Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Things I've cooked while drunk/high/sleep-deprived/coming down:

Thai green curry, from scratch
lasagne, ditto
roast beef with roast spuds, leeks in cheese sauce and home-made gravy.

I am the KING of inebriated cooking.

luka

ive got a friend who has a habit of waking up in the morning cradling a burger or a kebab, the sheets all bloody with ketchup

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Penguin biscuit pakora.

:D

Does anyone remember that slob Tubby Isaacs, who used to sell jellied eels down Whitechapel at closing time? Is he dead?
that is brilliant, i hope we get an answer to this Martin.

again in the suburb where i did my formative drinking there was a cockles/whelks man would come round certain of the more spit/sawdust pubs toward closing time, various things of a seafood bent he had on offer.

and those Pepparami stick snacks
:rolleyes:

i am well jealous of Bassbeyonreason's parmo.

@alex, you are a legend!

LA and TO sound seriously on-point; tacos are always good, especially (i admit i have never been to Mexico so let's just say for large north american cities with good Mexican food) from the truck at about 5 am.

i am fascinated by how certain NYC street stalls get rinsed whilst neighbours go fallow; i read a story in TONY once about one particular midtown kebab cart that opened from about 4 am for a bit, just to catch an accumulation of cabbies that went by at that time, clubbers and so on.
and the man's competitors nearby who were ostensibly serving up equally keen stuff were left scratching their head as to his special ingredients.

there's a very good Pakistani caff on an arterial route into downtown Chicago, near where the old Cabrini Green neighbourhood was, about a mile away from the tony shops of the Gold Coast but in a fairly low-rent area and i've had some good grub there.
it also remains the only place in the USA where i've seen a televised cricket match.

few things beat the late-night frites gaff in Belgium, with their various accompaniments.

i had a cone of frites with some sort of soft, almost stewing-steak, sort of gravy doused over it about 5am in Antwerp once, and it sorted me right out.

woops

is not like other people
tubby isaac's world famous jellied eels stall sighted today around 5pm, being operated by a lady though.

pork scratchings are drinking food, not drunk food!

nomos

Administrator
poutine

Poutine_yum.jpg

get to know

nomos

Administrator
no corn. cheese curds! and chicken velouté sauce not gravy

with optional bacon, montreal smoked meat, onions, sausage, chili and so forth.

The dish originated in rural Quebec, Canada, in the late 1950s. Several Québécois communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964),[7] Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, and Victoriaville.[citation needed] One often-cited tale is that of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957,[8] when a customer ordered fries while waiting for his cheese curds from the Kingsey cheese factory in Kingsey Falls (now in Warwick and owned by Saputo Incorporated). Lachance is said to have exclaimed ça va faire une maudite poutine ("it will make a damn mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Why have I not posted in this thread yet?
Chips & cheese or chicken pakora do the trick. I'm trying quite hard to avoid drunk food at the mo though.

MESH must be pretty drunk to be able to eat a whole hairy man in a box. :D ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hackney.
Sunday.
23:45.
Lahmacun: all salad, garlic and chilli.
Open or wrap?
One twenty pliz mate.

God bless Turkish takeaways.

mos dan

fact music
Hackney.
Sunday.
23:45.
Lahmacun: all salad, garlic and chilli.
Open or wrap?
One twenty pliz mate.

God bless Turkish takeaways.

what's a lahmacun? don't worry i'll ask google :)

i made a smoked aubergine, red pepper and chilli mezze from my £4 turkish cookbook today, that was good stoned food.

mr tea i'm so glad to read those stories, i have concoted vast meals in the past while off my head, often relatively elaborate dishes involving the oven for several hours at 3am. i used to have a 24 hour tesco garage at the end of my road, that was a haven/damnation in terms of encouraging elaborate recipes in the early hours. i'd get off the nightbus back from shoreditch right outside tooting tesco's and just spend my leftover cash on silly ingredients for that time of night.

has anyone talked about chips and cheese at any length? that with garlic mayo and a bit of salt got me through uni, it was the late night food of choice in oxford for literally everyone, students or locals, but i swear it's a rarity elsewhere.

i am stunned by parmo. i have got to try one of those. seriously i'd go on a late night culinary roadtrip of britain if anyone would subsidise me to do so.. where are the heritage lottery fund people when you need them?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
In Toronto we have this pizza chain called Amato's Pizza that produces these enormous slices with just about every variation of toppings you could fathom for pizza. Aside from my favourite, the Lucille (Asiago, Potatoes, Rosemary), all of them taste incredible drunk, and not so incredible sober.

Also not to forget Sneaky Dee's, the mexican food pub and venue whose kitchen remains open until something like 4am, for a King's Crown Nachos. This takes some bravery:

1254330324_b8c9a1ecc5.jpg

This is one reason among many why Canada is the worst country in the entire world