how much MONEY do you make?

Leo

As with many forms of fun, that use of money is escapism, to avoid having to look at one's life or be alone with oneself for even one second.

But yeah, security is one thing that moeny can buy. Some (a lot of) people just buy into that too much, and don't realise how much security they really need (way less than they think they do - when you earn more money, geenrally you just spend more of it on shit than before).

good point, i tend to overestimate the cushion of savings i need to be comfortable. then again, maybe i'm just cheap!:) more likely it's because my parents were children of the depression, always watched their pennies carefully, and it's filtered down to me.

one funny aspect of being thirfty is how you can sometimes dwell on incredibly small and unimportant purchases. more than once i've found myself standing in front of the supermarket shelf trying to determine if it's a better deal to get the 12 oz can of beans for 1.49 or the 20 oz can for 2.29...as if it matters! ridiculous.

crackerjack

they don't feel good. i speak as one who fortunately does not have a job to lose in the current crisis - in that i'm self-employed/freelance. all my mates with jobs at newspapers are bricking it or planning to retrain as teachers :(

to answer thread question title, i earned about 17k last year and survived living in london... i did it on 15k the year before.. you just need low overheads. saying that, if i don't get more editing work in soon i may have to get a real job again, which would be heartbreaking.

not much editing work around either, judging by this
http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/axegrinder/2009/05/28/daily-telegraph-reporter-asks-killer-question/

and this sums up the current situation for freelancers painfully well

ether

I'm on about 16k a year. this seems to be about a third less than a lot of folks i know. I still have a fairly hefty loan and overdraft from my student days and pretty much no expendable income but I can afford nice food and decent flat.

I tend to find people are suspicious of me because I dont appear to have any great aspirations toward having a 'career'
my time and personal relationships are worth more to me than a load of ephemeral shit and status, i get the impression a lot of the how much do your earn? what you do? questions are born out of peoples insecurities and need to define themselves as person through extraneous 'stuff' or symbols of status.

To be honest work demands so little of my time and I reckon i'm far more happy than most of my peers as a consequence. I generally get a good 5-6hrs a day too; make music, read, do visual stuff, and generally piss about. when people ask me 'what do you do?' i look confused and reply 'what ever i want'

everybodies different i suppose.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I left University thinking it was a waste of time and money, seeing that what I was studying wasn't particularly vocational (philosophy, see: useless), and because of the time involved.

My caution paid off: now I work a low-functioning government job where I waste all of my time staring into the void for 8 hours a day.

So I pulled the trigger and re-enrolled in University. I figure if I'm going to end up sitting in an office job, I'd prefer to at least get paid three times as much to do it and be able to go to the dentist once in a while.

Or something better.

$15,000 debt, here I come!!

zhao

there are no accidents
So I pulled the trigger and re-enrolled in University. I figure if I'm going to end up sitting in an office job, I'd prefer to at least get paid three times as much to do it and be able to go to the dentist once in a while.

Or something better.

what you studying?

design jobs have really slowed down this year. about 1/2 of what it used to be. glad the dj gigs are picking up a bit. going to find some new clients soon as i get a minute... just got a painting studio but it'll be at least 6 months to a year before that will pay off. but I have no doubts that it will.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Or something better.

Well, snap. I sent off my enrolment form literally 10 minutes ago. It felt good. :)