved it, but then again I'm always late to a party ;)

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Fashionable late I'm sure. Clearly the best time to arrive is right after the British people have left. Or is that a bit harsh?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I swear colonization is an innate evolutionary genetic characteristic of British people. When they travel abroad it is like, upon arriving, they immediately set on making that place as much like Britain as possible and then filling it with even more British people.

The other Hated Tourist, The American Tourist, functions a little differently to this. They have no humility either, but their mission is not one of assimilation. They are ok with you keeping your little culture because as Americans they are entitled to it. There is no ground too sacred, no custom too ancient, and no person too busy for the typical American tourist.

You should see what the British have done to Barbados.

polystyle

Berlin is a special place, has been for a long time.
Will continue to be so .
The mix of people , tribes helps keep it fresh.
Enjoy the spring ..
;).