Disco!

firefinga

In 1976 there even was a King Kong movie released (with one of the Bridges' boys, can't remember which one now) , and the Theme song happens to be quite a good mid 70s disco piece:

Love Unlimited Orchestra - Theme From King Kong

firefinga

The next entry is somewhat different - a percussive almost "cosmic" sounding track by an outfit named Ozo "Anambra" also from 1976

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
keep em comin'!!

this one sits somewhere between jazz funk & disco. have tried to play it out a few times but it never quite gets the response i hope for.

not sure why, that b-line is relentless!

firefinga

Here is a more obscure one (I guess) Ganymed "It Takes Me Higher" from 1978, this outfit used to go on stage with odd alien masks and costumes. Song is a bit cheesy, but cheese was an integral part of Disco.

IdleRich

IdleRich
more '76 material A Disco version of Lalo Shifrin's "Jaws"
That whole lp is pretty good. I think his version of Quiet Village is the stand-out, or is it the title track I forget... Do you call that disco though? To my mind it's funk if these distinctions matter at all.

IdleRich

IdleRich
More from 1976: Rockets "Future Woman" - Rockets were also French.
I got an lp by them as well, can't remember if that tune is on it, the first track is a decent disco stab at On The Road Again.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm obviously really late to read this thread... but that Bohannon one someone posted, I don't know that much about him to be honest but I always liked the repetitive groove of this tune

It's so similar to the one above but (possibly cos I know it better) I slightly prefer it. Maybe the vocal is better.

firefinga

That whole lp is pretty good. I think his version of Quiet Village is the stand-out, or is it the title track I forget... Do you call that disco though? To my mind it's funk if these distinctions matter at all.

Yeah I'd call it Disco, it is faster than Funk usually is and has this "groove" going on throuhgout the whole track. But yeah, blurry lines where funk ends and disco starts.

Last edited:

firefinga

I also love Disco bc of some of the gimmick-y stuff this genre produced - one prime example:

Hot Blood - Soul Dracula

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

No music makes me wish I was with friends dancing, dabbing MDMA and swigging from a bottle of lemonade and vodka at a festival more than disco.

Ironic, really, cos I never get to hear disco at festivals