Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disco!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    I await the mixtape!
    well thats the problem, there are very few records out there that are like this, i can only think of about 4 or 5, but then i can't really say i've done a huge investigation, cos it's so bloody difficult to find the things it's kind of serendipidous, but i'm really suprised that combination hasn't been explored or revisited as it's so much more exciting and interesting and has so much more potential than say italo or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    well thats the problem, there are very few records out there that are like this, i can only think of about 4 or 5, but then i can't really say i've done a huge investigation, cos it's so bloody difficult to find the things it's kind of serendipidous, but i'm really suprised that combination hasn't been explored or revisited as it's so much more exciting and interesting and has so much more potential than say italo or something.
    Yeah, I don't get the Italo thing at all. Space disco is cool, but Italo just seems kitsch and ironic (although I know people whose love for it is apparently very sincere).

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Yeah, I don't get the Italo thing at all. Space disco is cool, but Italo just seems kitsch and ironic (although I know people whose love for it is apparently very sincere).
    some of it is amazing no doubt, alot of it isn't, i've kinda gone into this b4 on here, its part of the 'electroclash continnum' more than anything else imho.

"he was in it for the money. a straight italian guy on the mass production tip, works in real estate now

here is an interview with him from 87'
    http://www.smack-dynamik.com/oartist_detail.php?ID=10"
    Nice one, good stuff.

There's a lot of Italo thats a direct predecessor to both early House and Techno.

Compare something like Charlie's Spacer Woman.

To Cybotron.

Or to Jamie Principle.

I think thats what got people interested in creating this ""Italo as revivalist scene" even though it was by and large very commercial and cheesy music.

Quote Originally Posted by scarboi View Post
    There's a lot of Italo thats a direct predecessor to both early House and Techno.

Compare something like Charlie's Spacer Woman.

To Cybotron.

Or to Jamie Principle.

I think thats what got people interested in creating this ""Italo as revivalist scene" even though it was by and large very commercial and cheesy music.
    yes of course, and alot of it was played in chicago too, as a revivalist scene i think it comes more from electroclash, which in itself was a bit of a revival of a type of sound and attitude.

Yeah, electroclash was hugely indebted to early High NRG like Bobby O or Patrick Cowley.

Felix Da Housecat used some pretty large Bobby O samples in his beats for one example.

Edit: This one being one of the more obvious.

Sorry to derail thread into less organic sounding disco.
    Last edited by scarboi; 04-05-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Here's one of my favorite proto Italo tracks by way of restitution.

Tantra - Hills of Katmandu

Very big in early 80s NYC area clubs like the Funhouse.
    Last edited by scarboi; 05-05-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scarboi View Post
    Here's one of my favorites proto Italo tracks by way of restitution.

Tantra - Hills of Katmandu

Very big in early 80s NYC area clubs like the Funhouse.
    yes - gorgeous.
    i'm going to put that on now.

More Tantra....

Tantra - Top Shot

-----------------------------------------------------
    broadcastingfromhome

keeping thread alive....

began began- computer wars

Default Disconaut

Some great tracks on this thread. As part of the Association of Autonomous Astronauts, I used to sometimes DJ as Neil Disconaut playing mainly space-themed disco and funk, but there were a couple of tracks mentioned earlier which I didn't pick up on (e.g. thanks to whoever linked to that Spacer Woman Italo-disco classic)

There's loads of Earth Wind and Fire and George Clinton spacey stuff, here's a few disco classics:

Crown Heights Affair - Galaxy of Love

Slick - Space Base

Atmosfear - Dancing in Outer Space

Any more space-themed disco? Quite a few have already been mentioned on this thread, including:

asha puthli- space talk

Cheryl Lynn - star love

cloud one- spaced out

Sharon Bailey - Cosmic Dust

Silver Convention - Mission To Venus

Dexter Wansel - LIfe on Mars

Charlie's Spacer Woman.

Neil
    History is Made at Night

hmmmmmmmmmmm spaced theme disco.......

wanda williams- mr UFO on TK.... (not on youtube...)

universal robot band- space disco

still, let's not dwell on spacey disco, b/c that is basically fetishizing records for being "pre-italo"........

chicago- street player remix (have this on vinyl on some great old school bootleg...

machine - there but for the grace of god go i (the uk version seems to be longer, this is the US i have on 12")

MMS if you're into rare groove/jazz funk I'm assuming you're familiar with Weather Report?

Have you heard any of their bassist's albums?

Alphonso Johnson's Moonshadow is steadily becoming a favorite of mine. Its a shame that the PC I use to rip vinyl is currently out of commission.

I'm still trying to find a streaming version of the best track, Stump.

Last edited by scarboi; 05-05-2009 at 08:35 AM.

And if we're really going to talk about Disco, we need to talk about Philly Soul too.

I'm talking Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, McFadden and Whitehead, MFSB, Gamble and Huff, and Teddy Pendergrass.

Not to mention LA based but still Philly sounding Barry White and his Love Unlimited Orchestra.

Don't get me started.
    Last edited by scarboi; 05-05-2009 at 08:46 AM.