Chris Woodhead= Cnut

vimothy

yurp
Not the mere existence of exams, but their whole existence -- exams not as something understood in isolation, but as components in a circuit.

mixed_biscuits

which universities would get to decide? cambridge, loughborough or teesside?

I still don't see how it would be 'elitist' - I think this is a non-sequitur here. After all, the papers are almost certainly already written by experts, no?

I'm assuming that the universities would collaborate, as every one of them would receive former examinees.

It's not a new idea, by any means.

- A-Levels would be more closely connected to the next educational stage in the subject (helping to prevent Vimothy's 'you do A-Level Maths and then, once you get to Uni, you're taught Maths' problem)
- A-Levels would be less susceptible to dumbing down as a) the content is wholly determined by the experts in the field b) there is no longer a choice of papers (I'm assuming that there would no longer be different examining boards) of varying difficulty with, often enough, the easiest papers being chosen to improve results (no buyer's market for the schools any more) c) content less susceptible to change on governmental whim

Last edited: