non-ipod mp3 players

mixed_biscuits

However, I want my mp3 player to be able to do certain things:

- work with Windows AND linux (specifically, ubuntu)
- not take over my hard-drive and corral all the media files I have (as the ipod seems to do)
- can accept files in a drag-and-drop style rather than using some protracted synchronisation process
- play files that have been ripped from cds but not subjected to any kind of rights management conversion

Any recommendations? :D

Client Eastwood

A Sansa Fuse will do all the above. Comes in 4,8,12 gig flash based memory and takes mini sd cards should you wish to expand. Great battery life too. I got the 8 gig and an 8 gig card.

Also has radio which is a bonus and a film and photo viewier which I havnt used. Its now one of those things that I always with me you know like wallet, keys and what have you.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
As far as I know, the iPod does all the things you've listed with the possible exception of not working with LINUX. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned.

Pestario

tell your friends
As far as I know, the iPod does all the things you've listed with the possible exception of not working with LINUX. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned.

yes, you just have to change a few settings and you can get drag-drop, drm free mp3s and what have you

Client Eastwood

Oh, one more thing about the Fuze, Sansa do reguar firmware updates improving things all the time. Thats one thing I dont think that Apple do do.

If you're looking for something with a higher capacity than the Sansa ones, Creative Zen Vision M comes in 30 & 60gb, and will do everything you've asked.

faustus

can some1 recommend an mp3 that plugs straight into usb (like a memory stick) and charges like that too?

dont care about storage, display etc. just want 1 with no wires

Client Eastwood

I know what you mean about wires. Why cant everything have standard/mini USB connections. (pointless but it does my head in).

Ive had one of these in the 2gb version. Really liked it until I accidently stood on it. Still works mind just cant see the screen. Im pretty sure you could pick one very cheaply nowadays if 2gb is suffice.

I had a similar model to this
plugs straight into the PC but uses a AAA battery for power. The shape seems more practical than a flat ipod- surely they break if you sneeze? On the other hand navigating through files isnt particularly convenient, and getting the battery cover open the first time is near impossible. I got the shop to change it for me though the second model was just as bad, you just have to persist very hard.

urbanite

subnoto
Have a look at the Cowon iAudio players, that's what I had before i got meself an iPod and was very happy with it. It did everything you want and works fine as a USB Mass Storage device. And if you're a bit of a Opensource person, then they do players which play OGG and Flac...

connect_icut

This thread is pretty stale, so I thought I'd revive it, see if any new shit had come to light. Basically, I'm looking for non-shit digital music player and I'm not having any luck. Here's what I'm after...

Essential requirements:
* Not made by Apple but works with Mac OS
* 1/4" headphone jack
* Plays AIFF
* Flexible file transfer (not just syncing)

Nice to have:
* Analogue volume control
* Nice loud pre-amp
* High-quality D/A convertor
* Not made in China
* No apps or other bullshit - I just want something for listening to music

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This thread is pretty stale, so I thought I'd revive it, see if any new shit had come to light. Basically, I'm looking for non-shit digital music player and I'm not having any luck. Here's what I'm after...

Essential requirements:
* Not made by Apple but works with Mac OS
* 1/4" headphone jack
* Plays AIFF
* Flexible file transfer (not just syncing)

Nice to have:
* Analogue volume control
* Nice loud pre-amp
* High-quality D/A convertor
* Not made in China
* No apps or other bullshit - I just want something for listening to music

I bought one of these a few years ago:

sony-walkman-s-series-press-rm-eng.jpg

which (I think) fits most of your specs. Non-Apple, standard stereo headphone jack, you can either sync or transfer files manually, dunno what the spec is on its DAC but it sounds pretty good. Volume control is digital but has 30 settings, there's no annoying jumps in volume from one setting to the next. Customizable equalizer, which is good because I wasn't too sold on any of the presets. Sony, so decent build quality goes without saying (I've dropped mine all over the place and it still works fine). 'Fraid I've peeled off the little that sticker that says where it was made.

The only annoying thing I have noticed is that very occasionally, files that have been on it a long time get slightly corrupted, so you get a fraction of a second of BZZZZ! in the middle of a tune, but of course you can just re-copy that track/album from your computer.

I'm not really an 'audiophile' so I dunno what AIFF is, but it does play a fair variety of file formats I think. Oh, and it's got an FM radio.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
1/4" jack is going to be hard, I think. I guess a mini jack plus an adaptor would be too unwieldy...

Otherwise, the Cowon things mentioned above are good. I've got the j3 and it's pretty solid.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh hang on, is a 1/4" jack the size that big DJ-style headphones use? The player I use just has an ordinary small one. I think people using massive headphones with a portable music player tend to look a bit silly but what do I know?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also I'm always a bit skeptical of the tiny pre-amp in a portable player having enough welly to power the relatively large speakers in a pair of large over-the-ear headphones, but I guess at least some players mush be powerful enough. I like the feel and sound of a good pair of small in-ear phones, ones that actually protrude into your ear a bit and have good bass.

connect_icut

Cheers for the advice.

Yeah, I don't think there is an MP3 player with a 1/4" jack.

The Cowons look good but apparently they don't play AIFF (the Apple version of Wav, basically but better than Wav because it holds tags).

I'm probably going to get The Hifiman HM-601:

http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=90

It fits most of my criteria. The reviews I've read basically say that all it does is play music and it does that better than anything else on the market, including the Cowons.

10-11-38742-218db485e372703510c4dd98d02529b7.jpg

you

bloody hell - the cowon x7 looks dope as....

I have a dumbass question - the DAC is the most important bit right - which DAC's do all these devices use? I cannae see.. Do any use a 32bit DAC? Or everything just a 24?