G20

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It appears the Tamils are giving the Met a run for their money...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7987837.stm

That's how demos should work - turn up and demonstrate, don't sit around knitting muesli bars and pleading

yer, nice to see a total disregard for any of the anti-terorrist laws, the police are fucked on this one, cos in theory they've got to arrest all 3,000 people who attended on breach of not giving notice to protest in Westminister. It's quite beautiful.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I covered the Tamil protest in Toronto for a University newspaper and it was one of the more amazing things I've seen happen in the city since I've lived here.

that's really cool Sick Boy.

it must be said there's loads of those fucking Tiger flags here adding nothing to what is obviously a just cause and demand, but, eh, i guess they can hand them out easy on demos, afford to print them up.

yer, nice to see a total disregard for any of the anti-terorrist laws, the police are fucked on this one, cos in theory they've got to arrest all 3,000 people who attended on breach of not giving notice to protest in Westminister. It's quite beautiful.

haha!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
By the way, there is nothing cool about the Tamil protestors ignoring anti-terrorist laws by holding up LTTE flags. The Tigers are monsters and there is nothing beautiful about them. There is a reason they've been condemned internationally

Pioneering the use of suicide bombers, for starters.

EDIT: Reading your post again Sloane, I realize you probably weren't referencing this aspect of the protest specifically.

Last edited:

polystyle

That's a pretty hard push , but not hard to topple someone if they are not prepared for it.
Having gotten almost exactly this kind of push from our 'Protect And Serve' boys here,
it's a *ucked feeling getting shoved like that.
Was interesting to see him get up and walk right by the camera,
heart prolly going into attack.
Not moving fast enough copper ? got you on the video.
:mad:

crackerjack

And according to the Guardian's report, witnesses saw him assaulted before the video clip.

Witnesses said that, prior to the moment captured on video, he had already been hit with batons and thrown to the floor by police who blocked his route home.

One witness, Anna Branthwaite, a photographer, described how, in the minutes before the video was shot, she saw Tomlinson walking towards Cornhill Street.

"A riot police officer had already grabbed him and was pushing him," she said.

"It wasn't just pushing him – he'd rushed him. He went to the floor and he did actually roll. That was quite noticeable.

"It was the force of the impact. He bounced on the floor. It was a very forceful knocking down from behind. The officer hit him twice with a baton when he was lying on the floor.

"So it wasn't just that the officer had pushed him – it became an assault.

"And then the officer picked him up from the back, continued to walk or charge with him, and threw him.

"He was running and stumbling. He didn't turn and confront the officer or anything like that."

The witness accounts contradict the official version of events given by police.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
EDIT: Reading your post again Sloane, I realize you probably weren't referencing this aspect of the protest specifically.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about that bit, it was about the fact that it's not legal to protest in Parliament Square anymore without police permission. Sorry if I was a bit unclear, I was just quite excited.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Police seemed remarkably restrained when i went past the Tamil protest right on parliament green. There were alot of police but not the kind of riot tactics being employed. If they'd been a bunch of anarchists flying illegal flags it would have been a lot different i'm sure.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Now if Labour and Wacky Jaqui has had their ways this type of footage might have been deemed illegal and it might still be so.

As police closed down large sections of the City of London last week in readiness for the G20 protests, Mason was not impressed when police officers asked him to explain why he had taken photos of a TV crew outside the Royal Bank of Scotland’s Bishopsgate Offices.
His unhappy encounter began as he was making his way to work down Bishopsgate at around 9 in the morning. Speaking to The Register, he said: "I saw a film crew setting up outside RBS and thought that would make an interesting picture. The next thing I knew, three police officers approached me and asked me to explain what I was doing. According to them, this was to ‘investigate suspected crime, disorder or anti-social behaviour’."

These powers apply to "designated areas", which the Met confirmed last night currently cover the whole of London, subject to review of this status on a 28-day basis.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/07/gov_photography/

Nu-Labour is all about restriction, control and "we know better" -
this is not leftist, this is far-right or DDR-type control. And it's creeping closer every day (we tracked this in various earlier threads on here).

If challenged by police know your rights, they cannot take your equipment.

Having restriction on the whole of London is beyond belief and I wonder how long those 28-days really are. I bet these 28-days have been rolling and will roll for some time.

polystyle

The Police in the video remind me of the police with dogs in those scenes in "Children Of Men" , snarling and nasty enough to fit right in.
"28 Days" - another movie !

STN

sou'wester
So the police being pelted with bottles etc as they rushed to the man's aid, was that just a great big chinny-beardy lie?

crackerjack

So the police being pelted with bottles etc as they rushed to the man's aid, was that just a great big chinny-beardy lie?

Not necessarily - he walked off (as visible near the end of the vid) and collapsed out of sight of this camera. Police responding to calls for help after he collapsed could still then have been pelted.

But given the blatant lying the Met now regards as a routine part of damage control, it would seem they're at it again.

editL: just watching the vid Droid posted. So "one, maybe two bottles" and an immediate response from the crowd, telling the perpetrator(s) to stop.

john eden

male pale and stale
Re: pelting - there are witness statements saying that two or three plastic bottles were thrown towards the police from some way away - and that the protestors who could see what was happening ensured this stopped.

D

droid

:D I think the propaganda model would be more apt in this case!

Check out the Guardian video:

EDIT: And why can't we embed youtube vids again? Is Dissensus part of this conspiracy too?