Disco!

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
And if this works, we can go and do a Northern Soul/Motown/Stax thread, but let's see.

I for one would be more than up for this if it came to it.
Disco, though - love hearing a bit of it from time to time, but very far from being a fanboy, so I'm going to sit back and leach off others' knowledge for the time being.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Now then, I know that 99.99% of Dissensians are doctrinaire junglists and 2-steppers (otherwise, why are you here?)"
Not me.

This is good assuming it's early enough. The Flirts - Passion

mms

sometimes
I read once that Bobby O was very homophobic... but my brain refuses to accept that, it just doesn't make any sense.

he was in it for the money. a straight italian guy on the mass production tip, works in real estate now

here is an interview with him from 87'
http://www.smack-dynamik.com/oartist_detail.php?ID=10

choice
'bobby O’s history of working relationships reads like a Bel Air alimony lawyers’s casebook. One of his most successful associations ended understandably abruptly when he claimed he could "cure" the artist of his homosexuality, but men continue to be mesmerized by the electric vitality of this irresistible, impossible character. Women, too, are oddly tantalized by a man fixes his dark eyes to theirs over dinner, tells them just how he likes to make love, and what a great lover he is, and then kisses them goodnight on the cheek only to call at midnight to ask if they are naked.'

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
My favourite disco tune by a mile these days

Sylvester - I NEED SOMEBODY TO LOVE TONIGHT

And for sheer nuttiness, nothing matches Harry.

I'm not too keen on the funkier end of disco, perhaps cos I'll never forgive it for murdering soul music.

But this Jones Girls tune is beyond great.

yep that sylvester record is amazing, the weird insomniac early morning bird twitters in the background too, it's quite an amazing track, it sounds exhausted doesn't it?
woebot played me that, i had the instrumental which is on the b side of feel mighty real but this is the one.

the jones girls track i really like is nights over egypt, produced by dexter wansell isn't it

this is getting more in to rare groove now but this one
life on mars is pretty stunning

sampled on this track of course musto and bones

rare groove was jazz funks revenge on disco, much tougher more 4 4 but more 'musical'

there are a bunch of singles on that same label as the harry thurman which all have that cross over mental heavy sound design electronics and strings, that really is an amazing very avant side of disco, i need to find alot more stuff like that, i think, thats the side that really gets me very excited.

Last edited:

crackerjack

the jones girls track i really like is nights over egypt, produced by dexter wansell isn't it

Nights was always the big JG classic, the one that commanded the big money and got stuck on comps. But I prefer that one, i'm just a sucker for basslines.

Talking of jazz-funk, not that it is particularly :confused:, sometimes this is absolutely my favourite track ever. And I still don't own the damn thing.

edit: Hmm, this is a slightly different mix from the one I have on tape. I don't spose there's a 12" of this title track anywhere....?

crackerjack

there are a bunch of singles on that same label as the harry thurman which all have that cross over mental heavy sound design electronics and strings, that really is an amazing very avant side of disco, i need to find alot more stuff like that, i think, thats the side that really gets me very excited.

I await the mixtape!

mms

sometimes
I await the mixtape!

well thats the problem, there are very few records out there that are like this, i can only think of about 4 or 5, but then i can't really say i've done a huge investigation, cos it's so bloody difficult to find the things it's kind of serendipidous, but i'm really suprised that combination hasn't been explored or revisited as it's so much more exciting and interesting and has so much more potential than say italo or something.

crackerjack

well thats the problem, there are very few records out there that are like this, i can only think of about 4 or 5, but then i can't really say i've done a huge investigation, cos it's so bloody difficult to find the things it's kind of serendipidous, but i'm really suprised that combination hasn't been explored or revisited as it's so much more exciting and interesting and has so much more potential than say italo or something.

Yeah, I don't get the Italo thing at all. Space disco is cool, but Italo just seems kitsch and ironic (although I know people whose love for it is apparently very sincere).

mms

sometimes
Yeah, I don't get the Italo thing at all. Space disco is cool, but Italo just seems kitsch and ironic (although I know people whose love for it is apparently very sincere).

some of it is amazing no doubt, alot of it isn't, i've kinda gone into this b4 on here, its part of the 'electroclash continnum' more than anything else imho.

mms

sometimes
There's a lot of Italo thats a direct predecessor to both early House and Techno.

Compare something like Charlie's Spacer Woman.

To Cybotron.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOBUqCIXXWY

Or to Jamie Principle.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kup0BdoLzbg

I think thats what got people interested in creating this ""Italo as revivalist scene" even though it was by and large very commercial and cheesy music.

yes of course, and alot of it was played in chicago too, as a revivalist scene i think it comes more from electroclash, which in itself was a bit of a revival of a type of sound and attitude.

echevarian

babylon sister
Yeah, electroclash was hugely indebted to early High NRG like Bobby O or Patrick Cowley.

Felix Da Housecat used some pretty large Bobby O samples in his beats for one example.

Edit: This one being one of the more obvious.

Sorry to derail thread into less organic sounding disco.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
Here's one of my favorite proto Italo tracks by way of restitution.

Tantra - Hills of Katmandu

Very big in early 80s NYC area clubs like the Funhouse.

Last edited: