luka

and these questions are why, ultimately, people settle for boring notions of liberal tolerance. becasue they realise under most alternative scenarios they would end up against the wall.

vimothy

yurp
but it's also like why should you care about geology or astrophysics. youre not personally invested in these, theyre just processes that are going on out there

vimothy

yurp
Everyone still thinks they'd be the one to make it out of a disaster though. You never see yourself as the hapless fool disappearing into the ravine in the background.. You're always the hero. The one ducking falling masonry and gunfire, just about making it.
"nothing human makes it out of the near future"

luka

but it's also like why should you care about geology or astrophysics. youre not personally invested in these, theyre just processes that are going on out there

this is the idea, as vim said earlier. intelligence maximisation, in which intelligence carriers move from human to machine form, is an impersonal natural process

luka

you can critique it, if you want, but it's like, who cares, it's a just a movie. if you like it, and i do as it happens, you like it.

version

There's a massive disconnect between reading this stuff and actually going outside and seeing people buying (fascist) potatoes or fruit in the grocers or something. You read it like "oh man," then you see how boring and ordinary everything actually is and Land and Deleuze and whoever else just look like people desperately trying to entertain themselves and effectively writing a Boomkat review for the world.

luka

yeah reality is a downer., thats why we need myths to animate it. im not opposed to that. im ok with it. with the proviso that, as we have all learned, most myths are dangerous.

luka

that's why drugs are the only good thing in life. becasue they make life into something not boring. the only happiness you will know and the only hope you can beleive in will come through drugs. they are the only worthwhile thing.

luka

not unique to Land,. it's standard in AI discourse. but even so it remains a juicy concept.

version

It's like the Iain Sinclair or Tom McCarthy thing. When I'm in an impatient mood I'm just thinking "It's literally just an alley, mate. It's not a 'hidden portal'. There aren't 'codes and signs' everywhere. You live in a boring city in a boring world like everyone else. Grow up."

luka

It's like the Iain Sinclair or Tom McCarthy thing. When I'm in an impatient mood I'm just thinking "It's literally just an alley, mate. It's not a 'hidden portal'. There aren't 'codes and signs' everywhere. You live in a boring city in a boring world like everyone else. Grow up."

it's hard isn't it. because i think that atttiude leads to suicide

luka

and im not denigrating suicide or saying its not appropriate but at the same time i can't help thinking life is primarily about developing anti suicide strategies