luka

This sounds quite Buddhistic actually.

one way of looking at it is the reverberations of 'eastern (inscrutable, mystic, oriental) thought' hitting the west
filtered through schop, nietz, d&g etc

thats the starting point of this trajectory.

Last edited:

luka

i tend to (try to) view resistance as feedback. that's partly how i use a cybernetic model.
but what ccru seem to get from d&g and what d&g seem to get from nietz is a moralistic
sorting of forces into active (good) AND reactive (bad) and it's that loss of complexity that
gives way to accelerationism. for me feedback
is a way of making microadjustments while in flight
whereas for land et al resistance is a goad to will
will becomes force force becomes violence.
war universe.

luka

in a fluid meduim any movement displaces. any movement forward creates a movement backwards.
the movement forward is the active, the wash is reactive etc so im not chucking out the idea
of sorting forces into active and reactive at all....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
K-punk's stuff about organisms being 'cybernetic' reminds of the way that, on many times when I've taken ketamine, I've been acutely aware of the sensation of being a physico-chemical system, or more accurately a set of subsystems that are dependent on each other but also to an extent autonomous, that may even have an agenda of their own, and only a small part of which is conscious. Or perhaps that the other subsystems have a sort of consciousness of their own that the part I consider 'me' is unaware of most of the time. Like how an octopus has a sub-brain in each of its legs, which control the creature's movements without necessarily receiving commands from the main brain. So there's your D&G 'rhizomatic' - as opposed to centralized, vertical, hierarchical - organization scheme, I suppose.

This has sometimes made me think "Wow, this must be what it felt like to be William Burroughs all the time" - I remember telling Rich and this, and the two of us jokingly calling it 'instant WSB powder' for a while (although it's pretty much the only drug I don't recall him writing about - at least in the bits that I've read.)

one way of looking at it is the reverberations of 'eastern (inscrutable, mystic, oriental) thought' hitting the west
filtered through schop, nietz, d&g etc

thats the starting point of this trajectory.

I was thinking the other day how awesome it'd be if there'd been this mirror-image Speculative Realism scene develop in India or Thailand or Japan or wherever, as a result of people there absorbing Thomas Aquinas, Descartes, Kant and so on, and fusing or mutating it with their own Hindu/Buddhist/Taoist etc. traditions. But maybe that's actually happened and I've just never heard of it. (Perhaps more likely that it's an inherently postmodern (or post-postmodern) phenomenon and as such had to happen in societies that had gone through modernism/modernity, i.e. 'the West'.)

Last edited:

luka

K-punk's stuff about organisms being 'cybernetic' reminds of the way that, on many times when I've taken ketamine, I've been acutely aware of the sensation of being a physico-chemical system, or more accurately a set of subsystems that are dependent on each other but also to an extent autonomous, that may even have an agenda of their own, and only a small part of which is conscious. Or perhaps that the other subsystems have a sort of consciousness of their own that the part I consider 'me' is unaware of most of the time. Like how an octopus has a sub-brain in each of its legs, which control the creature's movements without necessarily receiving commands from the main brain. So there's your D&G 'rhizomatic' - as opposed to centralized, vertical, hierarchical - organization scheme, I suppose.

This has sometimes made me think "Wow, this must be what it felt like to William Burroughs all the time" - I remember telling Rich and this, and the two of us jokingly calling it 'instant WSB powder' for a while.

I was thinking the other day how awesome it'd be if there'd been this mirror-image Speculative Realism scene develop in India or Thailand or Japan or wherever, as a result of people there absorbing Thomas Aquinas, Descartes, Kant and so on, and fusing or mutating it with their own Hindu/Buddhist/Taoist etc. traditions. But maybe that's actually happened and I've just never heard of it. (Perhaps more likely that it's an inherently postmodern (or post-postmodern) phenomenon and as such had to happen in societies that had gone through modernism/modernity, i.e. 'the West'.)

ive never done ketamine. the cybernetic stuff mark got through d&g who got it through bateson probably, or perhaps he found bateson the same way i did, through rd laing. acid told me to go and read burroughs carefully. thats why i got into him. i really would like to write the best wsb essay one day. the surface hasnt even been scraped yet.

there's all sorts of western currents warped in eastern worlds i guess, from styles of music to economic suppositions, not a clue about the philosophy thouugh.

Numbers

I have been watching his abécédaire lately: often and unexpectedly quite funny, but rendered bittersweet by the knowledge of his suicide shortly afterwards.
I wonder why he did not clip his nails, though.

other_life

bioconfused
I have been watching his abécédaire lately: often and unexpectedly quite funny, but rendered bittersweet by the knowledge of his suicide shortly afterwards.
I wonder why he did not clip his nails, though.

been watching the abecedaire myself too! he was fuckn sharp

other_life

bioconfused
i know this is dissensus but it's pretty depressing looking back at this thread and seeing it derailed by venom about Badiou

luka

i know this is dissensus but it's pretty depressing looking back at this thread and seeing it derailed by venom about Badiou

A small scale power struggle was underway and small amounts of cultural capital were felt to be at stake. I find it quite interesting looking back at that particular rift.

vimothy

yurp
I'm reading 1000 Years of Nonlinear History atm, by Manuel de Landa. Life is too short to read Deleuze, frankly, but de Landa - kind of pop-Deleuzianism - is ok.

vimothy

yurp
he comes out with some pretty amusing shit: "Our organic bodies are... nothing but temporary coagulations in the flows [of energy and materials]".