Good tunes by "bad" artists

IdleRich

IdleRich
Was Dog a Doughnut is the kind of tip I'm after.

Crackerjack - the Gary Glitter one, was that made under a different name and got spins on the northern scene? Or am I thinking of something else? Tony Blackburn certainly did one that got plays.

Craner - you're banned from this thread. Even though I like I Touch Myself.

crackerjack

Crackerjack - the Gary Glitter one, was that made under a different name and got spins on the northern scene? Or am I thinking of something else? Tony Blackburn certainly did one that got plays.

Yeah, it was Paul raven wasn't it? Although for some reason I have Paul Gadd swimming round my head, figuratively, obv.

STN

sou'wester
oh, there's some dido one that sounds like a creepy window into the needy mind of an abusive husband and is rendered even more sinister by it's family-pop stylings.

Eek!

STN

sou'wester
and there's a song by The Coral or The Music or some other boring northerners in Dickensian Urchin hats, it's got a lyric about being 'in my lonely room' and it has an elasticy bassline and sounds like Northern Soul filtered thru indie (which I daresay is what all those groups claim they're aiming for).

Also Sherriff Fatman, by Carter USM.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
and there's a song by The Coral or The Music or some other boring northerners in Dickensian Urchin hats, it's got a lyric about being 'in my lonely room' and it has an elasticy bassline and sounds like Northern Soul filtered thru indie (which I daresay is what all those groups claim they're aiming for).

Also Sherriff Fatman, by Carter USM.

The Coral - Dreaming Of You. Almost ruined for me a few years back by its student disco ubiquity, but def a good song.
As for Dido, White Flag has a great intro and first verse, but then goes right down hill.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the danger for artists on this thread;)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the danger for artists on this thread;)

lol.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Cat Stevens has a number of very good complete albums. Stating he has a lone good song is almost criminal"
Yeah, that's what held me back from mentioning the song. That one is different from his other stuff though which is why I'm going to allow it.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Yeah, that's what held me back from mentioning the song. That one is different from his other stuff though which is why I'm going to allow it.

NO! Don't be moving the goalposts Rich! If it was by Yosef (or whatever the smug cnut is called now), maybe, but as Cat he has a body of Good Work.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
the first few sugarbabes singles are great
overload is exceptional - but for some probably stalinist reasons it's taken off youtube

Was overload the very first one? I liked that a lot, but discounted it because it was basically a solo record for the pale girl who got bullied out.

Not the artist video, obv:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OK, i retract Sugababes

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"NO! Don't be moving the goalposts Rich! If it was by Yosef (or whatever the smug cnut is called now), maybe, but as Cat he has a body of Good Work."
Wait a minute, wasn't one of them called Matt B and Son?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Soneone was mentioning some good Ralph McTell tracks on that other board, Rich. There's also the psych LP by The Osmonds (Crazy Horses), Paul Nichols "Lamplighter" (you've got that ain't ya?), various Northern soul sides by David Essex and various other naff singers - and I'm sure loads more which I can't remember. Oh, and The Bee Gees. I haven't heard much of their earlier stuff but it's all soft-psych killers apparently.