Good tunes by "bad" artists

slye

Allied Heights
Blur were a great band. Yeah, I said it.

Yeah I'll second that. There were tons of great Blur songs. Growing up in California, I didn't pick up on the whole "you oughta hate blur and britpop" thing until much later. You could be into house, techno, jungle and still keep tabs on all that stuff as well. Plus there was the whole britpop-dance crossing over in the 90s that was nice as well.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Actually, my greatest moment was on the 'Erotic Album Covers' thread. Nobody came close to my knowledge on that one.

I could probably do a 100 Greatest Erotic Album Covers list that would out fox Ingram.

craner

Beast of Burden
I recently discovered that Belinda only stopped binging on cocaine, booze and fags in 2005.

I've been in love with her since I was 12, so I was quite shocked by that.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think my favorite Blur song is 'Blue Jeans' but I also have a soft spot for 'Young and Lovely'.

firefinga

Good bump.

during my teenage decade (which was the 1990s) the following guy was still being played on daytime radio/music television (what was that again?) - he had his most successful period in the 1980s of course but was still a somewhat known figure. Today, not so much any more.

One half-decent thing he has done:

firefinga

I never thought Peter Gabriel was total crap, I like "Sledge Hammer" (and a few bits more by him) but the following I think is really good:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I recently discovered that Belinda only stopped binging on cocaine, booze and fags in 2005.

I've been in love with her since I was 12, so I was quite shocked by that.

Belinda was my first celebrity crush too. Never quite went away. She was a massive addict tho, yep.

I recently saw a video on youtube of the time she appeared on graham norton's show and was treated with undisguised contempt by anne robinson. Disturbing viewing, made me feel viscerally angry, the only time i've felt anything at all watching the graham norton show, i imagine.

On this thread, surely Johnny Cash - Hurt is the answer. Even if he didn't write it, he made it totally and indisputably his own. All his other music is among the worst ever recorded.

Elastica did one good song, I think.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Good bump.

during my teenage decade (which was the 1990s) the following guy was still being played on daytime radio/music television (what was that again?) - he had his most successful period in the 1980s of course but was still a somewhat known figure. Today, not so much any more.

One half-decent thing he has done:

There is 'Easy Lover' which is a great song. Dave Stelfox loves The Phil. He would defend his entire works.

In fact the Stelfox Pro-Collins Rant is one of my favorites, alongside the Luka anti-Woody Allen, the Sean Shapiro anti-Lynch and the Craner anti-Contemporary Art. Oh, yeah, that one is mine, but I still enjoy it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Belinda is amazing, always was, always will be. Everyone knew she was a mad binger in early years. Rod Stewart was suitably alarmed to mention it in his memoirs. Who knew she was still doing solo cocaine and booze sessions in her 40s in anonymous hotel rooms, though? Not me.

craner

Beast of Burden
Belinda is worth one thousand Graham Nortons and one million Anne Robinsons, both of whom have never done one fucking thing in their lives that will ever come close to even licking the scabby salt off the toes of 'Heaven is a Place on Earth' let alone touching fingers with it. Fuck them.

entertainment

I became quite seduced by Oasis in my teen years. As a young and arrogant, football loving, danish anglophile, they ticked all the boxes, but I think what really resonated was what I (a bit naively) perceived as unabashed honesty and down-to-earth-ness. I remember that ethos being a powerful consolidation of the optimistic nihilism corruption I was nuturing at the time. Nowadays when the first few beers hit I still miss that feeling of being absolutely convinced that education and job and all that wouldn't really matter in the end. The music doesn't really mean shit to me anymore, though.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I became quite seduced by Oasis in my teen years. As a young and arrogant, football loving, danish anglophile, they ticked all the boxes, but I think what really resonated was what I (a bit naively) perceived as unabashed honesty and down-to-earth-ness. I remember that ethos being a powerful consolidation of the optimistic nihilism corruption I was nuturing at the time. Nowadays when the first few beers hit I still miss that feeling of being absolutely convinced that education and job and all that wouldn't really matter in the end. The music doesn't really mean shit to me anymore, though.

Much as Stelfox once said memorably (obviously) on here that "anyone who doesn't like Nandos is racist", I don't trust anyone who doesn't like Oasis.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Re: Oasis - that 'Supersonic' documentary is good. Confirms that despite both being complete arseholes, the Gallagher brothers are two of the most appealing personalities in the recent history of music