Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Addiction

I woudl suggest that modern life bombards us with possible addictions, to the point that it confuses and disorients so many people from what they really want that it leads to mass low-level unhappiness/search for 'meaning'.
    i suppose i am, with the post above, moving the "unhappiness" before the addiction in the chain of causality.

@ T Andy: Take your point, definitely, but I just see no evidence of that here in London (and I'm not hanging out in the posh parts generally). It seems that lots of other inessentials go before booze does. Maybe people are just drinking at home a bit/lot more, because there's no appreciable difference on nights out here. i think we just live in quite a nihilistic culture, and that's what I've always thought; and, like any good nihilist, a British person is adept at finding cheaper ways to get fucked when the going gets tough.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    i suppose i am, with the post above, moving the "unhappiness" before the addiction in the chain of causality.
    Very true, good point. On your opther post, I couldn't agree more about (in particular) play and extended family. I would rather have had more adults in my life than just two (and obviously many people have one or none), and fully intend, if I have kids, to bring them up with other adults they know well. Problem is being in close proximity to close friends, for that to be possible (or finding new close friends where you 'settle').

complete parallel with the books thread: reading "Drama of Gifted Child" right now and author is talking about the essential need for all children to be, gross simplification here, emotionally validated, and to be made to feel safe with the expression of their feelings.

if i may get a little therapy session on us:

i myself was always treated like a "project", which the initiators/owners want to become a success, but with zero regard to how this "project" might have felt, as a human child.

i believe this is the root of all my addictions/problems; but also it has become a strange drive: to become the best at whatever it is i do, and to win back the love and approval that i never had from a cheering crowd or happy clients or magazine articles...

or even approval of people on the internet.

edit: but of course the "drive" i speak of is just another addiction: success. which is, not coincidentally, but very much ironically, the only thing my parents cared about.
    Last edited by zhao; 22-04-2009 at 09:29 AM.

im horrified at the amount of time i spend on dissensus. its actually quite distressing. its the only thing i worry about. i dont watch tv or eat junk food or need sugar. i can smoke cigs every day for months and then stop without getting the slightest craving. drinks never been an issue. i smoked an 8th os skunk yesterday but i'll have a week or two off now. i hate not having control. not being able to decide.
    burruoghs is definitely the one here, he breaks it all down so precisely its utterly awe inspiring. the same ruse. over and over. press the pleasure button! again! again!

i second this. someone link to or articulate what these orders constitute?
    think its an idea of harry frankfurts so fairly recent. i did my dissertation on this kind of thing, its bringing back memories

some stuff here http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/#2
    Last edited by UFO over easy; 22-04-2009 at 10:02 AM.

I remember studying someone (possibly frankfurt)who talked about orders of desire in undergrad philosophy ages ago, and it made a lot of sense to me.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Bullshit. I may well have to read this.

@Luka - in terms of pure addiction, the internet is the only one I worry about. As with you, drink/cigarettes/drugs i can rationalise away and keep at manageable levels. And which Burroughs book do you recommend in this context?

@zhao - in terms of the success drive, have you spoken much (you may well have done) to people who have reached a certain pinnacle of their profession/interest area? From my experience, I suspect that such people are not that much happier than the rest of us - perfectionism is an awful cross to bear. (In fact, cult-ish UK critic Charlie Brooker wrote brilliantly on it once - how all the people he thought had achieved what he always wanted to, were in fact themselves plagued by the things they had not achieved, even in areas in which they had no expertise/training).
    Last edited by baboon2004; 22-04-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    @zhao - in terms of the success drive, have you spoken much (you may well have done) to people who have reached a certain pinnacle of their profession/interest area? From my experience, I suspect that such people are not that much happier than the rest of us - perfectionism is an awful cross to bear. (In fact, cult-ish UK critic Charlie Brooker wrote brilliantly on it once - how all the people he thought had achieved what he always wanted to, were in fact themselves plagued by the things they had not achieved, even in areas in which they had no expertise/training).
    "Drama of Gifted Child" talks about this: that as soon as effects of the drug of fame or money wears off, and like all drugs they always do, the addict becomes depressed and suffers from a loss of purpose and profound feeling of emptiness... not that i'm all that successful (yet!) but i experience a bit of this regularly...

"Drama of Gifted Child" talks about this: that as soon as effects of the drug of fame or money wears off, and like all drugs they always do, the addict becomes depressed and suffers from a loss of purpose and profound feeling of emptiness... not that i'm all that successful (yet!) but i experience a bit of this regularly...

which I suppose is why lots of artists repeat the mantra that (can't think of a less corny way to put it right now) it's all about the journey and not the result. There's no reason why fame would provide any more sustenance than the megabucks a, say, banker earns - ultimately most acclaim is transitory anyways.

and a lot of famous artists/stars do, in their less guarded moments, talk about trying to use fame to make up for some perceived/actual emotional deficit in earlier years. The 'centre of attention' thing is a less extreme version of the same drive.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 22-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.

depressing thread.
    i'll mention david foster wallace's Infinite Jest though.
    a book about addiction to drugs, sex, entertainment and all that fun stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by woops View Post
    depressing thread.
    i'll mention david foster wallace's Infinite Jest though.
    a book about addiction to drugs, sex, entertainment and all that fun stuff...
    don't think it's depressing at all! addiction itself is, but finding ways to cope with it certainly isn't...i look forward to a future addiction-free life courtesy of dissesnus wisdom.

will check out the wallace book.

heh, i was going to mention Infinite Jest too as i'm reading it at the moment, but i've already prattled on too much about it on the literature board and didn't want people to think i was obsessed... or addicted...

I am interested in a) the addiction to knowledge, and (closely related) b) the addiction to information. Maybe c) addiction to identity. Or d) addiction to power.

This text is good:

http://www.corpse.org/index.php?opti...id=15&Itemid=1

Also this:

http://www.kritike.org/journal/issue...cember2007.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by josef k. View Post
    I am interested in a) the addiction to knowledge
    I have this, but it's the one addiction (I think) that makes me happy.

Edit: except that time I read all of the Guardian's 'The Knowledge' football questions back issues. That was largely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by BareBones View Post
    heh, i was going to mention Infinite Jest too as i'm reading it at the moment, but i've already prattled on too much about it on the literature board and didn't want people to think i was obsessed... or addicted...
    didnt stop me