angry young men

don_quixote

Trent End
hey;

recently become interested in this... through david peace interviews. i got a sillitoe collection of short stories and a john braine novel in a charity shop yesterday, admittedly i was after 'saturday night sunday morning', but i couldn't find it.

what's worth looking for? and is this worth pursuing or should i concentrate my efforts elsewhere?

jenks

thread death
Loneliness of Long Distance Runner

Billy Liar

A Kind of Loving

they'll do for starters

petergunn

plywood violin
seconding Billy Liar...

actaully has some playful fun humor to it, unlike alot of this genre (see John Osbourne)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Saturday Night & Sunday Morning is very good - what really struck me about it was the complete lack of overt ideology or social criticism, it comes across as just a shot of reality. Also good for random bits of Nottingham based location geekery...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, Saturday Night... is really worth checking out - both the book and film are good.

"Also good for random bits of Nottingham based location geekery..."
When I was at uni I was living in those very Lenton streets where much of his stuff is based.

Does Joe Orton count as an angry young man?

mms

sometimes
taste of honey is good, look back in anger, i just didn't really have any sympathy for the lead, IF is fun too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Look Back in Anger was premiered at the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square, a great theatre but a bizarre location in a way given the subject matter/aesthetic.

crackerjack

taste of honey is good, look back in anger, i just didn't really have any sympathy for the lead, IF is fun too.

First time I saw the film I went along with everything you were supposed to think about it. Second time, years later, I realised Porter was just a cantankerous twat who needed slapping.

2nded, 3rded, whatever, on Sat Night Sun Morn - fantastic film. What's the one with richard Harris as the rugby league player? that were reet good too

crackerjack

Look Back in Anger was premiered at the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square, a great theatre but a bizarre location in a way given the subject matter/aesthetic.

But wasn't it always a big theatrical fuck you to the upper/middle class than something aimed at the people it was supposed to be about?

I dunno much about Osbourne, he always seemed truly horrible as a person. Good in get Carter tho

don_quixote

Trent End
ok, read saturday night, sunday morning and room at the top. i'll start on jenks lot when i get back to living by a university library (why are public libraries full of crap?!)

sn,sm: really enjoyed - see what you mean by the nottingham geekery. and that opening chapter is FAB, if i had my a-level english lit all over again i'd love to write a contrast between the first chapter of sn,sm and the first chapter of that ian mcewan novel everyone reads.

room at the top felt a lot lighter, bit more airey fairy, didn't really see why he's the first 'angry young man' when he doesn't really seem that angry. the bit where it switches to a third person narrative and sums up his thoughts about the situation with her parents was pretty neat though.

jenks

thread death
First time I saw the film I went along with everything you were supposed to think about it. Second time, years later, I realised Porter was just a cantankerous twat who needed slapping.

2nded, 3rded, whatever, on Sat Night Sun Morn - fantastic film. What's the one with richard Harris as the rugby league player? that were reet good too

This Sporting Life?