Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disco!

Quote Originally Posted by dominic View Post
    brilliant
    Yeah, that Stargard track is particularly great.

I'm feeling positively schooled already... nice to read something from dominic again! I'm also in the .01%... Not sure how I ended up here, really. A friend got me to sign up, said it was interesting, and it was...

oh! such a brit, with the need to so tightly categorize and delineate. i reckon 1/4 of my list above is non-american and therefore possibly italo? sorry!
    Well, it's more of a guideline than a rule...

That Gary's Gang track is my fave so far - I take it a million people have sampled that electric piano riff??

teena gardner, heartbeat. club mix is better tho.

I don't know if this is suitable, but the original is 10 minutes long and seems like the kind of thing gay black new yorkers would have danced to in the early 80's, so it gets my vote.

Steve Miller Band- Macho City

Most of my knowledge of disco comes from Salsoul records, which also happens to be the label that has reissued things more than anyone else, and has in turn been sampled more than anyone else. So I'm trying to pick tracks that arent blatantly obvious...

Instant Funk- I've got my mind made up (larry Levan re-edit)

I think one of the nice features of Larry Levan tunes is that they often have an element coming in out of time. Presumably they purposely spliced the reels wrongly to get this sound.

'Macho City' certainly counts, as does Yoko Ono's 'Walking on Thin Ice'.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    And if this works, we can go and do a Northern Soul/Motown/Stax thread, but let's see.
    I for one would be more than up for this if it came to it.
    Disco, though - love hearing a bit of it from time to time, but very far from being a fanboy, so I'm going to sit back and leach off others' knowledge for the time being.

"Now then, I know that 99.99% of Dissensians are doctrinaire junglists and 2-steppers (otherwise, why are you here?)"
    Not me.

This is good assuming it's early enough. The Flirts - Passion

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Not me.

This is good assuming it's early enough. The Flirts - Passion

marvellous - stinks of poppers, absolutley reeks.

"marvellous - stinks of poppers, absolutley reeks."
    I read once that Bobby O was very homophobic... but my brain refuses to accept that, it just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I read once that Bobby O was very homophobic... but my brain refuses to accept that, it just doesn't make any sense.
    he was in it for the money. a straight italian guy on the mass production tip, works in real estate now

here is an interview with him from 87'
    http://www.smack-dynamik.com/oartist_detail.php?ID=10

choice
    'bobby O’s history of working relationships reads like a Bel Air alimony lawyers’s casebook. One of his most successful associations ended understandably abruptly when he claimed he could "cure" the artist of his homosexuality, but men continue to be mesmerized by the electric vitality of this irresistible, impossible character. Women, too, are oddly tantalized by a man fixes his dark eyes to theirs over dinner, tells them just how he likes to make love, and what a great lover he is, and then kisses them goodnight on the cheek only to call at midnight to ask if they are naked.'
    Last edited by mms; 04-05-2009 at 06:10 PM.

My favourite disco tune by a mile these days

And for sheer nuttiness, nothing matches .

I'm not too keen on the funkier end of disco, perhaps cos I'll never forgive it for murdering soul music.

But is beyond great.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    My favourite disco tune by a mile these days

And for sheer nuttiness, nothing matches .

I'm not too keen on the funkier end of disco, perhaps cos I'll never forgive it for murdering soul music.

But is beyond great.
    yep that sylvester record is amazing, the weird insomniac early morning bird twitters in the background too, it's quite an amazing track, it sounds exhausted doesn't it?
    woebot played me that, i had the instrumental which is on the b side of feel mighty real but this is the one.

the jones girls track i really like is nights over egypt, produced by dexter wansell isn't it

this is getting more in to rare groove now but this one
    life on mars is pretty stunning

sampled on this track of course musto and bones

rare groove was jazz funks revenge on disco, much tougher more 4 4 but more 'musical'

there are a bunch of singles on that same label as the harry thurman which all have that cross over mental heavy sound design electronics and strings, that really is an amazing very avant side of disco, i need to find alot more stuff like that, i think, thats the side that really gets me very excited.
    Last edited by mms; 04-05-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    the jones girls track i really like is nights over egypt, produced by dexter wansell isn't it
    Nights was always the big JG classic, the one that commanded the big money and got stuck on comps. But I prefer that one, i'm just a sucker for basslines.

Talking of jazz-funk, not that it is particularly , sometimes this is absolutely my favourite track ever. And I still don't own the damn thing.

edit: Hmm, this is a slightly different mix from the one I have on tape. I don't spose there's a 12" of this title track anywhere....?

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    there are a bunch of singles on that same label as the harry thurman which all have that cross over mental heavy sound design electronics and strings, that really is an amazing very avant side of disco, i need to find alot more stuff like that, i think, thats the side that really gets me very excited.
    I await the mixtape!