Disco!

four_five_one

Infinition
More Russell -- Felix - Tiger Stripes:
Just got the excellent "World Of Arthur Russell" in the post today, which is finally back in stock at Soul Jazz...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
This is a nice mix

The Trocadero was the US west coast’s most important dance club of the disco era and was one of a small pantheon of truly taste making venues around the country that included such luminaries as Paradise Garage, The Saint and The Trocadero’s sister club in New York, 12 West. I ride past what was the Trocadero every day, now a restaurant/bar called the Glas Kat on San Francisco’s 4th Street, on my way to the Caltrain station to take me south into silicon valley.

This mix was taken direct from the sound board of the Trocadero one night in 1980, recorded directly to quarter inch tape, it is a rare, high fidelity piece of history and indicative of the Trocadero sound a few years before high nrg diluted the format, the selection is underground and soulful but to me seems slightly more electronic for its time than mixes and snippets you hear from contemporary clubs of the era on the east coast.

There is a mystery attached to this mix though, the old veteran in San Francisco’s Castro who passed it on to me did not know who the DJ was that night, so I can’t give the correct credit to whomever executed it, but the resident DJ at the time would have been the venerable Bobby Viteritti so indicators would point to him, still it could still have been any one of a handful of well known DJ’s that passed through the booth to play on that famous sound system.

http://beatelectric.blogspot.com/2007/11/trocadero-live-mix-1980-full.html

Change – The End
Sabu – We’re Gonna Rock
Erotic Drum Band – Touch Me Where It’s Hot
Ann Margret – Midnight Message
Wardell Piper – Super Sweet
The Ritchie Family – Quiet Village
Dive Grey & The Oyster Band – Hotel Paradise
Cerrone – Call Me Tonight
Erotic Drum Band – Pop Pop Shoo Wah
Theo Vaness – No Romance Just Wanna Dance
Theo Vaness – Sentimentally It’s You
Persia – Inch By Inch
Vera – Take Me To The Bridge
Don Ray – Got To Have Lovin
Sylvia Love – Instant Love
Lust - Rinder & Lewis

powerpill

This is a nice mix

http://beatelectric.blogspot.com/2007/11/trocadero-live-mix-1980-full.html

Change – The End
Sabu – We’re Gonna Rock
Erotic Drum Band – Touch Me Where It’s Hot
Ann Margret – Midnight Message
Wardell Piper – Super Sweet
The Ritchie Family – Quiet Village
Dive Grey & The Oyster Band – Hotel Paradise
Cerrone – Call Me Tonight
Erotic Drum Band – Pop Pop Shoo Wah
Theo Vaness – No Romance Just Wanna Dance
Theo Vaness – Sentimentally It’s You
Persia – Inch By Inch
Vera – Take Me To The Bridge
Don Ray – Got To Have Lovin
Sylvia Love – Instant Love
Lust - Rinder & Lewis

thanks for linking that.

craner

Beast of Burden
I always wondered what happened to this thread. I like the way I mixed together Jackie Moore, PiL, Riz Ortolani and Guy Bourdin, but enough about me and my life...this was supposed to rival the 80s Soul thread, but it never really took off in quite the same way. Scaboi was/is one of my favorite niche posters on Dissensus, and took the Yacht Disco thread in an interesting Christopher Cross/jazz fusion/acid house direction (I think, or did I dream that?)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The No Italo thing was, in the words of Peter Venkman, more of guideline than a rule.

So staying within the rules, an extremely obvious choice but I've been obsessed by this (it's a cover of an original Italo track) since discovering it a few months back, and couldn't find anywhere relevant to post it here*. Absolutely perfect 80s video too. Completely passed me in the 80s, was before I started listening to the charts:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jRzIDvb7QPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

* Ah, now I find that there is an Italo thread. ah well.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that's brilliant, pity the interview seems to have gone

he was in it for the money. a straight italian guy on the mass production tip, works in real estate now

here is an interview with him from 87'
http://www.smack-dynamik.com/oartist_detail.php?ID=10

choice
'bobby O’s history of working relationships reads like a Bel Air alimony lawyers’s casebook. One of his most successful associations ended understandably abruptly when he claimed he could "cure" the artist of his homosexuality, but men continue to be mesmerized by the electric vitality of this irresistible, impossible character. Women, too, are oddly tantalized by a man fixes his dark eyes to theirs over dinner, tells them just how he likes to make love, and what a great lover he is, and then kisses them goodnight on the cheek only to call at midnight to ask if they are naked.'

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
So staying within the rules, an extremely obvious choice but I've been obsessed by this (it's a cover of an original Italo track) since discovering it a few months back, and couldn't find anywhere relevant to post it here*. Absolutely perfect 80s video too. Completely passed me in the 80s, was before I started listening to the charts:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jRzIDvb7QPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

* Ah, now I find that there is an Italo thread. ah well.

Video by William Friedkin, fact fans!