Richard Brautigan - any good?

martin

----
I've never read any of his stuff, but the plot to "The Abortion" sounds interesting and I'm considering buying it cheap online. Does anyone here recommend him? Or think I should save my money? etc

STN

sou'wester
I read a Confederate General at Big Sur and thought it was a whimsical pile of sixties shit. But then I was about 19 and what do I know at the best of times?

He's from my mum's hometown though, which has to count for something. Then again so was Ted Bundy.

What an equivocal and useless post this is, but on the other hand... etc etc

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
haven't read The Abortion but Trout Fishing in America is a must-read for americans. probably not of interest to non-freedom-lovers.

martin

----
I read a Confederate General at Big Sur and thought it was a whimsical pile of sixties shit. But then I was about 19 and what do I know at the best of times?

He's from my mum's hometown though, which has to count for something. Then again so was Ted Bundy.

What an equivocal and useless post this is, but on the other hand... etc etc

Hmm, well, I disagree with you a lot on music, but I think you're pretty accurate on most books, so I think I'll wait til I see it going ultra-cheap in a second hand store, rather than pay £2.75 Amazon Marketplace P&P

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
Compared to his other novels, the Abortion is much more stripped down and understated, just kind of quietly melancholic, whimsical and sometimes funny, but reading between the lines it's really a very emotional work...

(BTW his spoken word record in 1968 ends with a five-second track where he reads, 'Boo! Forever'... remembering how he ended his days, it's actually quite scary.