well, do you?

• Total voters

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think a change in Dissensus policy is called for. Instead of naming threads at the beginning and then excitedly jumping to page 6 only to find that, instead of being able to discuss the merits of the Scottish Enlightenment you are forced to take sides in a vicious factional feud about which breed of cat is the most rational and what in fact does that even mean, why not have each poster successively rename the thread according to what is actually going on at that point in said thread?

To save on disappointment, like.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I dunno, I'm probably sounding some career-obsessed dick who thinks that what you do for money defines who you are as a person,

Yeah I thought of that when I posted that a 'real' artist was one who made money from it - it's such a dangerous area to define 'real' in terms of money - maybe a 'jobbing' artist is better, they're certainly the ones I look to for clues as to how to survive. It's about career rather than hobby, isn't it? But even the word 'career' makes me violently ill. It's no wonder I'm such a mess.

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah I thought of that when I posted that a 'real' artist was one who made money from it - it's such a dangerous area to define 'real' in terms of money - maybe a 'jobbing' artist is better, they're certainly the ones I look to for clues as to how to survive. It's about career rather than hobby, isn't it? But even the word 'career' makes me violently ill. It's no wonder I'm such a mess.

all the new crop of art students cum "artists" that come out of the training camps cum art universities, are super careerist. well not ALL but a lot. they seem to have no real interest in ideas, but rather gather in little cliques trading art world insider gossip. edit: it's real heart warming.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Slightly OT (and way off the original topic), a general observation: claiming "creativity"* seems to have become a new oppressive hierachy, ignoring the fact that it all depends on what you create is any good/has value (cos stuff can be technically bad but still have great value, obv, if your heart/soul/brain is in it).

ie The automatic assumption that it somehow makes someone more interesting/worthy if they have produced art in some form fucks me off.

Not in reference to any point mentioned here, but it just struck me.

* and what the word itself means has become obfuscated

connect_icut

On topic!

Cats. Because they bury their poo and they don't eat poo and they don't smell like poo.

And because mine looks like this:

sneefler_deck.jpg

I do like dogs too and regularly take a friend's deaf American Eskimo on hikes. She does like to eat poo, though. The dog, not the friend.

dog_mountain1.jpg