Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Books with life-changing qualities

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    The impact of what poisons you when you are young is not to be understated in my opinion.
    I believe in dis very much.

"The Alchemist had an effect on me, but I'm not sure if it really changed my life. Just a great affirming read."
    By Paulo Coelho? Surely not. I thought that was the worst book I'd ever had the misfortune to be tricked into reading. I actually felt insulted that someone had the temerity to splurge that kind of bilge on to paper and then ask people for money in exhange. And I felt physically sick that it seemed to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    By Paulo Coelho? Surely not. I thought that was the worst book I'd ever had the misfortune to be tricked into reading. I actually felt insulted that someone had the temerity to splurge that kind of bilge on to paper and then ask people for money in exhange. And I felt physically sick that it seemed to be working.
    Not read it. Is it as bad as Martin Amis (the fictional stuff - very good journalist back in the day) or Salman Rushdie? Tricksters of the highest order.

Edit: add Houllebecq's 'Atomised' to that list - what the FUCK was that meant to be about? Pretentious bilge.

Edit two: that list could stretch out all day, actually - feted authors who are all style and zero substance.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Not read it. Is it as bad as Martin Amis (the fictional stuff - very good journalist back in the day) or Salman Rushdie? Tricksters of the highest order.
    You can't dis Money - really, you can't. It's not his fault it was the starting point for a thousand lesser talents

I've not read Money, but Other People and London Fields were utterly embarrassing.

My life-changer: John Cowper Powys's novel, Wolf Solent.

It's much worse than any of those authors (all of whom I actually like to a greater or lesser degree).

I thought Atomized was okay, but it seemed to be successful because of that turn-of-the-century error of conflating obnoxiousness with honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentative Andy View Post
    Simon Reynolds - Energy Flash
    Joseph Heller - Catch-22 (which may prove Sick Boy's point. But hey, don't be ashamed of your choices, they're great)
    Tick and tick. Thanks for all the other suggestions too - have been meaning to check out Barthes (not Fabian (-z) - I bet his books would be rubbish) for ages.

As for Catch-22, why would anyone be ashamed? A book the first chapter of which is still side-splittingly funny 56 years after it was written is a rare commodity indeed. Samuel Shem's 'House of God'(?) seems good, but such a rip-off of Heller.

OK, I'll add:

Dan Rhodes - Anthropology' (solidified my love for literary brevity beyond the point of return)

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    I've not read Money, but Other People and London Fields were utterly embarrassing.
    Likewise. Couldn't be arsed after reading 'LF' - life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    I thought Atomized was okay, but it seemed to be successful because of that turn-of-the-century error of conflating obnoxiousness with honesty.
    I'd go with that.

He pandered to all the stupid broadsheet critics by creating a novel with 'Big Ideas' - it was embarrassing to see people praise it so much, once one had actually read it.

I liked his first one though. A simple yet pertinent point, well made.

I still have a Houllebecq lying unread, at least six years since I bought it. The curse of 3 for 2 strikes again. It's very thin, though, so shitness wouldn't be a massive problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    i've only read 1/3 of it. so don't know the answer to that... big issue with me so i need to finish it and find out what she says about it.
    A book you only read a third of changed your life? You couldn't have liked it that much then!

plus the cover's a bit saucy.

edit: i mean of Atomised.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    I still have a Houllebecq lying unread, at least six years since I bought it. The curse of 3 for 2 strikes again. It's very thin, though, so shitness wouldn't be a massive problem.
    Probably the first one then. Worth a read, I think.