how much MONEY do you make?

zhao

there are no accidents
i put up a paypal donations button on my myspace not too long ago and just got the first one: a jaw dropping 2 EUROS! woooohooooo! :D

Lichen

The incredible shrinking salary

Started this year on £60k
Volunteered to go to a 4-day week and £48k
Forced (yesterday) to a 3-day week and £36k

Pleased I drove a hard bargain when I took the job last year

I'm a copywriter at an agency in London.

zhao

there are no accidents
i used to sell drugs in university and highschool years... it was pretty good money for not so much work at all. but i did not want to go into that more seriously.

Leo

Why is asking people how much they earn such a social taboo?

i think a reason is the potential it has for making a personal relationship uncomfortable. it can change people's perception of an individual, not always in a good way.

let's say you have a friend, and subconsciously you both feel at pretty much the same level, at similar points in your lives, careers, levels of success, etc....but you then find out the other person makes more (much more, like three or four times more) than you do. despite our best intensions, that definitely has the potential to affect your relationship.

as 80s new wave band the brains once sang, "money changes everything."

viktorvaughn

holy shit. i had no idea this was possible. i thought it was much more expsensive than that, similar to NYC where a decent central flat would be at the very least 1000 USD.

Nah i live in zone1 in hoxton in ex council flat (nice, red brick and sturdy with a little shared garden) 10 mins walk from shoreditch (trendy bar/club area) and pay 325£ per month, 2 of us sharing a 1 bed flat so i live in the (big) sitting room. so there's no sitting room but all the rooms are big, bit of a bargain really!

gumdrops

at the moment, i 'make' 60 quid a week. i need to find work soon. but ive never earned loads. am wondering about some of the choices i made in my 20s as of late.

discussing money with friends/ppl you know isnt a great idea. i remember one girl i used to know who when i told her how much i earned, she was shocked (she was doing some big corporate job) and kinda rude actually, whether she intended to be or not. i dont speak to her now (though thats more to do with other reasons though not entirely unrelated to her lack of social grace) lol.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
This, and other things, is drawing me ever closer to starting a "Was University A Good Idea" thread.

Leo

This, and other things, is drawing me ever closer to starting a "Was University A Good Idea" thread.

in retrospect, i can safely say my college education has had little-to-no connnection to my career. however, i definitely would not have gotten my foot in the door at my first job without a college degree.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

D'you mean, was it a good idea for each of us, individually, to attend university? Or was it a good idea for a bunch of clerics to set up a glorified Bible study group in Oxford nine hundred years ago?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
in retrospect, i can safely say my college education has had little-to-no connnection to my career. however, i definitely would not have gotten my foot in the door at my first job without a college degree.

I left University thinking it was a waste of time and money, seeing that what I was studying wasn't particularly vocational (philosophy, see: useless), and because of the time involved.

My caution paid off: now I work a low-functioning government job where I waste all of my time staring into the void for 8 hours a day.

zhao

there are no accidents
fucking university was about 90% pointless for me. actually make that 200% -- still paying 300USD a month for those FUCKING loans :mad::mad::mad:

polystyle

Short Answer -these past few years , not nearly enough.
Between 28 -30K, down from 70 -50K when scoring TV but those days are ... gone far as I can tell.
They use 'needle drop' music now, wiping out a mid layer of makers who grafted into TV scoring work.
The money comes in just about as fast as it goes out now.
Clients bought by other companies,
Slightly hysterical swine flu fears making for job cancellations as we speak
( no fashion photo shoot on left coast for my wife's co. in June ).
Got to hustle that Pump Audio connection now ...
:slanted::cool::eek:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
fucking university was about 90% pointless for me. actually make that 200% -- still paying 300USD a month for those FUCKING loans :mad::mad::mad:

This is what scares me the most about returning. Although, I feel like if I don't go back, I will be paying off neverending psychic loans for the rest of my life.

zhao

there are no accidents
But surely this is where you got most of your punters for your first job?

nope. my first proper graphic design job was a year after i graduated, during which i took all sorts of sketch positions (like Henna Tatoo Artist) and taught myself the way of adobe and macromedia. i used to pretend to be a student to work in the computer labs at UCLA, before i could buy one, to make fake graphics for fake clients for my first portfolio, which is what got me that first job; and not a gram of what i learnt or people i met in my BFA was any help. in uni i learned to a degree the language with which art is talked about, and there was 1 prof which was seriously inspiring, that's about it.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's true, lying has a higher success rate than almost anything else. I'm not being sarcastic or anything. That wasn't a lie.

crackerjack

nope. my first proper graphic design job was a year after i graduated, during which i took all sorts of sketch positions (like Henna Tatoo Artist) and taught myself the way of adobe and macromedia. i used to pretend to be a student to work in the computer labs at UCLA, before i could buy one, to make fake graphics for fake clients for my first portfolio, which is what got me that first job; and not a gram of what i learnt or people i met in my BFA was any help. in uni i learned to a degree the language with which art is talked about, and there was 1 prof which was seriously inspiring, that's about it.

I was referring to this one

i used to sell drugs in university and highschool years... it was pretty good money for not so much work at all. but i did not want to go into that more seriously.