Negative Energy

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
sounds like a hell of a night, Zhao.

And, you know, beer and stolen Discharge riffs (and let no Nietzche-skimming teenagers tell you otherwise).

point of order - black metal doesn't mess with the D-beat so much as the blastbeat (tho of course you can find both) - so that should be more like stolen Napalm Death/Death/etc. riffs. e.g. Darkthrone were a death metal band first & so on.

tho yeah most of lyrics are bollocks of course - I mean a lot of the earlier stuff is like typical metal D&D, Lord of the Rings stuff just in that screechy black metal yelp. Bathory w/that whole Viking metal trilogy. I'm under the impression that all the Nietschze-lite, beyond good & evil business came in a bit later.

also speaking of negative energy...the name of the album is Dictius Te Necare (Kill Yourself in Latin) for crissakes...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

The difference between (a lot of) BM and Whitehouse is that rather than the "power" being identified with the artist's ego, it's often a far more detached view, of being overwhelmed by some (often ill-defined) darkness.

tho this I dunno about. I think a great deal of BM identifies w/the artist's ego.

either way this dude is the king of highly/overly intellectual examinations of the black metal psyche, full of critical theory & so on e.g. SR but moreso.

vimothy

yurp
Actually, there is a fair amount of d-beat humping nowadays black metal. Of course, the elders are spinning in their graves -- the ones who are still dead, at least. Except Quorthorn: Bathory was punk as fuck. Er, and Darkthrone. OK, so only the teenagers are spinning in their graves. The dead ones, that is.

Bethlehem are classic, BTW, though I'm not sure they're strictly BM.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's bizarre how industrial and its various offshoots kind of seamlessly merge into neo-folk, which you'd have thought would be the furthest you could possibly get from industrial.

Also, has anyone got any recommendations for modern or modern-ish industrial/EBM? I love loads of old 80s stuff of that ilk but have given up on it as far as recent music goes because I tend to associate the description with music that's somewhere between reeeally bad trance and reeeally bad metal. :confused:
Anything like this would be great: listen to 'Reprocessed', especially from 0.50 onwards - mmm, acid-y...

Edit: fixed link

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
"A Blaze in the Northern Sky" has riffs directly ripped from Discharge (and a few D-Beats), and when Nordic-style black metal started (i.e. Bathory) there was no Death or ND to influence, it was basically Venom, GBH and Discharge.

Interesting note: Fenriz from Darkthrone has a Plastikman tattoo.

vimothy

yurp
And neo-folk is just fucking wank -- po-faced miserabilst twats should get it over with and die already. I like the early stuff (which I wouldn't call neo-folk), but the whole Cold Spring distribution catalogue is tedious in the extreme.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not getting anything off that link. I'm into industrial, but I'm pretty specific in my tastes.

I've changed the link to a site that isn't made of fail.

I couldn't say I know any neo-folk, but what I've read of it makes the scene sound a bit like a bunch of grown adults who are still as into The Lord Of The Rings as I was when I was 11...

vimothy

yurp
On the contrary, we all sit around all day reading Bataille, drinking red wine and listening to Deathspell Omega.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I'm more about the Lautreamont, lighter fluid and Jandek...

And Neo-Folk, with very few exceptions (C93, Changes) is HILARIOUSLY bad and pretentious. How the fuck could Michael Moynihan think he's superior to ANYONE?

And I'm currently working on some BM with 303 basslines.

And why do I get such a perverse thrill from beginning sentences with "And"?

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
He thinks it's all occult Satanist crypto-Nazi power-worship. He has a point.

It is probably no coincidence that target demographic for metal (until recently) has been mostly blue collar Bible belt white men who are a couple of tattoos short of being skinheads. In the U.S., at least. The Scandinavian contingent has some far right tendencies, too, but for some reason it's less offensive coming from them...possibly because they're more on the fringe within their culture than the American types are.

I always read white-powertrip angst as something that comes with no longer being an emblem of authority/dominion--hence the regression into nationalism, homophobia, and racial "pride" and all of that. Wounded entitlement.

Always seemed to me that artists who deal with fascist imagery are acknowledging the simultaneous horror and aesthetic appeal of all of those ultraviolent 20th century political movements. There's nothing animals are more susceptible to than (so-called atavistic) mass hysteria.

Laibach are a funny post-modern symptom in this way--it's like, did that really happen? How could the positivists have been so wrong? Must be that power really is sublime.

Mr. Tea said:
It's bizarre how industrial and its various offshoots kind of seamlessly merge into neo-folk, which you'd have thought would be the furthest you could possibly get from industrial.

Maybe not when you consider how metal/industrial emerged out of psychedelia in the first place. Who are the neo-folk artists btw?? I can't think of who you mean.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Laibach are a funny post-modern symptom in this way--it's like, did that really happen? How could the positivists have been so wrong? Must be that power really is sublime.

I think the 'bach are meant to be one of those bands who use borderline Nazi imagery in an ironic, or supposedly thought-provoking (as opposed to just provocative) way. I gather the members themselves consider themselves far-left...and they're Slovenian too, I wonder if Zizek's a fan?

Maybe not when you consider how metal/industrial emerged out of psychedelia in the first place.

Well yeah, kiiinda...though TG and Neubauten are pretty far removed from Pentangle!

Who are the neo-folk artists btw?? I can't think of who you mean.

You're better off asking other people - I've heard of Death In June, Current 93 and Sol Invictus, is about the extent of my knowledge. You're into Coil, right? I think they might be associated with the scene to some degree.

padraig (u.s.)

Actually, there is a fair amount of d-beat humping nowadays black metal.

"A Blaze in the Northern Sky" has riffs directly ripped from Discharge (and a few D-Beats), and when Nordic-style black metal started (i.e. Bathory) there was no Death or ND to influence, it was basically Venom, GBH and Discharge.

point taken & that's all quite true esp. as regards the first 3 Bathory albums. didn't mean to imply they never use D-beats. just that it's very much more blastbeats & lo-fi ambience & all that tremolo picking business. like old Slayer is all D-beats albeit more complex & w/double bass. tho certainly BM very much shares, perhaps even outdoes, the punk ethos in terms of DIY or die, lo-fi, etc.

Interesting note: Fenriz from Darkthrone has a Plastikman tattoo.

Yeh Fenriz has always been an odd man out (in the best way). I reckon he's just a huge music nerd & genuine music lover. check out this interview where he discusses his love of house music (!!!).

"I started getting into techno in ‘92, all that Chicago house stuff." I reckon he's big Green Velvet fan.

Bethlehem are classic, BTW, though I'm not sure they're strictly BM.

well they call themselves "dark metal", FWTW. I think they line up tho pretty well w/something like, say, Thorns.

padraig (u.s.)

It is probably no coincidence that target demographic for metal (until recently) has been mostly blue collar Bible belt white men who are a couple of tattoos short of being skinheads. more susceptible to than (so-called atavistic) mass hysteria.

dunno if this is a fair reading of metalheads, mostly true as far as it goes but not the full picture. for one there's always been a countering leftist streak in metal (they are musicians after all) - Nuclear Assault, some Metallica (mostly Cliff Burton I guess tho also "One"), Megadeth - Peace Sells (which is specifically about that stereotype of metalheads), Anthrax & PE. plus a lot the more underground extreme stuff - death metal, black metal, etc. - is too scenesterish/elitist for that audience - fans are usually more urban/hipper/etc.