Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J G Ballard - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Super-Cannes is great, especially the first 2/3s. But that final quartet of books suffered for being essentially the same book written four times.
    thats kinda what i liked about cocaine nights and super cannes, i haven't read kingdom come but i believe its a bit like millenium people which was a little weaker in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    thats kinda what i liked about cocaine nights and super cannes, i haven't read kingdom come but i believe its a bit like millenium people which was a little weaker in a way.
    I liked the similarity of the ideas, but the repetitive structure wore me down. By the time he got to MP I wanted a new approach 9and like you, didn't read KC).

On another note, someone was bound to do this.

Default In celebration of JG ...

JG Ballard "What I Believe"

' I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.

I believe in the non-existence of the past, in the death of the future, and the infinite possibilities of the present. '

We are beginning to organize something ( show / concert / media / pub. / etc. )
    around celebrating JG's work.
    Any creatives here on Dissensus care to throw in /show up / contribute,
    let me know ...
    Last edited by polystyle desu; 20-04-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by polystyle desu View Post
    We are beginning to organize something ( show / concert / media / pub. / etc. )
    around celebrating JG's work.
    Any creatives here on Dissensus care to throw in /show up / contribute,
    let me know ...
    I can do my part by staying in my bedroom for 3 days and watch the first 30 seconds of Crash over and over and over and over...

Very sad news indeed. I read 'Kingdom Come' at the start of this year and thought it was superb, and it allowed me to warm to his authorial voice more than something like 'High Rise', which I admired more than enjoyed.

oops, I read Miracles of Life, not Kingdom Come.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 20-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    admired more than enjoyed.
    yeah, i feel this way about some of his stuff, but Super-Cannes got to me...more specifically, Eden-Olympia got to me...what a fucking nightmare...

THE LUNACY OF FLOWERS

aye, respect

also big up Polystyle re the night being talked about
    Last edited by scottdisco; 20-04-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: removing Charles Moore sniffery

Cheers Scott.
    Here's to nights, events , audio visuals, we'll see who all joins up.
    Looking at things in NYC area and likely London from feedback we've gotten already.
    More back channel communications, PM's ,
    canals, the odd dry pool pirates & DJ's

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    I thought Kingdom come was excellent actually, yes it was the same book, but the theme was great. I always think of it when I'm in a shopping centre.

Default Readers of Ballard ...

Who would be great at narrating Ballard texts - and who could ?

Currently thinking Atrocity Exhibition excepts
    ( - it's just too much to tackle the whole thing on short notice, maybe eventually after web collab's inclusions , etc. ) to start with ,
    but probably a whole other Ballard taste, one of the enviornmental novels
    and possibly something from either Cocaine Nights or Super Cannes.

Who may be available and possibly persuaded / inspired to join in ...

i liked everything i ever read by the man... and some i loved. his poetic, descriptive power, and in service of that monstrous imagination... the themes and imagery haunt and resonate with force for years and years.. unequaled in his lifetime i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by polystyle desu View Post
    Who would be great at narrating Ballard texts - and who could ?

Who may be available and possibly persuaded / inspired to join in ...
    Sir David Attenborough? just kidding. but his voice can be a bit out of breath and tired in a good way... entropic one might say. but i suppose i thought of him because ive heard him describe the mating rituals of dragon-flies, the workings of ant colonies, things in my mind close to the Ballardian universe, so many times...

if there is something i can do from berlin just let me know.

I recommend the two ReSearch books as well - 'Quotes' and 'Interviews' - Ballard being as good (if not better) at visionary thinking as he was writing. In some ways a very ordinary prose stylist, but that somehow adds to the strangeness of his imagination...all the beaches at the end of the world...the Med of the imagination. Love his short stories, 'The Atrocity Exhibition', 'Super Cannes', his eco-disaster novels of the 60s and anyone who can call a chapter 'Why I Want To Fuck Ronald Reagan' can't be bad.

no david attenbourgh is a great idea. well done.
    i dont care about writing i don't think. i don't seem to get much pleasure from it. im more interested in great imaginations than good writers. ballard was pretty immense.
    whos left?