craner

Beast of Burden
it's a bunch of guys who think they can make some money harnessing the marketing potential of blogs + a group of people looking to increase their status and/or overthrow the despotism/hedonism/sophism/revanchism/conservativism of contemporary late-capitalist neo-liberal post-modernist thought/society by means of philosophically-anchored polemics directed against miscellaneous bad things, in the name of miscellaneous good things.

In hindsight, that was a pithy, almost perfect summation of Zero books.

luka

I'm reading the revenge of love. There's something about Lewis I just really love. It's a wonder D&G don't refer to him given his fondness for describing everything and everyone as a machine.

vimothy

yurp
Yes, interesting. Don't think I've ever seen a reference to Lewis in any of Deleuze's works. Lewis otoh was quite critical of the "the cult of flux", of which Deleuze was surely an inheritor.

luka

Deleuze writes a whole book on Bergson and Bergson is a major target of time and western man, yep... The time cult! And there's the politics.... but Lewis is obviously in jh prynne despite the politics.

Numbers

I wonder why he did not clip his nails, though.

Found this on the (fascinating) subject

Example: my nails, which are long and uncut. At the end of your letter you say that my worker's jacket (it's not true, it's a peasant's jacket) is worth Marilyn Monroe's pleated bodice and my nails, Greta Garbo's dark glasses. And you're inundating me with ironic and malicious advice. Since you come back to it several times, I'll explain it to you. We can always say that my mother used to cut them off for me, and that it is related to Oedipus and castration (grotesque, but psychoanalytical interpretation). We can also notice, by observing the tips of my fingers, that I am missing the usually protective fingerprints, so that touching an object and especially a tissue with my fingertips is a nervous pain that requires the protection of long nails (teratological and selectionist interpretation). It can still be said, and it is true, that my dream is not to be invisible but imperceptible, and that I compensate for this dream by having nails that I can put in my pocket, so that nothing seems more shocking to me than someone who looks at them (psycho-sociological interpretation). Finally, we can say: "You must not eat your nails because they are yours; if you like nails, eat those of others, if you want and if you can" (political interpretation, Darien). But you choose the ugliest interpretation: he wants to stand out, to do his Greta Garbo. In any case, it is curious that, of all my friends, none of them have ever noticed my nails, finding them completely natural, planted there at random as if by the wind that brings seeds and that makes no one talk.

Numbers

It's a wonderfully snide complaint, though. Next time somebody accuses me of some quirk, I should attempt such typology as well.
His whole bit on whining in the abcédaire is among the most hilarious stuff I have ever seen.

version

»One can conceive of a continuous acoustic flow that traverses the world and that even encompasses silence. A musician is someone who appropriates something from this flow: notes? Aggregates of notes? No? What will we call the new sound from a musician?«

version

Get A Thousand Plateaus, read the Massumi introduction and rhizome chapter a dozen times, experimenting with different levels of wakefulness and sobriety. Don't move on until you can imagine becoming-orchid. Never use the word rhizome in conversation if you want people to keep listening to you. Skip ahead to the part about submarines and re-read the line "never think a smooth space will suffice to save us" (or whatever). Apply to step one. Then start wandering around the rest of it - metalurgists, refrains, war machines, wolf men, etc. Pick one you like and try building yourself a machine with it. If you're happy with the results then try a few more. In that case, be prepared to defend yourself or hide your work because D&G are less fashionable these days, having been replaced by smarter men who keep their socks in kitchen drawers and hang pictures of Stalin over their DVD collections.

Ordered a copy last night so I can test this.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Where's the patriotic disdain for the French I expect from honest red cheeked beef devouring Brits?

Dr Johnson would be gutted.

woops

is not like other people
Is that the same Dr Sam who declared patriotism the last refuge of a scoundrel? Just wondering