Pripyat

alex

Do not read this.
Wasnt too sure where to post this, however I have always had an (un)healthy obsession with Pripyat & the Chernobyl disaster, however this is a picture collection from deviant_man on Live Journal, who rode around Pripyat and the 'Fourth Zone' just taking pictures, (some of which are awe inspiring)

http://community.livejournal.com/abandonedplaces/1651741.html

dd222f1e2b4255c10419ec97e235ba9a.jpg

polystyle

In the 'Zone' ( Ref: "Stalker")

Interesting to see in the comments that someone says this area is now 'open' ...
Perhaps this person has been there before as I saw a series of 'Zone' photos maybe from the same person.
If so, nice update.

I too have an unhealthy obsession with Chernobyl. To me that this disaster happened destroys any argument that Nuclear power stations are a sensible idea, though the fact that theres nothing you can really do with depleted uranium is another good reason.

This is a very good photo tour of Pripyat from someone who went on one of guided tours.
http://www.grcade.com/viewtopic.php?t=2217

A school classroom. Presumably most of the childrens parents worked in the plant.
2898452252_db408edb9e_o.jpg

Some graffiti
2897112806_861e8483c3_o.jpg

It amazes me how many people break into the excluded zone to loot, and in this case to tag walls. Apparently touching surfaces is a big no no, they absorb the radiation much more than air.

A year or two ago the BBC show Cooking In the Danger Zone visited the area. There were an old farming couple who still lived there and seemed remarkably unharmed by the radiation. If I remember rightly soldiers who patrol there have been known to hunt animals (probably foxes/ bears/ deers etc) for either their pelts or for food!

IdleRich

IdleRich
I heard that it was the grass which was the worst/best storage place for radiation. Either way I love this kind of thing in a kind of weird way. Who has seen that abandoned Japanese theme park? That's good.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
my cousins hosted a child from an area right outside of chernobyl for a number of summers. she was amazed at all the grass in ohio----she said that all that grass must be incredibly expensive...

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's great as well - they did a feature on it in V*ce magazine recently when they blagged their when on to the island for some photos.