k punk, why k?

wot, from Mr 'every day is like Christmas, I don't need none of your horse tranquiliser nonsense' k-punk. I think it stands for kyber as in cyber (Greek?), but I probably got the spelling wrong. Interestingly, in Croatian, the later 'k' on its own means 'towards'. Now that's neat.

ambrose

infinite thought said:
Interestingly, in Croatian, the later 'k' on its own means 'towards'. Now that's neat.

also in russian czech, polish (?) etc. its a slavonic ting!

nick.K

gabba survivor
'K' is a very special letter but the reasons why 'K' is important to me came through my own personal experence, so I'd be interested to hear other have to say

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Kool...

and Kurtz

and K (Joseph)... cf D/G on Kafka: 'k, the k-function'

the term k-punk has its origin Nick Land's 90s stuff. I've asked arch-archivist and uberscholar Sphaleotas to track down the first ref...

nick.K

gabba survivor
Again, these are personal associations.

K is onomatopoeic, it kicks, it's an action, perhaps knee-jerk, but that's only natural. It's unlike any other letter. The symbol is heading off in several direction at once, which mirrors my own thought processes (..bah..) and at times I've perceived it as a four dimensional axis - the best visual analogy is the effect of staring at a 3d cube drawn on a piece of paper flashing between states: an indentation or projection out from the page. Also, it seems the symbol is trying to turn back on itself but can't. It has strong design potential and crucially no curves, it's almost the opposite of an egg and there's no love between me and eggs, their lack of edges disconcerts me.

+ as I child I associated it with goose-stepping army of hammers, an association that carried terrible power, I felt it inside but knew I mustn't ever release it. Much the same way comics and superheroes made me feel I had the potential to suddenly dash around a corner, strip into my costume and rush out to impress the 'red-haired-girl'. Of course, I never did... but I could have

+ it ends my first name and begins my second, like a glitch, And there's been times when I've perceived my name as a mobius strip, no beginning and no end (obviously a scar from my daft teenage obsession with Finnegan's Wake)

+ just before I started KIN I noticed that I'd almost immediately start looking through MP3 lists or record racks in the K section - the KLF, Kylie, Kompakt, Kraftwerk. Whereas in the 90s I'd check W and T first.

This all that's come to mind while I run the bath but I could go on all night about K. Apologies for the subjectiveness - or general flakiness to the cynics - of my observations. I've never really given it any serious thought, whereas I have spent a good deal of time wondering about it, usually when I'm staring at the back of my eyelids in the early hours (..grins..). I know there's a good deal of research been done (no, not Kula Shaker) that I've never read, but I was hoping someone else would fill me in on that.

Honestly mark, what's with the K?

TheScuSpeaks

k-punk said:
Kool...

and Kurtz

and K (Joseph)... cf D/G on Kafka: 'k, the k-function'

the term k-punk has its origin Nick Land's 90s stuff. I've asked arch-archivist and uberscholar Sphaleotas to track down the first ref...

Right, and also in my subculture of academic policy debate K is short for Kritik.