Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
hard to beat pierogies fried with bacon and onions smothered in sour cream, drunk or not.

perogies.jpg

Sod the naysayers, this is looking like a serious plus point to Canada.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Sod the naysayers, this is looking like a serious plus point to Canada.

But pierogies are Russian or Polish or Ukranian aren't they? The ones at Odessa in NYC are very good and very cheap. I like the ones filled with mashed potatoes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But pierogies are Russian or Polish or Ukranian aren't they? The ones at Odessa in NYC are very good and very cheap. I like the ones filled with mashed potatoes.

Doesn't matter. Fish'n'chips was brought to Victorian London by Sephardic Jews. Lahmacun is native to Turkey, but it's a serious plus point to Harringay, Hackney, Dalston.

Fuck McD's, this is the true globalised fast food.

nomadthethird

I've been to Canada so many times and never tried poutine... I have had disco fries in New Jersey, which lacks the mayonnaise.

Do they say "tuk" to mean knit winter cap/beanie in Ottawa or is that a Quebec thing? They said it where my relatives lived and I figured it must be Canadian.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I've been to Canada so many times and never tried poutine... I have had disco fries in New Jersey, which lacks the mayonnaise.

Do they say "tuk" to mean knit winter cap/beanie in Ottawa or is that a Quebec thing? They said it where my relatives lived and I figured it must be Canadian.

Yeah, spelt toque pronounced "toohk".
Mayonnaise is not a component of poutine.

nomadthethird

Yeah, spelt toque pronounced "toohk".
Mayonnaise is not a component of poutine.

Yeah I didn't think so, but someone wrote that earlier in the thread so I figured I was mistaken.

So to get this straight, it's what? Fries, gravy, cheese?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
has anyone talked about chips and cheese at any length? that with garlic mayo and a bit of salt got me through uni, it was the late night food of choice in oxford for literally everyone, students or locals, but i swear it's a rarity elsewhere.

Hmmm, don't think I've ever seen any particular condiment like that offered to go with chips n cheese, apart from salt/vinegar. Sounds potentially interesting though.
Chips and curry sauce is almost as good imo, have to say that gravy on chips really doesn't do it for me though.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
China Town. Cheap plates upon cheap plates of Chow Mein, General Tso Chicken, Sesame Beef, Fried Rice, or any other of the 200+ dishes on their menus, served on a white plastic tablecloth in a urinal puck restaurant terminally at war with health inspectors. Plus the added benefit of "cold tea" - beer disguised in a teapot.
3395369060_019869bdb0_o.jpg

050819luckyDragon.jpg

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I am so jealous that you tried a parmo. You're meant to have drunk eight pints of obscure Yorkshire bitter on the Borough Road beforehand, or it doesn't work.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I had a banana and lime pickle sandwich (on toasted wholemeal bread) this weekend. I wasn't drunk, but it made me think of this thread...