Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drunk food

poutine

get to know

Looks a bit like sweetcorn pored over a a massive tray of chips and gravy?

no corn. cheese curds! and chicken velouté sauce not gravy

with optional bacon, montreal smoked meat, onions, sausage, chili and so forth.

The dish originated in rural Quebec, Canada, in the late 1950s. Several Québécois communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964),[7] Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, and Victoriaville.[citation needed] One often-cited tale is that of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957,[8] when a customer ordered fries while waiting for his cheese curds from the Kingsey cheese factory in Kingsey Falls (now in Warwick and owned by Saputo Incorporated). Lachance is said to have exclaimed ça va faire une maudite poutine ("it will make a damn mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer.
    Last edited by nomos; 25-05-2009 at 12:30 AM.

these waffles you can get out of a dodgy van in Reykjavik in the middle of the night

Why have I not posted in this thread yet?
    Chips & cheese or chicken pakora do the trick. I'm trying quite hard to avoid drunk food at the mo though.

MESH must be pretty drunk to be able to eat a whole hairy man in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentative Andy View Post
    MESH must be pretty drunk to be able to eat a whole hairy man in a box.
    Well I knew the financial crisis had hit Iceland hard, but I didn't know people had taken to eating raw tramp.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Hackney.
    Sunday.
    23:45.
    Lahmacun: all salad, garlic and chilli.
    Open or wrap?
    One twenty pliz mate.

God bless Turkish takeaways.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Hackney.
    Sunday.
    Open or wrap?
    One twenty pliz mate.

what's a lahmacun? don't worry i'll ask google

i made a smoked aubergine, red pepper and chilli mezze from my 4 turkish cookbook today, that was good stoned food.

mr tea i'm so glad to read those stories, i have concoted vast meals in the past while off my head, often relatively elaborate dishes involving the oven for several hours at 3am. i used to have a 24 hour tesco garage at the end of my road, that was a haven/damnation in terms of encouraging elaborate recipes in the early hours. i'd get off the nightbus back from shoreditch right outside tooting tesco's and just spend my leftover cash on silly ingredients for that time of night.

has anyone talked about chips and cheese at any length? that with garlic mayo and a bit of salt got me through uni, it was the late night food of choice in oxford for literally everyone, students or locals, but i swear it's a rarity elsewhere.

i am stunned by parmo. i have got to try one of those. seriously i'd go on a late night culinary roadtrip of britain if anyone would subsidise me to do so.. where are the heritage lottery fund people when you need them?

Hackney.
    Sunday.
    Open or wrap?
    One twenty pliz mate.

Dont need to be drunk to eat that bruv.

Lahmacun is good stuff bruv

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    In Toronto we have this pizza chain called Amato's Pizza that produces these enormous slices with just about every variation of toppings you could fathom for pizza. Aside from my favourite, the Lucille (Asiago, Potatoes, Rosemary), all of them taste incredible drunk, and not so incredible sober.

Also not to forget Sneaky Dee's, the mexican food pub and venue whose kitchen remains open until something like 4am, for a King's Crown Nachos. This takes some bravery:

This is one reason among many why Canada is the worst country in the entire world

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    poutine

get to know
    This is another

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    has anyone talked about chips and cheese at any length? that with garlic mayo and a bit of salt got me through uni, it was the late night food of choice in oxford for literally everyone, students or locals, but i swear it's a rarity elsewhere.
    first rate!

Dan, I too am desparate to try a parmo. Maybe John Eden can drive us to Middlesborough in a van.

Cheese and chipswise: when I lived in Oxford I found the whole populace very keen on latenight cheese snacks, to the point where doner kebabs often had cheese mixed in. Nice. But rather weird.

Hackney.
    Sunday.
    Open or wrap?
    One twenty pliz mate.

I'm moving to a flat just off Green Lanes in Haringey this time next month. Obesity is imminent.

Dan - how do you smoke an aubergeine? I've had a few goes at doing that tomato and aubergeine thing you get in turkish places but it never quite has the smoky flavour...

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
    Dont need to be drunk to eat that bruv.

Lahmacun is good stuff bruv
    Oh absolutely, I wasn't even drunk, just a few pints. But the beer had made me hungrier than I would have been anyway, so it tasted even better than normal. I was literally groaning with pleasure as I ate it.

I once had a flat in Archway that was two minutes' walk from a Turkish bakery - used to get lahmacun'n'salad for lunch almost every day for a quid a pop. Amazing.