The Apprentice

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
1) This show is completely tone-deaf to the current climate.

2) All of the contestants are completely mad.

mms

sometimes
1) This show is completely tone-deaf to the current climate.

2) All of the contestants are completely mad.

yes and yes, all the contestants are a total stereotype of the worst aspects of working in a modern office, utterly snarky, full of management shit speak, selfish and a total hinderance to the work in hand, untalented little soldiers of nothing except empty gestures and self help books, the job is a sales job. Part of the task is to sneak on each other and look out for themselves each week, honestly, who would want it.
You're also supposed to admire the amstrad computer guy whatever he's called but he's a twat.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
When they all go at each other in the boardroom like cats, I feel bad for them. Not only does it not make zero sense (what boss would sit there and listen to all this bullshit in real life?) but it is extremely degrading to humanity generally. Can't someone just say: "I made the following three mistakes, for which I take full responsibility." That would be impressive.

Also, the idea that Sugar (who I can't help liking) is some sort of global tycoon, who flies his helicopter into work every morning to his office in Canary Wharf... Sugar's business these days is managing property, his office is in Essex, the "dream job" is a glorified estate agent.

I note also that I find the show strangely compelling.

crackerjack

Also, the idea that Sugar (who I can't help liking) is some sort of global tycoon, who flies his helicopter into work every morning to his office in Canary Wharf... Sugar's business these days is managing property, his office is in Essex, the "dream job" is a glorified estate agent.

I assumed his main income these days was from celebrity and that the dream job would be glorified PA. Reality TV needs to get up to pace - half the TV chefs are having to close their restaurants. I want the one where Gordon Ramsey sits alone in an empty restaurant, weeping and calling himslef a cunt.

mms

sometimes
When they all go at each other in the boardroom like cats, I feel bad for them. Not only does it not make zero sense (what boss would sit there and listen to all this bullshit in real life?) but it is extremely degrading to humanity generally. Can't someone just say: "I made the following three mistakes, for which I take full responsibility." That would be impressive.

I note also that I find the show strangely compelling.

yeah ok he's alright, donald trump and his ridiculous wig though, he seemed strangely stupid, i was suprised how a man that stupid could be so rich, but it happens.

yes the boardroom is an exercise in watching the more ruthless, mean spirited people get away with lying and bullying, just for ol sir alan to go ' i like you, you've got spirit.'

Algierstwin

I assumed his main income these days was from celebrity and that the dream job would be glorified PA. Reality TV needs to get up to pace - half the TV chefs are having to close their restaurants. I want the one where Gordon Ramsey sits alone in an empty restaurant, weeping and calling himslef a cunt.

haha that really would be priceless.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
There aren't enough TV shows about failure. The Apprentice is about success, the success of the law of the jungle. Kill or be killed, you fuckers, and then suck Satan's cock. Which I guess is another kind of failure.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Then maybe there aren't enough TV shows about success. For example, a TV show about a man struggling vainly to open an umbrella in howling gales, and then nothing but that.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Or, a third possibility, and I think now the most likely - maybe I don't in fact know what I'm talking about, considering I live in Germany and don't even own a TV.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares is all about failure. That's why it's so brilliant.

I find it strangely compelling. Did you see the one where the chef married his waitress? Gord brought them a wedding ring and got them married in front of a restaurant full of diners. Awesome.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The day won't come soon enough when Gordo calls the right person a donkey at the wrong time and gets smacked in his craterous face. Marco Pierre White made him cry once; it must happen again while we're all still living in the solar eclipse of his ego.

D

droid

My favourite bit in the last series was when the teams were sent to a market in Morocco to buy a list of items, one of which was a kosher chicken... One team had no idea what kosher meant and ended up getting a Muslim butcher to 'bless' the chicken. All well and good, except the mouthiest guy on that team also happened to be Jewish...

crackerjack

My favourite bit in the last series was when the teams were sent to a market in Morocco to buy a list of items, one of which was a kosher chicken... One team had no idea what kosher meant and ended up getting a Muslim butcher to 'bless' the chicken. All well and good, except the mouthiest guy on that team also happened to be Jewish...

And had made a point of being a "good Jewish boy" to Sugar.

Not that I watch these things...

STN

sou'wester
The best bits about that were a) they kept asking locals really loudly for 'a HOLY MAN'; 'can you tell us where we'd find a HOLY MAN'. Whichever one you think it relates to, Judaism or Islam are both huge Abrahamic faiths, you aren't really looking for a 'holy man', and b) the way they told Alan Sugar that a geezer had said a prayer to Allah over the chicken and Sir Alan bellowed "'OO!?", as though they'd told him someone said a prayer to Derek or Sheila, or someone else he'd never heard of, over it.

The food ones are always the awesomest because they best highlight the gulf between how sophisticated the contestants actually are and how sophisticated they think they are.

D

droid

The best bits about that were a) they kept asking locals really loudly for 'a HOLY MAN'; 'can you tell us where we'd find a HOLY MAN'. Whichever one you think it relates to, Judaism or Islam are both huge Abrahamic faiths, you aren't really looking for a 'holy man', and b) the way they told Alan Sugar that a geezer had said a prayer to Allah over the chicken and Sir Alan bellowed "'OO!?", as though they'd told him someone said a prayer to Derek or Sheila, or someone else he'd never heard of, over it.

The food ones are always the awesomest because they best highlight the gulf between how sophisticated the contestants actually are and how sophisticated they think they are.

Yeah, the stupidity on display is completely astounding, especially considering the level of education some of these cunts have reached. They're like cave dwelling organisms who've developed giant eyes to deal with their environment, but every other organ has atrophied. Take 'em out of the cave and their weak and deformed bodies just thrash feebly in a puddle on the ground...