Iq

rob_giri

Given that we are multi-dimensional beings who operate on different levels of intelligence simultaneously, the IQ test, as a means of testing OVERALL intelligence, is complete tripe

In testing the level of conceptual/analytical intelligence, then perhaps - but we operate at varying degrees simultaneously, consciously or unconsciousloy, on the levels of physical intelligence, emotional intelligence, social intelligence, somatic intelligence, psychic intelligence, mythic intelligence and spiritual intelligence; to use the Leary-RAW-Alli 8 Circuit brain model, which was correlated out of several ancient and modern neurological scripts.

As Gurdjieff would say, some people are conceptual adepts but are physical idiots, some are social and emotional geniuses but conceptual fools.

The IQ test and its place in our society and the faith that the institutions have that it posits a veritable significator of a person's 'overall' intelligence is a perfect example of just how split our civilisation is, and just how overrun our culture is with the sort of tremendous intellectual arrogance that continues to perpetuate the collective mind-body schizm.

If people could be taught about the intellect and it's place in the makeup of a human being then it could be properly integrated and not abused in such a way as it is today.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
There's a good piece in the FT today on IQ.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/4add9230-23d5-11de-996a-00144feabdc0.html

To me it seems like having a huge IQ (say 160+) seems (edit:at least for some) as useful as having one of the world's largest cocks or breasts.

A tool that you can rarely use, it can make you a freak and an outsider [hmm - so not that bad then?] and ultimately many of the prodigies have close to nothing to show for all their mental powers.

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

I think I can see it in the way that the brightest children that I teach (who have tested in the top percentile) interact with the others: they act like rather aloof adults who have been forced to babysit.

They might end up having fewer friends (if unable to choose who lies within their social circle), but at least can find some consolation that while their classmates are tearing their hair out over classwork, they can sit back and coast all the way to the career of their choice.

And even if they don't achieve the trappings of success, it's almost certain that they still have 'something to show' for their abilities, as the world that surrounds them, refracted through the prism of their intelligence, looks very much a different place than the world that most others see.

(tho' maybe that's over-egging it a bit)