Good tunes by "bad" artists

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, but you have to explain why! I think if this thread is going to be really good, we should justify out choices with purple prose, like Marcello would.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a great song I heard by David Gray - no, wait just a sec! - on a CD from the front of Mojo or something that I pinched from the pub I used to work at years ago (OK, anecdote ramble is STOP) that has this incredibly affecting theremin part on it. It goes on top of an otherwise totally humdrum acoustic guitar to produce a really atmospheric, wistful feel that puts me in mind of what you might call the Weird West...the endless desert and scrubland of Arizona and New Mexico where there are burial grounds of forgotten people, and small towns and trailer parks whose inhabitants drink moonshine and talk of strange lights in the night sky. A vibe not dissimilar to the Meat Puppets, in fact.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. But it's a good song (at least, for the bits when he isn't singing).

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Andy has already mentioned another OCS song but i've always had a soft spot for another of their signature tunes, 'The Day We Caught the Train'.

i suspect if i was singing for my supper on this one i'd have to do a lot of pleading, and even then not make the cut: the Weller worshipping revivalists are just the sort of thing scorned by Dissensians, and this song exemplifies their whole MO, TBH, really, there's no curve-ball in there, it's entirely what you'd expect, straight up and down, say Reynolds and his whole comforting fog of 'singing in the bath' assessment in UNCUT (not directed at OCS specifically but it might as well have been).

however, i just like the lyric about Jimmy off to catch his locomotive and it sort of blooms from there for me, it's damn satisfying, i suppose.

YT

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i think i might have used too many CAPS above.

i like the sound of Tea's theremin there, David Gray's from where i am, there's six degrees in action for you, i wonder if he's ever gigged at an Oscar after-show where Nadine Labaki was?

i can almost feel it.

i may get slaughtered for this, but - Hanging Tough, NKOTB

YT

all the components are there, it's a nutritious meal (but not in a Gillian McKeith-stroke-Observer Food Monthly yummy mummy overbearing way) and you really need that video if you're going to take them half-seriously

craner

Beast of Burden
The first month I lived in London I bumped into David Gray in the offie across the road in Tufnell Park. He was buying booze. So was I. That's it. That's my whole David Gray story. His songs are shit.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Part of me really doesn't want to say this, but:
Carly Simon - You're So Vain

All about the chord sequence, innit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like to pretend that song is actually You're So Veiny, and secretly dedicated to Iggy Pop.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I dunno man, every other Carly song I've heard (and admittedly, about half of them must have come via the yacht-disco thread!) really has been irritating MOR nonsense, imho. But YSV just has a certain something about it. I feel I could love it more unquestioningly if it had entirely different lyrics, though.

Edit: watching your Youtube link right now, and would have to say that even this one I'm not feeling all that much. Too slow!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Gray song I was on about is apparently called We're Not Right. The theremin/vocal ratio is unfortunately rather low. :eek:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
All about the chord sequence, innit.

Actually, listening to it again ( now I have an excuse!) that's not fair. The chord progression is what grabs me the most, but the arrangement, instrument choice, production are all spot on too. It's really the perfect 4-minute radio song - except for the lyrics! Hahaha.

slye

Allied Heights
That Fred Durst thread made me think of this one:

Limp Bizkit - N 2 gether Now

Admittedly this is mostly due to the presence of Method Man and the Liquid Swords-esqe beat... damn Method Man is cool... but even Fred Durst manages to be more bearable than usual.