how much MONEY do you make?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
True dat.

I get £28k a year, which is pretty nice, although the london factor means it vanishes a lot faster than I expected.

Why is asking people how much they earn such a social taboo? I mean, I can understand why talking constantly about who earns what is considered a bit boorish, but for a lot of people it seems to be something that you just do not ask. There've been a couple of threads on dubstepforum where someone asks what sort of money a top DJ gets for a set and from the resulting shitstorm you'd think they'd asked whether Skream still fucks farm animals.

sufi

lala
only the poor people answering! come on rich people, stop being coy.
ha £31K (incl LDN weighting), NJC Grade 6, less union dues and pension!!! :eek::mad::D
just had my formal application for a re-evaluation (pay rise) re-buffed, which i will appeal,
quite serious ngo work involved tho...

at the moment that's a very good standard of living, but the key to that is low rent, not high salary

Why is asking people how much they earn such a social taboo?
dunno, very british thing i think, i couldnt disclose without using smileys

D

droid

About €50,000 (before pension/union etc...) - down about 10% though this year due to government fuckbags cutting wages and raising taxes.

Doesn't go as far as you'd think with a mortgage, baby, rare vinyl habit to support. Also, Dublin is still one of the most expensive cities in the world.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Why is asking people how much they earn such a social taboo? I mean, I can understand why talking constantly about who earns what is considered a bit boorish, but for a lot of people it seems to be something that you just do not ask. There've been a couple of threads on dubstepforum where someone asks what sort of money a top DJ gets for a set and from the resulting shitstorm you'd think they'd asked whether Skream still fucks farm animals.

Because a lot of people are afraid/know that they're not worth it (not referring to people here of course, just in general), and that they'll get 'found out'.

Does Skream still fuck farm animals? I'm interested now.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
at the moment that's a very good standard of living, but the key to that is low rent, not high salary

i'm in a very simialr position. Low rent is indeed the key. I do get pissed off with people who spend £900 on rent and then complain about not having any money. Get over it already.

craner

Beast of Burden
Fair enough, I pay £550 incl bills & tax, and live in Vauxhall. Mind you, that swallows up half of my wage. I'm finding this thread very depressing.

swears

preppy-kei
Ha, I was just about to say this! "Well what do you want to know, then?" :)

I've been accepted for a post in operational research *touches wood* in the civil service, so my answer will hopefully soon be "some". Woohoo!

Which fork do I use for the soup course?

Congrats on the job, btw.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've been accepted for a post in operational research *touches wood* in the civil service, so my answer will hopefully soon be "some". Woohoo!
Oh, have they given you the "we want to give you a job and when we have an operations research post that would be a good fit for you we'll offer it to you" type offer thing? They seem to be about as good as a firm offer based on my sample size of one (GORS was the other offer I had.)

Good work! I expect to see you asking about bowler hats in the Clothes thread imminently...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, have they given you the "we want to give you a job and when we have an operations research post that would be a good fit for you we'll offer it to you" type offer thing? They seem to be about as good as a firm offer based on my sample size of one (GORS was the other offer I had.)

Good work! I expect to see you asking about bowler hats in the Clothes thread imminently...

Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

Yeah, that's more or less what they've said - so it could be almost immediately, could be a couple of months. But I'm still tutoring so I'm basically OK(ish) for cash at the moment...reeeaaally looking forward to a proper job, though.

zhao

there are no accidents
in London, I'd say £350-£500 a month, for somehere half-decent witin reach of central London, anyway.

holy shit. i had no idea this was possible. i thought it was much more expsensive than that, similar to NYC where a decent central flat would be at the very least 1000 USD.

Which fork do I use for the soup course?

you don't use any forks, but rather the large spoon.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
i don't need a lot but that would be really hard work. in fact, i think i would find it impossible. where do you live?

I still live at home so it's not so bad, and I'm up in Newcastle so you can have fun cheaper than you can down South. Still not ideal though.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Depends on how work's going that year - I'm self employed. I thought this year was going to be literally zero, but looking more like £20K now. Maybe a bit more. Usually 50-60K turnover, but off that comes corporation tax, personal tax, vast travel and hotels costs etc. My personal discretionary spending is very low - I haven't bought a record for a looong time. Though Benjy Bars did very well out of me for a few months!

Last edited: