Disco!

Transpontine

history is made at night
Disconaut

Some great tracks on this thread. As part of the Association of Autonomous Astronauts, I used to sometimes DJ as Neil Disconaut playing mainly space-themed disco and funk, but there were a couple of tracks mentioned earlier which I didn't pick up on (e.g. thanks to whoever linked to that Spacer Woman Italo-disco classic)

There's loads of Earth Wind and Fire and George Clinton spacey stuff, here's a few disco classics:

Crown Heights Affair - Galaxy of Love

Slick - Space Base

Atmosfear - Dancing in Outer Space

Any more space-themed disco? Quite a few have already been mentioned on this thread, including:

asha puthli- space talk

Cheryl Lynn - star love

cloud one- spaced out

Sharon Bailey - Cosmic Dust
Silver Convention - Mission To Venus
Dexter Wansel - LIfe on Mars

Charlie's Spacer Woman.
Neil
History is Made at Night

petergunn

plywood violin
hmmmmmmmmmmm spaced theme disco.......

wanda williams- mr UFO on TK.... (not on youtube...)

universal robot band- space disco

still, let's not dwell on spacey disco, b/c that is basically fetishizing records for being "pre-italo"........

chicago- street player remix (have this on vinyl on some great old school bootleg...

machine - there but for the grace of god go i (the uk version seems to be longer, this is the US i have on 12")

echevarian

babylon sister

MMS if you're into rare groove/jazz funk I'm assuming you're familiar with Weather Report?

Have you heard any of their bassist's albums?

Alphonso Johnson's Moonshadow is steadily becoming a favorite of mine. Its a shame that the PC I use to rip vinyl is currently out of commission.

I'm still trying to find a streaming version of the best track, Stump.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
And if we're really going to talk about Disco, we need to talk about Philly Soul too.

I'm talking Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, McFadden and Whitehead, MFSB, Gamble and Huff, and Teddy Pendergrass.

Not to mention LA based but still Philly sounding Barry White and his Love Unlimited Orchestra.

Don't get me started.

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
sampled on this track of course musto and bones

that is pal joey, not frankie bones

for frankie bones, compare this with this =

Looney Tunes -- Just as Long as I Got You

Love Committee - Just as Long as I Got You

which reminds me of this fabulous 808 state sampler track ------------>

808 State -- Ancodia

Thelma Houston - You Used To Hold Me So Tight

((((Ancodia also samples this, but not nearly as nice = Unique -- What I Got Is What You Need
))))

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Looney Tunes -- Just as Long as I Got You

Love Committee - Just as Long as I Got You
"
Love these, was going to suggest the second (it's a bit of a stretch to call the Loony Tunes take disco) yesterday but I got distracted.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some Patrick Adams stuff mentioned but not the one that goes "I'm a Big Freak Are You One Too?" can't remember what it's called or immediately find my copy it seems. Doesn't seem to be on youtube which might explain why I guess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Turns out it's called I'm A Big Freak (R U 1 2).
Also, I'm not sure if this is exactly disco (though if not what is it?) but it's great

dominic

Beast of Burden
More disco, quite canonical . . . .

First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder

Lamont Dozier - Going Back To My Roots

Don Ray - Standing In The Rain

Eddy Grant -- Time Warp

Skatt Brothers – Walk the Night

Eddie Kendricks – Going Up in Smoke

Fun Fun - Happy station

Dan Hartman - Vertigo

Andwella – Hold on to Your Mind

Brother To Brother - Chance With You

Touch & Go -- Ecstasy, Passion & Pain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBH8z0CEZ4

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Let's Start The Dance - Hamilton Bohannon...rock the house...

'And love is just a passing word...it's the thought you had in the taxi cab that got left on the kerb'...NYC disco poetry and one of my all-time faves...

'Got myself together...ye-ah'...early extended groove classic and a monster on the scene - here's an edit, best for Soul Train dancer junkies:

This deserves better sound but it appears to be the only one available - too good to ignore - it's outtah sight - essential War:

'I'm looking for the party people'...Fatback bass line bump special:

'You've only got one life so live it cool'...T-Connection's masterpiece that ruled the floors...timbales to the fore...

Christ, I could be here all morning - great thread for this one-percenter. The change was subtle, from Funk to Disco...up the tempo, load on the strings...and f*ck those who thought it all started with Sat Night Fever.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Heh-heh...not so sure about that.

I recall 'Disco Sucks' and the rage against it all by Rock fans but as former funkateers who also got into Punk it was just part of the progression for those of us who have always loved dancing to black music (and the Average White Band). There was also a Funk/Punk connection with some of the clothes...hence Rotten wearing a mohair jumper was no surprise...plastic sandals anyone? ;). The Soul Boys in my area also took to beating up Punks so there was a triangle of hate going on...with me in the middle...:slanted:

dominic

Beast of Burden
Dinosaur, 'Kiss Me Again':

possibly his best pure dance track

or maybe one of these

Lola -- Wax the Van

Loose Joints -- Shoot The Pump
not on youtube!!!

and too obvious to mention, Loose Joints - Is It All Over My Face

dominic

Beast of Burden
Another fabulous disco record, but not on discogs or youtube, is . . . .

Charmaigne -- Whoosh! What a Rush