Negative Energy

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
FAR superior to the original:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
so what you are saying is that i need to relax, have fun, and not think about this stuff too much: because it's just entertainment.

i'm not entirely sure what we are discussing here, no i was merely point out how alot of other people might view it, darkness & negativity can simple be part of hedonism, there's about 50 thousand d'n'b records to prove this. It can be interpreted in many ways. It means different things in different cultures.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I too have big ? when watching this lot live.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
HU-MANOID! bew-bew-bew... :D

As one of the commenters says, the pixel art is much too cutesy - great track though:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
a little taste of christoph's new album... not as adrenaline pumping as the show... huge bass bins help.

I like this. Maybe as you suggested earlier it is the teenager in me, but I bet this would be reeeally reeeally good live. It reminds me of My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult or Skinny Puppy, but less cheesy.

Dark energy (I might not go so far as to call it negative--Bataille would've classed it under "sacred" not "profane", I would guess) in music I've always thought of as more powerful than fun energy...throbbing gristle, pyrolator, cabaret voltaire, ike yard and implog and those guys, a lot of hip-hop, etc.

Drone and ritualistic dark energy is really good.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Dark energy (I might not go so far as to call it negative--Bataille would've classed it under "sacred" not "profane", I would guess) in music I've always thought of as more powerful than fun energy...throbbing gristle, pyrolator, cabaret voltaire, ike yard and implog and those guys, a lot of hip-hop, etc.

Drone and ritualistic dark energy is really good.

I have a lot of time for fun energy too, but you're def on to something here.
I really liked those EBM tracks you posted on your blog btw, especially the first Liasons Dangerous track, very hypnotic.

nomadthethird

you need to have a beer when you go out man.

i don't know, i would have had the same thoughts zhao had about this whether i'd had 5 hits of acid or 15 beers or nothing...

i would add one category to zhao's tho:

sexual dysfunction, and I mean that in the best possible sense--a psycho-aesthetic reaction to a world of imagery nobody wants to see anymore, where violence often has a higher erotic register than sex does... i.e. ours

nomadthethird

I have a lot of time for fun energy too, but you're def on to something here.
I really liked those EBM tracks you posted on your blog btw, especially the first Liasons Dangerous track, very hypnotic.

Thnx... I know most people have probably heard those tracks by now but I love em--I was talking to someone the other day who was saying EBM is going into "revival" mode. Which is cool, but it's kinda saddening since sometimes when people revive things instead of just being inspired by them. Often the result is not so interesting.

Btw you're talking to a dead-serious Earth, Wind & Fire fan, so I'm not against fun at all...there's just something more visceral or intense about darker music for me...

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Can EBM really go into revival? It's basically existed as an unbroken continuum, although obviously completely uncool, since the mid-80s, with all manner of offshoots (most of which are terrible, but that's besides the point).
With regard to the dark/negative energy thing, I'm gonna refrain from talking about black metal, but y'know...

(Now playing: Hardfloor - Acperience. Forgot how fucking deranged this is)

nomadthethird

it can in Brooklyn, apparently

As far as the stuff that's been released throughout the 90s, not many people were paying attention were they? I'm sure it still counts but it's not what the revival is about.

Edit: what about black metal? i like the kind that has a really over-the-top visual aesthetic rather than the kind that is sort of serious and shoegazey, although i don't know much about the newest rash of bands...

Last edited:

poetix

we murder to dissect
Eternity opens. The cemetary...lights...up again.

Reading Stewart Home recently on Whitehouse and related phenomena (neo-Folk, BM, Current 93...). He thinks it's all occult Satanist crypto-Nazi power-worship. He has a point.

vimothy

yurp
Meh -- I'm not sure Mr Home would recognise a point if he sat on it.

On the other hand, "negative energy" -- how can you avoid discussion of black metal with a title like that?

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The difference between (a lot of) BM and Whitehouse is that rather than the "power" being identified with the artist's ego, it's often a far more detached view, of being overwhelmed by some (often ill-defined) darkness.
And, you know, beer and stolen Discharge riffs (and let no Nietzche-skimming teenagers tell you otherwise).

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
And (post-Swastikas for Noddy) C93 seems completely different to me, full of dread and grief over the "realities" of his worldview.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
A decent ammount of the stuff from the acid techno thread might be relevant here, Digeridoo in particular.
The more abstract discussion about different strains of negativity and different reasons why negativity might be appealing is interesting, btw, but I don't feel I can contribute much to it, so will just keep popping up to randomnly list things. :D

Last edited: