Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default G20

Quite a confluence today in London
    A reported 4000 protesters out today
    Video of people pushing , shoving on CNN Int. right now
    One square filled with people , many in black blocking access to a major highway is it ?
    Tonight sounds like it could get hot ...
    How's it for Dissensians out in there ?

Merkl looks for regulation
    China comes in strong
    Russia - US talk nuke reduction for first time in dunno , 10 years
    The N Korea missile they said was a sat sits on the launch pad, but lost game to S Korea
    Sudans leader pretty much fetted and defended
    Conficker computer virus April 1

Crackerjack
    just hearing from TV about the police tactic you experienced at the protest-
    keeping protesters fenced in and not letting people out once they are in !
    Must have been crazy to be in it ...

Quote Originally Posted by polystyle desu View Post
    Crackerjack
    "kettling" - been doing it at least since Mayday 2000. Keep protestors confined for hours and watch them get angrier and angrier.

We like our ritualistic confrontations in London.

I'm off up there to have a look in a minute. (it's on my way home).

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    "kettling" - been doing it at least since Mayday 2000. Keep protestors confined for hours and watch them get angrier and angrier.
    It was clearly a prearranged tactic. The PCs station at one cordon wanred us beforehand that this might happen, so i went around to the one on Threadneedle St which ws pretty lax. Until.

I'm off up there to have a look in a minute. (it's on my way home).
    I'm getting the Free John Eden banners ready

Quote Originally Posted by polystyle desu View Post
    Crackerjack
    It was pretty calm for the first hour or so, then people started getting pissed off (and pissing - an informal bog was set about behind some banners strapped to the railings and the pavement looked like it was the centre of a rainstorm).

I began on Threadneedle St, then left when the dickheads started chucking red paint and bottles at the police (that reminds me - does putting your trainers thru the washing machine fuck them or the machine up?).

I asked one copper why we hadn't been warned what would happen and he said "we don't give away all our secrets". You could sense peopl getting increasingly ratty about being hemmed in. I was determined to sit it oout and avoid any violence, but I'd just had enough and there was a pretty clear tipping point when you could see a tide of people moving towards the Cheapside cordon so I joined that.

Once everyone deciced they were breaking through there was nothing the police could do to stop it. It didn't actually seem that violent and I got through without any major fuss, just a lot of pushing and pulling, some people trying to whack police with placards. I did my Ghandi bit, then kept on walking. Been reading guardian blogs and it seems minutes after wee broke through there they started letting people out.

I just don't understand the thinking that says the best way to handle a crowd with about 2-300 slightly violent people is to hem everyone else in with them against their will, so you've got thousands of demonstrators instead of hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post

I just don't understand the thinking that says the best way to handle a crowd with about 2-300 slightly violent people is to hem everyone else in with them against their will, so you've got thousands of demonstrators instead of hundreds.
    It's a top tactic, works, and has a lot to do with human dynamics. Technically, it's easier to police 800 fenced off, fed up folks (and this tactic goes way back to football matches in the 60s and 70s) than it is having smaller groups running around freely. Just look what happens to people when their tube's stuck in a tunnel for a hour on a sweltering hot day - they normally snap and lose it with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    It's a top tactic, works...
    hell yeah it is...so much easier to control a single large mass than tons of smaller groups roaming around a city...once a few years ago at an anti-IMF demo I saw the D.C. cops execute it to perfection...just hemmed everyone from the big main (planned, permitted) march in at the beginning, pressed them up agianst a row of buildings & arrested everyone en masse...like 800 ppl, charged them all with disorderly just to get bodies off the streets...

on the other hand think of something like Seattle, all these small groups going around unchecked...I mean this sounds silly but it's like guerrilla warfare, you're never going to be able to stand up to the cops in an open fight, or rush a well-defended barricade...makes so much more sense to hit & run...swim in the sea of non-protestors...I reckon that business about dressing up as cops was a bit too clever for its own good...

anyway I'm quite skeptical about these big protest summits & have been for some time...whether you go to chuck a brick or to hold a placard it's equally symbolic...I guess as John Eden says people love their symbolic confrontations, make the whole thing into a big Spectacle...I guess the economic nuts & bolts stuff is much less exciting...

*EDIT* but nonetheless best of luck to Crackerjack & anyone else out on the streets...
    Last edited by padraig (u.s.); 01-04-2009 at 06:55 PM.

There are TV pics now of the police just wading in with truncheons. Even Sky News (sample quote earlier: the police seem to have handled things pretty well) aare shocked.

Protests at Excel Center , Moorgate , Belgravia and Liverpool Street
    effigy of a banker burned by Bank Of London
    around 2,000 - make that 200 protesters penned up some for 9 hours.
    Blackberry anarchists , twitter mobs

G20 group photo with the Queen
    "Abolish Money"
    MSNBC just mistakenly identified the Korea leader as being Japanese
    Israel foreign minister Avidor Lieberman dismisses Annapolis 2007 declaration
    Last edited by polystyle desu; 01-04-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: correction

I've just remmebered the most disturbing incident of the whole thing - a really, really terrible hippy singing about the 60s "when music meant something". I heard the names Jim and Janis. He was performing beneath a 9/11 troofer banner. you can see why people get wound up by this shit.

The soundtrack today was some pretty good breakcore and some hippies singing.

It kicked off down by the bank at between Throgmorton Street and Threadneedle and then we got cordoned off by mounted police. I've been caught in them before and they scare the shit out of me so I went through the scaffolding to get out. Good on the Climate lot though, that was nice, a nice little tactic.

It was nice round London Bridge on the way home.

Indymedia says that Bank's being cleared out now, single file with searches and photos taken.
    Last edited by mistersloane; 02-04-2009 at 12:48 AM.

One dead

yeah that's awful if true, can't find anything about it online though?