continuum

smugpolice
Is there any progress on sorting out the spam problem? Maybe we need more moderators to delete the spam which gets through??

sufi

lala
there's already a captcha, there's also a 'spelling test' which is supposed to stop blatant bots,
still a fair bit coming through unfortunately
i'll keep an eye out for other solutions - any suggestions welcome (as long as they don't involve ugg boots, loius vuitton or topless girls in the kitchen)

nomos

Administrator
:mad:

It's bad lately. I think I banned 5 yesterday. Someone should tell the bots we're not google indexed.

sufi

lala
we could start moderating new registrations - i just don't like making people wait to post when they've signed up...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My mate got the following weird one at work... The first line reminds me of a line in The Master.

Dear Sir/Madam,

As you are no doubt aware I am a black Anglo-American, scientist, philosopher and historian of science known in Europe, Australia and the United States for my contributions to philosophy, the Natural Sciences and the Social and Economic Sciences. ...

When I was studying at CERN I got a letter - actual proper paper spam, in my pigeonhole! - that was much like this. Some nutter claiming he'd proven that time doesn't exist or something. It was brilliant, I wish I'd kept it, in fact I might still have it somewhere (would take a lot of digging, mind). I love it that someone had gone to the effort of printing out this letter, addressing it and mailing it at his own expense to, I presume, all the students currently working at the lab. Dunno if any of the academics received it, he probably thought their minds were too closed off by accepted physics dogma. Fucken sheeple!

Last edited:

sufi

lala
When I was studying at CERN I got a letter - actual proper paper spam, in my pigeonhole! - that was much like this. Some nutter claiming he'd proven that time doesn't exist or something. It was brilliant, I wish I'd kept it, in fact I might still have it somewhere (would take a lot of digging, mind). I love it that someone had gone to the effort of printing out this letter, addressing it and mailing it at his own expense to, I presume, all the students currently working at the lab. Dunno if any of the academics received it, he probably thought their minds were probably too closed off by accepted physics dogma. Fucken sheeple!
Scan it for us!!

sufi

lala
we could start moderating new registrations - i just don't like making people wait to post when they've signed up...
this kind of worked last time we started seeing a lot of spam registrations so I've switched it back on last night, & also pruned several hundred spammy looking accounts
hopefully we may have a bit of peace, though there may still be sleepers... (can a bot lurk?)

Big thanks to the other mods for patiently battling the bots - Matt B or Nomos probably have the hi-score i think

nomos

Administrator
this kind of worked last time we started seeing a lot of spam registrations so I've switched it back on last night, & also pruned several hundred spammy looking accounts
hopefully we may have a bit of peace, though there may still be sleepers... (can a bot lurk?)
Thanks a lot sufi :cool: I went through the recent registrations yesterday with the idea of pruning suspicious ones (lots from sina.com and coolbags.eu or whatever). But I could only see a way to do it one at a time so I backed off. Should be a big help because I think we did have sleepers.

sufi

lala
omnispam

{
{I have|I’ve} been {surfing|browsing} online more than {three|3|2|4} hours
today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
{It’s|It is} pretty worth enough for me.
{In my opinion|Personally|In my view}, if all {webmasters|site owners|website
owners|web owners} and bloggers made good content as you did, the {internet|net|web} will be
{much more|a lot more} useful than ever before.|
I {couldn’t|could not} {resist|refrain from} commenting.
{Very well|Perfectly|Well|Exceptionally well} written!|
{I will|I’ll} {right away|immediately} {take hold
of|grab|clutch|grasp|seize|snatch} your {rss|rss feed} as I {can not|can’t} {in finding|find|to find} your {email|e-mail} subscription {link|hyperlink}
or {newsletter|e-newsletter} service. Do {you have|you’ve} any?
{Please|Kindly} {allow|permit|let} me {realize|recognize|understand|recognise|know} {so that|in order that} I
{may just|may|could} subscribe. Thanks.|
{It is|It’s} {appropriate|perfect|the best} time to make some plans for the future and {it is|it’s} time to be happy.
{I have|I’ve} read this post and if I could I {want to|wish to|desire
to} suggest you {few|some} interesting things or {advice|suggestions|tips}.
{Perhaps|Maybe} you {could|can} write next articles referring to this article.
I {want to|wish to|desire to} read {more|even more} things about it!|
{It is|It’s} {appropriate|perfect|the best} time to make {a few|some} plans for
{the future|the longer term|the long run} and {it is|it’s} time to be happy.
{I have|I’ve} {read|learn} this {post|submit|publish|put up}
and if I {may just|may|could} I {want to|wish to|desire to} {suggest|recommend|counsel} you {few|some}
{interesting|fascinating|attention-grabbing} {things|issues} or {advice|suggestions|tips}.
{Perhaps|Maybe} you {could|can} write {next|subsequent} articles {relating to|referring
to|regarding} this article. I {want to|wish to|desire to} {read|learn} {more|even more} {things|issues} {approximately|about} it!|
{I have|I’ve} been {surfing|browsing} {online|on-line} {more than|greater than} {three|3} hours {these
days|nowadays|today|lately|as of late}, {yet|but} I
{never|by no means} {found|discovered} any
{interesting|fascinating|attention-grabbing} article like yours.
{It’s|It is} {lovely|pretty|beautiful} {worth|value|price} {enough|sufficient} for me.

{In my opinion|Personally|In my view}, if all {webmasters|site owners|website
owners|web owners} and bloggers made {just right|good|excellent} {content|content material} as {you did|you probably did},
the {internet|net|web} {will be|shall be|might be|will probably be|can be|will likely be} {much more|a lot more} {useful|helpful} than ever before.|
Ahaa, its {nice|pleasant|good|fastidious} {discussion|conversation|dialogue}
{regarding|concerning|about|on the topic of} this {article|post|piece
of writing|paragraph} {here|at this place} at this {blog|weblog|webpage|website|web site}, I have read all that, so {now|at this time} me also commenting
{here|at this place}.|
I am sure this {article|post|piece of writing|paragraph} has touched all the internet
{users|people|viewers|visitors}, its really really {nice|pleasant|good|fastidious} {article|post|piece of writing|paragraph} on building up new {blog|weblog|webpage|website|web site}.|
Wow, this {article|post|piece of writing|paragraph}
is {nice|pleasant|good|fastidious}, my {sister|younger sister} is analyzing {such|these|these
kinds of} things, {so|thus|therefore} I am going to {tell|inform|let know|convey} her.|
{Saved as a favorite|bookmarked!!}, {I really like|I like|I love} {your blog|your site|your web
site|your website}!|
Way cool! Some {very|extremely} valid points! I appreciate you {writing this|penning this} {article|post|write-up} {and the|and also
the|plus the} rest of the {site is|website is} {also very|extremely|very|also really|really} good.|
Hi, {I do believe|I do think} {this is an excellent|this is a
great} {blog|website|web site|site}. I stumbledupon it ;) {I will|I am going to|I’m going to|I may} {come back|return|revisit} {once again|yet again}
{since I|since i have} {bookmarked|book marked|book-marked|saved as a
favorite} it. Money and freedom {is the best|is the
greatest} way to change, may you be rich and continue to {help|guide}
{other people|others}.|
Woah! I’m really {loving|enjoying|digging} the template/theme of this {site|website|blog}.

It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s {very hard|very
difficult|challenging|tough|difficult|hard} to get
that “perfect balance” between {superb usability|user friendliness|usability} and {visual appearance|visual appeal|appearance}.
I must say {that you’ve|you have|you’ve} done a {awesome|amazing|very good|superb|fantastic|excellent|great} job with this.
{In addition|Additionally|Also}, the blog loads {very|extremely|super} {fast|quick} for me on {Safari|Internet explorer|Chrome|Opera|Firefox}.
{Superb|Exceptional|Outstanding|Excellent} Blog!|
These are {really|actually|in fact|truly|genuinely} {great|enormous|impressive|wonderful|fantastic} ideas in {regarding|concerning|about|on the topic
of} blogging. You have touched some {nice|pleasant|good|fastidious} {points|factors|things} here.
Any way keep up wrinting.|
{I love|I really like|I enjoy|I like|Everyone
loves} what you guys {are|are usually|tend to be} up too.

{This sort of|This type of|Such|This kind of}
clever work and {exposure|coverage|reporting}! Keep up the {superb|terrific|very
good|great|good|awesome|fantastic|excellent|amazing|wonderful} works guys I’ve {incorporated||added|included} you guys to {|my|our||my personal|my own}
blogroll.|
{Howdy|Hi there|Hey there|Hi|Hello|Hey}! Someone in my {Myspace|Facebook}
group shared this {site|website} with us so I came to {give it a look|look it over|take a look|check it out}.

I’m definitely {enjoying|loving} the information. I’m {book-marking|bookmarking} and will be tweeting
this to my followers! {Terrific|Wonderful|Great|Fantastic|Outstanding|Exceptional|Superb|Excellent} blog and {wonderful|terrific|brilliant|amazing|great|excellent|fantastic|outstanding|superb} {style and design|design and style|design}.|
{I love|I really like|I enjoy|I like|Everyone loves} what you guys {are|are usually|tend to be} up too.
{This sort of|This type of|Such|This kind of} clever work and
{exposure|coverage|reporting}! Keep up the {superb|terrific|very good|great|good|awesome|fantastic|excellent|amazing|wonderful} works guys I’ve {incorporated|added|included} you guys to {|my|our|my
personal|my own} blogroll.|
{Howdy|Hi there|Hey there|Hi|Hello|Hey} would you mind {stating|sharing} which blog platform you’re {working with|using}?

I’m {looking|planning|going} to start my own blog {in the near future|soon} but I’m having a {tough|difficult|hard} time {making
a decision|selecting|choosing|deciding} between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your {design and style|design|layout} seems
different then most blogs and I’m looking for something {completely unique|unique}.
P.S {My apologies|Apologies|Sorry} for {getting|being} off-topic but I had
to ask!|
{Howdy|Hi there|Hi|Hey there|Hello|Hey} would you mind letting me know
which {webhost|hosting company|web host} you’re
{utilizing|working with|using}? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 {completely
different|different} {internet browsers|web browsers|browsers} and I must say this blog loads a lot {quicker|faster} then most.

Can you {suggest|recommend} a good {internet hosting|web hosting|hosting} provider at a {honest|reasonable|fair} price?

{Thanks a lot|Kudos|Cheers|Thank you|Many thanks|Thanks}, I appreciate it!|
{I love|I really like|I like|Everyone loves} it {when people|when individuals|when folks|whenever people} {come together|get together} and share {opinions|thoughts|views|ideas}.
Great {blog|website|site}, {keep it up|continue the good work|stick with it}!|
Thank you for the {auspicious|good} writeup.
It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to {far|more} added agreeable from you!
{By the way|However}, how {can|could} we communicate?|
{Howdy|Hi there|Hey there|Hello|Hey} just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The {text|words} in your {content|post|article} seem to
be running off the screen in {Ie|Internet explorer|Chrome|Firefox|Safari|Opera}.
I’m not sure if this is a {format|formatting} issue or something to do with {web browser|internet browser|browser} compatibility but I {thought|figured} I’d post to let you know.
... & on and on for another 15000 characters

mairi

Just got a scam e-mail pretending to be from the Nigerian Fraud Squad, offering to reimburse me for money lost to onlne scammers.
Amazing.

Are there any people who beleive in that kind of staff?
No really, you get your message from unknown person where they are teelling you that you won a huge amount of money from smb you don't know and they just need your personal details and you should beleive in that???

sufi

lala
Are there any people who beleive in that kind of staff?
No really, you get your message from unknown person where they are teelling you that you won a huge amount of money from smb you don't know and they just need your personal details and you should beleive in that???
maybe they are more cunning than you think... If they write implausible messages then only the most gullible segment of recipients will respond, who will be the most likely to follow through with actual cash,